Author Topic: Jacko has retired  (Read 6516 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Re: Jacko has retired
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2014, 01:44:51 PM »
...and lo after 10,000 days of darkness, the mists of mediocrity that enveloped the tribe finally, slowly, began to roll away from the road of punt, behold the faithful as they dance with joy....

...so let it be written, so let it be done....

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline jezza

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2014, 01:47:59 PM »
Thanks for your service Jacko.

Will always remember you for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RhC3DRwQxg

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2014, 01:50:14 PM »
Seems very strange, the timing of it I mean

Anyways..

Thanks Jacko, success to you for future endeavours  :clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2014, 02:01:57 PM »
Half the dopey flogs on BF are actually hoping he changes his mind...."but we really need him"  "who's going to replace him on the bench?"....hahaha ...oh man.....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2014, 02:09:53 PM »
Could be that he was told he would be a late in on Sunday. He then said he couldn't trust his body to get through the whole game and called it quits.
Put the team first!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2014, 02:10:53 PM »
No lap like Kingy I guess.....  :'(

We will have to win the next two so he can come down amongst the cheer squad at G and share a Midori and Lemonade.  :cheers

tony_montana

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2014, 02:27:55 PM »
rayzorwire will be devastated

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2014, 02:34:51 PM »
Seems very strange, the timing of it I mean

Anyways..

Thanks Jacko, success to you for future endeavours  :clapping

Agree. Really weird timing. Just heard it on the radio. ABC was still saying he is in line to play on Sunday. Good luck to him and best wishes for the future. Out of football always came across as someone who was very bright. He should be commended for his efforts for charity. Whilst I was not the greatest fan of him as a footballer he deserved to win the best and fairest last year. His game in beating one of the greats in Ablett was sensational. One could never doubt his courage.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2014, 02:46:17 PM »
Selfless decision.

Offline Tigger

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2014, 02:46:22 PM »
Could be that he was told he would be a late in on Sunday. He then said he couldn't trust his body to get through the whole game and called it quits.
Put the team first!

I think you are on the money with that post.

If it was otherwise (ie told he wasnt playing), he could simply have waited till Monday and announced it then.  He might have woken up this morning stiff and sore from yesterdeay's training session and realised that his body was shot and not up to AFL finals level - didnt want to let the team down.

At last year's B&F said he was considering retiring after 2012 and was pursuaded to play on - he had no pre-season and it showed, injuries mounted thise year...I think he definately put the team first - allows Dimma and coaches to plan without him...just in case he was called in to the 22 - or even if they took him over as an emergency...

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2014, 03:04:22 PM »
SG1 is one of the academically smartest footballers going around. He was absolutely crap for a large part of his career. In his defence he was always given the poo jobs during a game and it's not like we were remotely close to a premiership during the majority of his playing tenure. I am really happy last year something clicked and he learnt to play within his limitations and was extremely serviceable to the team which was reflected with him grabbing 9 brownlow votes and the B+F. Tagging Ablett in our GCS win was extremely selfless of him.

All the best to him. I actually think his intellect is wasted in football. I think community work is where his heart is and I have no doubts he would make a fantastic public servant.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2014, 03:06:41 PM »
SG1 is one of the academically smartest footballers going around. He was absolutely crap for a large part of his career. In his defence he was always given the poo jobs during a game and it's not like we were remotely close to a premiership during the majority of his playing tenure. I am really happy last year something clicked and he learnt to play within his limitations and was extremely serviceable to the team which was reflected with him grabbing 9 brownlow votes and the B+F. Tagging Ablett in our GCS win was extremely selfless of him.

All the best to him. I actually think his intellect is wasted in football. I think community work is where his heart is and I have no doubts he would make a fantastic public servant.

which has nothing to do with his footballing
Caracella and Balmey.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2014, 03:12:11 PM »
yep selfless unlike that flog newman
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2014, 03:36:42 PM »
rayzorwire will be devastated

With Danny boy, Tucky & TW all no longer at the club now surely he won't be renewing his membership.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 03:39:11 PM by one-eyed »

- Thomas Sowell

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2014, 03:38:29 PM »
Shock as wounded Tiger Dan Jackson retires

Travis King and Tim Roman 
afl.com.au
September 5, 2014 2:21 PM

IN A SURPRISE at Tigerland, Richmond's reigning best and fairest winner Daniel Jackson has announced his immediate retirement.

Jackson was named in the Tigers' 25-man squad to face Port Adelaide in Sunday's elimination final but told his teammates on Friday morning that he was bowing out of football due to injury.

"We've been aware of his challenges this year trying to get his body right, obviously there's physical and also mental challenges with that," Tigers general manager of football Dan Richardson said on Friday.

"So we weren't shocked by the decision, but in the end obviously that got the better of him and he's made a decision that it's all over for him.

"After a great year last year winning the Jack Dyer Medal, obviously Dan was hoping to repeat that but injuries have got the better of him this year.

"In the end he's made a really selfless decision. He wasn't confident in his body – not only next year – but even right now."

The 28-year-old was restricted to just 10 games this season after an interrupted pre-season, and suffered with hip, glute and lower back injuries during the year.

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick and Richardson unsuccessfully tried to convince Jackson to see out the season.

"Certainly we both tried to do that but you could see in his eyes that he was comfortable with the call and in the end that's all you can do (is) respect that," Richardson said.

Richardson hoped Jackson's emotional farewell would have a positive impact on the playing group ahead of the Power clash.

"I think in many ways the impact will be positive in a sense because it's a reminder for us all that footy doesn't last forever and you've got to take your opportunities when they're in front of you," he said.

"There was some emotion in the room, I have no doubt about that, but the players have been around a bit and understand these situations happen in footy.

"Dan was certainly really emotional but as far as the playing group is concerned the timing and the announcement is about making sure that we're able to focus on this weekend."

Only last week, Hardwick was talking about the midfielder as a potential wildcard in the finals for the Tigers.

"If we go further he's an important player for us," Hardwick said last Thursday.

"He is the sort of player that for mine is a finals type player – he's hard, he's tough and he wins his own contested ball."

After contemplating retirement at the end of 2012, Jackson produced some career best football last season and played every game to win the Tigers' best and fairest.

Hardwick said the 28-year-old's 2014 season had been disappointing "from an output point of view" after a poor preparation.

"He's had a horrible run with injury, he didn't have a preseason," the coach said.

Jackson's place in the squad to face the Power was taken by Ben Lennon, with the final 22 to be named later on Friday.

Richardson lauded Jackson as a great clubman and "a great role model for the game", whose community and AFL Players' Association work would hold him in good stead for life after football.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-05/wounded-tiger-jackson-retires