Author Topic: Surprise surprise, Lloyd and Russell say Richmond won't beat Port  (Read 904 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Russell: Richmond’s Cinderella story will end against Power on Sunday

Herald-Sun
September 06, 2014 6:26PM

SORRY to spoil the fun and write a dead Bambi story, but Richmond cannot possibly win the AFL premiership, and their fairytale will end dramatically on Sunday.

Nine victories in a row to steal the very last finals spot is a wonderful bedtime story for Tiger toddlers to be told for generations, but it will not just end against Port Adelaide at the Adelaide Oval on Sunday, it will end with a blown out margin.

The Tigers’ grand final was last week. Eight weeks of emotion fuelled energy and spirit, parlayed for the ninth time into an exhausting, final moment victory an against a weakened Sydney, which used that game to rest key players and prepare for yesterdays clash with Fremantle.

That fighting Richmond win was epic, and the stats in isolation were extremely flattering. But it was fools gold.

The Swans had their Brownlow Medal contender Josh Kennedy out, gave the day off to their superstar matchwinner Lance Franklin and number one ruckman Mike Pyke, and had two other best eighteen players Ben McGlynn and Craig Bird also sidelined.

Richmond rightly celebrated the victory like the season highlight it was.

But across the other side of the country, Port Adelaide’s extremely disappointed and steely focused team watched the Tigers become their opponents from the Virgin lounge of the Perth Airport following the Power’s loss to Fremantle.

I watched Richmond win with the Port players. The contrast in emotions was extraordinary.

The Tigers’ impossible dream of 13 wins in a row to win the unwinnable premiership from a horror 3-10, season start, would be the greatest football Cinderella story ever told if it happened. No AFL team has ever won a premiership from eighth. Under the current finals system, no team has ever won a flag from outside the top four.

But what has propelled the interest and hysteria to fantasy levels is the fact that the ever hopeful and resilient Tiger army has lived on dreams and fairytales for much of their lives. The joke is on them. They know it, and they don’t care.

Richmond’s internal standard for AFL/VFL success has long been debated.

The Tigers have never won an AFL flag, have only reached the finals three times in the past three decades, and have not played in a grand final for 31 years.

Last season was considered a success when Richmond finished the home and away year in fifth spot, and then subsequently and embarrassingly lost their elimination final to the ninth finishing lucky loser Carlton.

On Sunday night, when the Tigers’ year ends and the dust has settled, this season will also be viewed as a success without any finals success.

Their familiar feeling of contentment will prevail despite the fact that Richmond will have dropped from fifth last season to eighth this season.

And the man who echoed exactly where Richmond is at right now is its captain, Trent Cotchin, who revealed this week that he would seriously consider not leading his Tigers into their history making battle on Sunday if his heavily pregnant and expecting wife suddenly went into labour.

Each to his own, and many would respect his decision if he missed Sunday’s contest. I would applaud it if he were not captain, or it was a mid season game.

But I can’t imagine an Australian cricket captain missing the final day of a series deciding Ashes Test, or a professional tennis player walking out on a Wimbledon singles final, or a professional golfer leading the US Masters and suddenly abandoning his final round.

But I thank Trent and Richmond for their reminder to the football world that Sunday’s cutthroat, sudden death, history making, club defining moment is only a footy game.

The AFL’s embarrassingly mismanaged jumper controversy has also added some tasty spice. How a team that refused to act on an AFL demand to produce an adequate away jumper, could be given priority ahead of a club that both finished higher on the ladder and got of its backside and adhered to AFL guidelines and created an alternative strip, needs further investigation.

And Port captain Travis Boak’s comment about former Power teammate turned Tiger Troy Chaplin, “I hope he is enjoying his year”, after Chaplin kissed his Richmond jumper to rub salt into Port’s losing wounds at Etihad Stadium in round 17, was pure gold. More please!

Political correctness and the desire to not hand opponents ammunition has filtered modern football reality of it’s true anger, passion and rivalry.

It’s OK to not like each other. Only one team wins and seventeen others lose by the end of September, and football is a man’s game, played by emotionally charged warriors with opinions. It’s nice to see and hear a couple of opinions occasionally.

And in my opinion, the top five teams this season were a whole class above the bottom three finalists, Essendon, North Melbourne and Richmond.

Which is why Port Adelaide will win make venison of Bambi on Sunday.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/russell-richmonds-cinderella-story-will-end-against-power-on-sunday/story-fndv8s6g-1227050069841

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Surprise surprise, Lloyd and Russell say Richmond won't beat Port
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 11:39:05 PM »
Adelaide Oval seals Port advantage as excitement builds over tantalising Tigers clash

Matthew Lloyd
     The Age
    September 6, 2014 - 5:00PM

If you haven't watched a game live at the Adelaide Oval, put it on your bucket list for 2015 as football in South Australia has this year been a phenomenon because of this magnificent, revamped stadium and its atmosphere.

Even as a neutral observer I can't help but get excited at the thought of Sunday's elimination final and the electricity that will be generated when the Tigers enter the Port Adelaide cauldron off the back of a nine-game winning streak.

There's little doubt that given Port's form throughout this year all the pressure is on the Power, but with all the hype and emotion around both clubs this game shapes as one of the best of the season.

On July 13, when these sides last met, the Tigers prevailed by 20 points in a high-scoring match at Docklands. Former Port Adelaide player Troy Chaplin kicked a couple of goals late in the game and celebrated his feat by grabbing the front of his Richmond jumper to signify his passion for his new club. In the press conference, Port skipper Travis Boak made the comment that Chaplin got the win on that occasion but added, "I hope he's enjoyed the year he's had at Richmond."  It was a none-too-subtle whack at a player who left Port because he believed they were on the road to nowhere.

Most would have agreed with Chaplin at the time, but the Port players have never taken too kindly to the email Chaplin sent the players on his departure indicating all the areas in which he thought Port Adelaide needed to improve. I don't think Boak expected to see Chaplin or his Richmond teammates in the finals when he made his comment. Certainly, at the time the Tigers seemed unlikely to stitch together the wins they needed to make the finals.

Richmond's turnaround has made this home and away season one of the best of recent years. You can never put your finger on where a revival like this starts, but a mid-season honesty session seems to have woken Punt Road up from its mediocrity and the AFL competition has been all the better for it.

Four players signify the Tiger turnaround for me: Ivan Maric, Brett Deledio, Alex Rance and the boy whom the Giants no longer required, Anthony Miles.

Since coming into the team in round 11, Miles has had an average of 24 disposals, 11 contested possessions and seven clearances a match. This has allowed for Deledio to play predominantly forward, which has been a masterstroke by Damien Hardwick. Deledio has always been a quality player but he has now become elite as he is hurting the opposition with every possession, which wasn't always the case in the past.

The Tigers were conceding 90 points a game when Rance missed matches early in the season but with him back - and in All-Australian form - the Tigers have restricted the opposition to just 71 points a game over the past 10 matches. Rance will get the job on Jay Schulz, which will be one of the key match-ups.

The other key match-up will be Port Adelaide's Matthew Lobbe up against big Ivan. Both rucks have had brilliant seasons and can win plenty of football around the ground. Lobbe has tapered off a bit in the second half of the season but will need to be at his competitive best to nullify Maric, who is the barometer of the Richmond side.

Port Adelaide fell in a big hole through the middle stages of the season and has won just four of its past 11 games. The competition has had 18 months to have a good look at the Power and opposition sides have learnt to shut down their ability to run and carry the football.

Port has also dropped off in its desire to win the hard ball. Even Ken Hinkley and the players would admit that they were being outnumbered at the contest during the lull they were in four to five weeks ago.

Despite this, the past month has been a really good tune-up for the finals and Port didn't lose any admirers with their performance against Fremantle last week.

It has been a great effort by the Tigers to get to where they are today but I believe this is where their run will end. Robbie Gray, Travis Boak, Hamish Hartlett, Chad Wingard and Ollie Wines form a midfield that bats deeper than Richmond's and the return of Jackson Trengove and Alipate Carlile over the last month has been a big reason for the Power's improved performance.

All the pressure is on Port Adelaide to win today - nothing less is acceptable - whereas the Tigers will be applauded whatever the result. T

The mental attitude of both teams will play a major part, but surely playing in front of a rapturous home crowd is a huge advantage for Port Adelaide.   

I believe the Power will end the Richmond run with a five-goal win.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/adelaide-oval-seals-port-advantage-as-excitement-builds-over-tantalising-tigers-clash-20140906-10cvdg.html

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 11:54:02 PM »
should show the players these :shh
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 09:10:14 AM »
Nothing wrong with Lloyd's article.

The other moron is just taking a cheap shot for no reason.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 09:48:34 AM »
Nothing wrong with Lloyd's article.

The other moron is just taking a cheap shot for no reason.

Who is the other moron?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 10:02:27 AM »
should show the players these :shh

I dont know if that does anything..
Do you remember the scum vs filth game where one of the blues guys showed the team the newspaper article just before they ran up the race??
He was foaming at the mouth and tore it up.. they still lost  :lol pity they got beat by the filth though  :chuck
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 10:53:18 AM »
Dwayne Russell should stick to working as a carny.

Lloyd = sour grapes
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 11:02:38 AM »
This wouldn't be Dwayne Russell - the former vice captain of Port Adelaide magpies.
Unleash the tornado

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 11:24:07 AM »
This wouldn't be Dwayne Russell - the former vice captain of Port Adelaide magpies.

Why yes it would
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 11:25:01 AM »
Dwayne Russell, doyen of flogbags.   :wallywink

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 11:44:12 AM »
I thought Dwayne supports the crows?
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

1980 I Was There

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 12:00:43 PM »
No different from that king dick carey who said that Richmond could not possibly beat Sydney and won't make the finals.
FLOGS, the lot of them and I don't read their dribble (unless they're saying that we could win of course hehehehehehe).

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 12:36:12 PM »
Lol

Maric and rance etc not bambi you barca di drinking gimp

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 12:46:09 PM »