Author Topic: Tigers won’t suffer finals scar: Cotchin (AAP)  (Read 1148 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers won’t suffer finals scar: Cotchin (AAP)
« on: September 08, 2014, 06:33:55 PM »
Tigers won’t suffer finals scar
By AAP,
8 Sep 2014

Richmond skipper Trent Cotchin says the Tigers won’t be scarred by another early finals exit despite being dumped out of the AFL playoffs by Port Adelaide on Sunday.

The Power brought an end to Richmond’s fairytale run with a 57-point victory to knock the Tigers out at the elimination final stage.

It is the second time in as many seasons that the Tigers have been eliminated in the first week of September action.

Cotchin believed there would be no lingering effects for his young side and was adamant they could beat their September blues come next season, particularly after sneaking into the top eight in the final round of the season following a nine-match winning streak.

“You want to go all the way through to the finals, and as a group, we are disappointed because you want to play in as many and long as you can in finals and we fell well short of it today,” he said.

“We are a proud group and we worked so hard for the year, we didn’t look like there was going to be an opportunity, but we worked ourselves into a position where there was.

“It’s a credit to the group, but the performance we put up today was really disappointing so it’s going to be a tough summer and a bitter pill to swallow.”

Cotchin also defended his decision at the coin toss to kick into a strong breeze at the northern end of Adelaide Oval.

The choice proved costly as the hosts piled on eight goals in a blistering opening term that stunned the Tigers.

“It looked like it (the wind) was going the other way, it was pretty swirly out there so I didn’t feel it was a tremendous advantage,” Cotchin said.

“It was more about the way we played in that first quarter that resulted in them kicking eight goals which is nearly what we have had averaged against us for a whole game over the last three months.”

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/09/08/tigers-wont-suffer-finals-scar/

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers won’t suffer finals scar: Cotchin (AAP)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 06:57:47 PM »
We lost in the playoffs? Was it against the Spurs or a poo team?

dwaino

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 07:15:52 PM »
We lost in the playoffs? Was it against the Spurs or a poo team?

Last year it was the Sacramento Kings. This year was the Washington Wizards.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 09:23:29 PM »
"The Group" may not be scarred but I think I might be

And I not surprised by the comments they won't admit they got kicking into the wind wrong in anyway

Whatever
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:40:54 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 09:30:42 PM »

And I not surprised by the comments they won't admit they got kicking into the song wrong in anyway

Whatever
Didn't Hinkley say that he had a long discussion with Boak before the game and couldn't be sure which way the wind was blowing?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 09:44:57 PM »

And I not surprised by the comments they won't admit they got kicking into the song wrong in anyway

Whatever
Didn't Hinkley say that he had a long discussion with Boak before the game and couldn't be sure which way the wind was blowing?

Then I was obviously in a different Adelaide

Got off the plane at 10am it was just about blowing a gale

Walked up King William Street towards North terrace after brunch - walking in a howling wind head on... I was pretty sure at that point which way it was blowing

Get to the ground - out seats are just to the left of the Port Cheersquad - all flags blowing towards the city end, all day had the wind blowing straight in my face

Not a doubt in my mind which the bloody wind was blowing - it was coming from the open (hill) end.. trust me it wasn't hard to work out  ;D

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 09:50:57 PM »
The wind was blowing in the same direction driving back home from Adelaide just looking at the trees.
It seems everyone saw it but Cotch and the coaching staff. :help

You'd think going with the wind in the first quarter to nullify home team momentum and home crowd noise and influence. :huh3

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 09:59:57 PM »

Whatever

Yes Hinkley was quoted as saying that

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 10:11:13 PM »
Cotch talking to reporters in Mad Monday regalia not too professional IMHO. :help

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 10:14:36 PM »
absolutely correct WP and DOM.

Hinkley was being nice. His not exactly going to come out and say gee we were rapt they stuffed this one right up.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 10:15:25 PM »

Hinkley was being nice. His not exactly going to come out and say gee we were rapt they stuffed this one right up.

Why not

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 10:19:20 PM »

Why not

you ever listened to Hinkley, thats not his go to ridicule the opposition.

Anyone who was at the ground knew exactly which way the wind was blowing and it was a bloody disgrace we screwed that up.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 11:42:33 PM »

Whatever

Then I was obviously in a different Adelaide

Got off the plane at 10am it was just about blowing a gale

Walked up King William Street towards North terrace after brunch - walking in a howling wind head on... I was pretty sure at that point which way it was blowing

Get to the ground - out seats are just to the left of the Port Cheersquad - all flags blowing towards the city end, all day had the wind blowing straight in my face

Not a doubt in my mind which the bloody wind was blowing - it was coming from the open (hill) end.. trust me it wasn't hard to work out  ;Damed
I look at it differently.
If we had lost the toss and Boak chose to kick with the wind, would we have blamed losing on losing the toss? Of course not. So why is it so important to argue this so called mistake by Cotch?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 11:46:10 PM »
Wind not a factor?

Didn't they kick the damned ball in warmup time?

FFS. I got there at 2:45 and was surprised he chose to kick against the wind. I hadn't even seen anybody kick anything. It was so obvious.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 07:03:57 AM »
I look at it differently.
If we had lost the toss and Boak chose to kick with the wind, would we have blamed losing on losing the toss? Of course not. So why is it so important to argue this so called mistake by Cotch?

Because you don't give you opposition any sort of advantage.

We gave them an advantage

It was a poor call, very poor call

We needed everything to go our way and the first opportunity we had to have something go our way and we hand it back to Port  :facepalm