Author Topic: Sack Francis Hackson and Hartley  (Read 7396 times)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Sack Francis Hackson and Hartley
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2014, 02:28:33 PM »
You can't hang a bloke on one decision, are u going to say hawthorn are idiots coz they stuffed up on dayle garlett or collingwood are idiots for Quentin lynch and the big dud from Sydney . It's gotta be a balanced view and these guys have improved our list from a very low base

One decision? Seriously? One?

Err Nope, been more than one and I have even given examples. But the ONE that sums up Hartley's deficiencies is Hampson, it shines like the beacon that could safely bring down an A380 Airbus in heavy fog.

As I said you bring in a player to fill specific need which is fine but at some point you look to upgrade on that need when the one you bought in reaches their peak. Have we done that on some of Blair's Boys. Answer is no, we just give them contract extensions. Which BTW reeks of favouring your original choices

Yep there have been improvements to the list but at some point in time you have to take the next step, rewarding blokes like Grigg, Newman isn't an example of taking the next step IMHO.
If you think Blair and Blair only makes decisions on who comes to our club, what they get paid and whether they get extensions to their contracts then you a sad.
Give it a rest mate, you obviously have something against him, maybe he didn't talk to you one night at one of the functions but to blame him for our list is idiotic.

FJ should be removed from the club and any record of him destroyed because he has done nothing in his time at our club. Our list is what it is because of him. If he could draft a decent player outside of the first round we wouldn't even need Blair.
 It makes me sick in the guts to think that the powers to be at our club cannot see how badly this guy has been. It's in black and white when you look at our list.
Dimma playing players like Grigg tells me also that he has NFI either. But let's face it the alternatives in the twos aren't much better and guess who's fault that is.
The only standout player that has been drafted in over the last 5 years in is Dusty. And he was pick 3. Big bloody deal!!!
We have a few others that maybe will be good, B graders at best though. And all have glowing weakness IMO. To small, to soft or to slow.. But all still mostly first rounders.
The most important job at any footy club is the recruiting manager. If he cannot get decent players into the club then the other departments don't stand a chance. Spend whatever you like on a coach or development but like the old saying goes 'you cannot make strawberry jam out of pig sh:7'
And unfortunately for us long suffering tiger idiots we get the pig sh;7 to watch every week.

Can anyone name me one player that wasn't drafted in the first round of the National Draft that is a regular in the side that you would class as a B grader or better since FJ has been at the club?
I cannot and that's pretty damming IMO. 

One last thing WP, if you think Frawley  can't be talked into coming to Tigerland than you must not think much of our organization.. Offer him 100k more a year over five years (so 600k a year) with maybe some incentives and the job would be done.
This list isn't getting fixed through the draft with what we have in charge, may have to be bold like our song says and buy our way up the ladder.  :lol I can only dream.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2014, 04:01:31 PM »
If you think Blair and Blair only makes decisions on who comes to our club, what they get paid and whether they get extensions to their contracts then you a sad.

I never, ever said that. But when it comes to trades and FA then Blair is the man. He rates 'em, he recommends the. He also has a say on players coming out of contract

Give it a rest mate, you obviously have something against him, maybe he didn't talk to you one night at one of the functions but to blame him for our list is idiotic.

Have not hidden the fact i don't like him (for valid reasons BTW) and I don't rate him. Just because I won't publicly say why doesn't mean my reasons aren't valid

I don't blame him entirely for our list and the holes in it.

But I do blame him for Hampson and the contract extensions for certain players because he has had a massive say in those.

If youdont' blame Blair for Hampson who do you blame????

FJ should be removed from the club and any record of him destroyed because he has done nothing in his time at our club. Our list is what it is because of him. If he could draft a decent player outside of the first round we wouldn't even need Blair.
 It makes me sick in the guts to think that the powers to be at our club cannot see how badly this guy has been. It's in black and white when you look at our list.
Dimma playing players like Grigg tells me also that he has NFI either. But let's face it the alternatives in the twos aren't much better and guess who's fault that is.
The only standout player that has been drafted in over the last 5 years in is Dusty. And he was pick 3. Big bloody deal!!!
We have a few others that maybe will be good, B graders at best though. And all have glowing weakness IMO. To small, to soft or to slow.. But all still mostly first rounders.
The most important job at any footy club is the recruiting manager. If he cannot get decent players into the club then the other departments don't stand a chance. Spend whatever you like on a coach or development but like the old saying goes 'you cannot make strawberry jam out of pig sh:7'
And unfortunately for us long suffering tiger idiots we get the pig sh;7 to watch every week.

Can anyone name me one player that wasn't drafted in the first round of the National Draft that is a regular in the side that you would class as a B grader or better since FJ has been at the club?

Fair assessement there. Though I don't agree in full with your comment about kids in the VFL. How were ever supposed to find out if they were any good if they weren't given an opportunity. End of the day after delistings we are now never going to know.

One last thing WP, if you think Frawley  can't be talked into coming to Tigerland than you must not think much of our organization.. Offer him 100k more a year over five years (so 600k a year) with maybe some incentives and the job would be done.

Disagree $600k a year wont get him to the RFC, $800k will and IMHO he isn't worth that. He wants Geelong and the only reason Freo has a small chance is that they will offer him his $800k a season
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2014, 04:41:23 PM »

His parents

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2014, 04:45:30 PM »

His parents

Removed as it offended
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 08:39:13 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2014, 07:50:14 PM »

His parents

:lol

Classy  ? NOT, considering Hammers dad died during the year

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2014, 07:53:15 PM »

His parents

Delicate little soul aren't you

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2014, 07:54:57 PM »

His parents

Delicate little soul aren't you

hahahah first time Ive been called that

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2014, 12:54:23 AM »

I never, ever said that. But when it comes to trades and FA then Blair is the man. He rates 'em, he recommends the. He also has a say on players coming out of contract

Have not hidden the fact i don't like him (for valid reasons BTW) and I don't rate him. Just because I won't publicly say why doesn't mean my reasons aren't valid

I don't blame him entirely for our list and the holes in it.

But I do blame him for Hampson and the contract extensions for certain players because he has had a massive say in those.

Fair assessement there. Though I don't agree in full with your comment about kids in the VFL. How were ever supposed to find out if they were any good if they weren't given an opportunity. End of the day after delistings we are now never going to know.

Disagree $600k a year wont get him to the RFC, $800k will and IMHO he isn't worth that. He wants Geelong and the only reason Freo has a small chance is that they will offer him his $800k a season
I heard the other day from a decent source that he was going for 500k. (I saw him in Bali a couple of days ago, I should have asked   :shh)
Do you think Geelong would undo all the work they have done over the years in preaching club before money if they want to play in a successful side by paying Chip overs at your inflated figure of 800k? Geelong are not stupid and neither are you. It is no way near 800k.

One last thing one Hartly, no doubt he would have had a fair bit to do with the Hampson trade, but at an organization this size many others would have to sign off in it.
Maric, Grigg, Houli and Chaplin all have Hartly's fingerprints all over them but all have played the roll they were recruited for, and that's getting us competitive again after being totally hopeless. The players that should be replacing them should be coming from the draft and that's were this club has been let down. Hartly has done a very good job IMO.

In terms of contract extensions, doesn't that fall mostly onto Dan Richardson? Why are you blaming Hartly for that?
Do you think in Grigg's last contract talks Hardwick would have had a massive say?

We need to rid ourselves of FJ ASAP. I have been saying it for a few years now. It will take 3,4,5 years to clean up his mess. There may be 3 players in our reserves that I think are any good that may be able to replace a few of these others that need replacing. Not a huge list by any stretch.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2014, 06:51:23 AM »
In terms of contract extensions, doesn't that fall mostly onto Dan Richardson? Why are you blaming Hartly for that?
Do you think in Grigg's last contract talks Hardwick would have had a massive say?

Can tell you that Hartley is very much involved in contract extensions, IMHO too involved. It's should be Richardson's responsibility but Hartley is involved. That's all I will say

No doubt Hardwick would have had a say in Grigg in that he would have said he wants to keep him but Blair under his rating system would have had a massive say in the length and the terms

And again will go on record as saying I don't like him and don't rate him  ;D

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2014, 09:36:30 AM »
In recent years we have gone out and recruited role players, not stars but players we needed to fill a specific role in our team structure. Some have gone on to become more than that and some less. Hampson is the only outright bust for mine. He was a good tap ruckman, which is what he was brought into the side for, but the rest of his game is so below standard that he is a liability. Maric on the other hand exceeded expectations when he was brought in the side for the same reasons. His overall game and leadership makes him the most important player in our team atm.

I think Hartley has had more hits than misses and is a big reasons why we find ourselves playing finals over the past couple of years.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2014, 09:52:44 AM »
In recent years we have gone out and recruited role players, not stars but players we needed to fill a specific role in our team structure. Some have gone on to become more than that and some less. Hampson is the only outright bust for mine. He was a good tap ruckman, which is what he was brought into the side for, but the rest of his game is so below standard that he is a liability. Maric on the other hand exceeded expectations when he was brought in the side for the same reasons. His overall game and leadership makes him the most important player in our team atm.

I think Hartley has had more hits than misses and is a big reasons why we find ourselves playing finals over the past couple of years.

Chris Knights Higgins, Banfield, Edwards, Thomas, Grigg, say hello

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2014, 09:58:27 AM »

:huh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2014, 10:35:12 AM »

I'm not sure who Higgins is or why is is so keen to say hello but he obviously must be a very friendly fellow.  ;D

Knights was not a bust. He was the victim of injury. He may still have something to offer next year but regardless, I don't think its fair to suggest that his recruitment was a flop based on poor luck.

Banfield and Thomas are Rookies. They are reserve players. The fact that Thomas was elevated would suggest that he is a handy role player too.

A. Edwards is no world beater but again, he is a handy backup. I doubt whether he will still be around next year but he was never brought in as part of our future. He was there as insurance and to assist in educating/strengthening our new VFL team.

Grigg has dropped away this year but again - he is a role player. He was brought into the team to give us outside run. With the game changing this year and our team typically losing the contested ball count in the first half of the year, he went missing but he wasn't alone there. Ellis looked poor early too for the same reason, they weren't getting feed the ball. While I admire players who win their own ball more than those who don't ie Miles, Cotch, Maric, Rance etc, we can't have a team of inside players. We need players who can give us that outside run. Granted that Grigg has been down on form this year but I would not suggest that his recruitment was a bust by any stretch of the imagination. He has done his job and done it well to this point of his career with us.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2014, 11:27:44 AM »
Stripes please your kidding right??

Higgins was an injury prone bloke at Adelaide and we spent what 2/300k on him for what? You don't think that's a bust?? gee whiz

Edwards lock up or whatever you want to call him is an even bigger flop. I like how he has strengthened the VFL team. Again 150-200k wasted money and should never have been recruited in the first place. Back up for who?? His spot should be youngsters who can be part of winning a GF not finishing 6-10th. perhaps if we fast tracked Bean instead of this dud then maybe he would already have 25-50 games under his belt like Joey D and Brown.

Banfield and the other guy who you suggested were rookies well that should be reserved for rookie's we can develop not d graders no one wants.

Grigg. Out of the names i mentioned is the one il give some credit to, because he hasn't been all that bad, but the facts are he is a nothing player now that is costing us 300k a year

Maric is a win
Houli is also a win, just.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2014, 11:31:42 AM »
Stripes please your kidding right??

Higgins was an injury prone bloke at Adelaide and we spent what 2/300k on him for what? You don't think that's a bust?? gee whiz

Edwards lock up or whatever you want to call him is an even bigger flop. I like how he has strengthened the VFL team. Again 150-200k wasted money and should never have been recruited in the first place. Back up for who?? His spot should be youngsters who can be part of winning a GF not finishing 6-10th. perhaps if we fast tracked Bean instead of this dud then maybe he would already have 25-50 games under his belt like Joey D and Brown.

Banfield and the other guy who you suggested were rookies well that should be reserved for rookie's we can develop not d graders no one wants.

Grigg. Out of the names i mentioned is the one il give some credit to, because he hasn't been all that bad, but the facts are he is a nothing player now that is costing us 300k a year

Maric is a win
Houli is also a win, just.
Sorry Angus, but I have no idea who this Higgins from Adelaide is???????
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.