Author Topic: Sack Francis Hackson and Hartley  (Read 7369 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Sack Francis Hackson and Hartley
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2014, 11:33:22 AM »
Sorry

I use the Higgins from Buldogs as his nickname as they are similar players but in reality the buldogs version has not been nearly as bad as Knights as been for us

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2014, 11:43:07 AM »
Maric, Houli and Grigg are all wins because they were players who had shown potential but hadn't had the opportunity at AFL level to play a major role.

Knights is a proven quality player who was worth the risk. Hasn't worked but worth a shot.

Edwards, Thomas, Hampson, Banfield were proven ordinary players and surprise surprise, were still ordinary.

It's not rocket science to see where we go wrong.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2014, 11:51:49 AM »
Houli and Grigg debatable

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2014, 11:58:41 AM »
Houli definitely a win. Grigg borderline.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2014, 12:18:10 PM »
Maric, Houli and Grigg are all wins because they were players who had shown potential but hadn't had the opportunity at AFL level to play a major role.

Knights is a proven quality player who was worth the risk. Hasn't worked but worth a shot.

Edwards, Thomas, Hampson, Banfield were proven ordinary players and surprise surprise, were still ordinary.

It's not rocket science to see where we go wrong.

Pretty much my thoughts as well.  :thumbsup

Edwards, Thomas, Hampson and Banfield were brought in for insurance/depth. They were not project players. The only exception here is probably Hampson who I feel Blair stuffed up trading for. This is a time when stats lie. Hampson is a great tap ruckman who can compete against the taller, leaping rucks but he does nothing else. He doesn't win his own ball, he doesn't bullock/shepherd/create space around stoppages, he doesn't link up play, he doesn't create goals and he doesn't pressure. He just taps to advantage which even in itself is a useless stat as his tap work is too predictable and rarely results in a clearance. We spent too much for him as well so I agree that the Hampson trade was a clear fail.

The rest though have achieved their intended purpose or exceeded it imo

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2014, 01:46:03 PM »

HA !

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2014, 03:27:06 PM »

HA !

Grigg's no star but he's played 81 games for us so far. Andy Collins went onto play 11 for the Blues over 3 years..
Yeah it is laughable alright.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2014, 04:25:29 PM »

HA !

Grigg's no star but he's played 81 games for us so far. Andy Collins went onto play 11 for the Blues over 3 years..

But what about that one good game he played against the swans about five years ago

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2014, 06:53:15 PM »

HA !

But what about that one good game he played against the swans about five years ago

One more than Grigg.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Gigantor

« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2014, 08:25:29 PM »
I agree that a critique of the recruiting of RFC is something that needs to happen both here and within the RFC,for decisions like the Hampson recruitment has proven to be really bad.I myself didn't realise how bad he was.
However it also needs to be pointed out that when we were at our worst and needed to recruit the absolute guns of the under 18s we were faced with a compromised draft ,so we probably had no choice but to go down this path of recycled players to a degree.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »
U can't frame a bloke on one trade, is the PA recruiter still being pilloried for  a top 10 selection on john butcher  ::) c'mon
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2014, 09:20:10 PM »
I agree that a critique of the recruiting of RFC is something that needs to happen both here and within the RFC,for decisions like the Hampson recruitment has proven to be really bad.I myself didn't realise how bad he was.
However it also needs to be pointed out that when we were at our worst and needed to recruit the absolute guns of the under 18s we were faced with a compromised draft ,so we probably had no choice but to go down this path of recycled players to a degree.

Sorry gig you are wrong with that comment. We had a choice to select heppell which everyone thought we would after Polak went to the Lions, but ooh no FJ pulls Conca out which we probably could have got with our second pick he is that average.

Interesting to read back on Conca were scratching their heads when he was selected. We could have had Prestia  as well FFS.

Luke Parker, Puopolo, Jack Darling all say hello from that draft also.. I could pull out a heap more that were selected during these tough times you speak of but the facts are FJ is cheating our club by receiving a wage. The best clubs don't need top 10 picks, they find the gems all by themselves.

2011. Brad Hill 33, Gunston 29, and Breust FFS from the rookie draft and yet people like our great coach still think our recruiting maestro FJ and development areas are fine. Replace leppa? No no need we are all set for a top 4 berth.

Clearly the hawks and swans are the best at identifying and developing talent so offer their staff a 100% increase in salary to make the switch.

Id love someone to ask our coach the question of how he rates FJ's performance post first round. WP if you go please ask him a question about FJ, because clearly he rates him.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2014, 10:36:08 PM »
I think some people are a bit confused!
Mentioning any player just because he is from another club is not what the original conversation was about. It was about Blair Hartly and whether the people he brought to the club had been ok for us which in term means he had done his job.
Not just players from other clubs that were delisted and we picked them up. Massive, massive difference. Names like  Gordon, Petterd, Thompson and Banfield were drafted and were pick by the club but IMO picked by FJ and his crew. I'm sure others had a say too but they are not Hartly's picks.

Hartly's job is to monitor players from other sides through the year that maybe are not being used as he thinks they can and get them to the club. IMO you cannot lump them all into the same category..

Aaron Edwards was drafted at pick 1000 odd, not really anything to do with Hartly. It was a temp fix while others developed. Not sure how many games he played this year but I know it wasn't many. Griff got opportunities after a few years learning the game.. So IMO 'the club' got it right.. Who the f()k knows what we paid him and who really cares????

Hartly's men

Knights or as some call him Higgins, was a FA. Didn't cost us a pick and again who really cares what he gets paid. I think anyone with half a brain can tell he can play the game at a pretty reasonable level.. If he stays fit next year and it's a big if, he is in our best 22 IMO. It was a gamble but our chips are still on the table.. So not a loss yet.

Chaplin, had a really good year last year, started the year slowly this year but played some pretty good footy in the second half of the season. No one can deny that even if they think he is a he has flaws as long as he plays a roll. Again FA that cost us nothing in terms or players or draft picks. Free hit really. If he is getting paid to much, and no one knows really other than him and the club, big deal! As soon as others stand up and demand more with their actions than maybe he will have to take a pay cut but until then he deserves his spot on our list and in our best 22. Massive tick to Hartly for getting him across, when you take EVERYTHING into account.

Houli, didn't pay much for him and has played some pretty good footy for the club.. Like most of Hartly's guys does need upgrading but you would hope that come by way of a kid in the draft. Wouldn't be getting paid big dollars but has played a roll at his time at the club. Massive tick all things considered.

Grigg, say what you like about him and I admit I don't rate him either much but what we paid and what we gave, we have won. He needs replacing but someone has to take his place. The kids at our club coming through at the moment in his type of roll are just not ready or simply no good. Cold hard fact I'm afraid. I hope I don't see him ever again in a Tigers jumper but IMO he has been a tick over what we had.

Maric, surely nothing needs to be said?? Bloody star and cost us not much. Massive tick to Hartly here.

Hampson, I think most agreed we paid to much, but in this business you are going to get a few wrong when you have a crack. Not sure the club has to close the doors over this mistake. FJ make mistakes every single year but not much is said by some. Massive cross but IMO that's the only real cross from Hartly to date.

It would make it a lot easier if the kids at the club were any good to be able to fase these guys out. But they are not and we haven't had much come through of recent times. Miles is a jet and I hope Lennon can come through too but I really only think a couple of other will make it who are not getting games now. Dea and McBean and that's really it IMO.

Offline shawry

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2014, 07:38:50 AM »
I think some people are a bit confused!
Mentioning any player just because he is from another club is not what the original conversation was about. It was about Blair Hartly and whether the people he brought to the club had been ok for us which in term means he had done his job.
Not just players from other clubs that were delisted and we picked them up. Massive, massive difference. Names like  Gordon, Petterd, Thompson and Banfield were drafted and were pick by the club but IMO picked by FJ and his crew. I'm sure others had a say too but they are not Hartly's picks.

Hartly's job is to monitor players from other sides through the year that maybe are not being used as he thinks they can and get them to the club. IMO you cannot lump them all into the same category..

Aaron Edwards was drafted at pick 1000 odd, not really anything to do with Hartly. It was a temp fix while others developed. Not sure how many games he played this year but I know it wasn't many. Griff got opportunities after a few years learning the game.. So IMO 'the club' got it right.. Who the f()k knows what we paid him and who really cares????

Hartly's men

Knights or as some call him Higgins, was a FA. Didn't cost us a pick and again who really cares what he gets paid. I think anyone with half a brain can tell he can play the game at a pretty reasonable level.. If he stays fit next year and it's a big if, he is in our best 22 IMO. It was a gamble but our chips are still on the table.. So not a loss yet.

Chaplin, had a really good year last year, started the year slowly this year but played some pretty good footy in the second half of the season. No one can deny that even if they think he is a he has flaws as long as he plays a roll. Again FA that cost us nothing in terms or players or draft picks. Free hit really. If he is getting paid to much, and no one knows really other than him and the club, big deal! As soon as others stand up and demand more with their actions than maybe he will have to take a pay cut but until then he deserves his spot on our list and in our best 22. Massive tick to Hartly for getting him across, when you take EVERYTHING into account.

Houli, didn't pay much for him and has played some pretty good footy for the club.. Like most of Hartly's guys does need upgrading but you would hope that come by way of a kid in the draft. Wouldn't be getting paid big dollars but has played a roll at his time at the club. Massive tick all things considered.

Grigg, say what you like about him and I admit I don't rate him either much but what we paid and what we gave, we have won. He needs replacing but someone has to take his place. The kids at our club coming through at the moment in his type of roll are just not ready or simply no good. Cold hard fact I'm afraid. I hope I don't see him ever again in a Tigers jumper but IMO he has been a tick over what we had.

Maric, surely nothing needs to be said?? Bloody star and cost us not much. Massive tick to Hartly here.

Hampson, I think most agreed we paid to much, but in this business you are going to get a few wrong when you have a crack. Not sure the club has to close the doors over this mistake. FJ make mistakes every single year but not much is said by some. Massive cross but IMO that's the only real cross from Hartly to date.

It would make it a lot easier if the kids at the club were any good to be able to fase these guys out. But they are not and we haven't had much come through of recent times. Miles is a jet and I hope Lennon can come through too but I really only think a couple of other will make it who are not getting games now. Dea and McBean and that's really it IMO.

:clapping Best post and most well reasoned post on this thread to date. Well said.

I don't think any club get s100% of their decisions correct, ever and same with drafting it is always easier in hindsight. Much easier to be negative after ds and think you know it all.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2014, 09:19:57 AM »
Knights or as some call him Higgins, was a FA.

To cut the confusion lets refer to him as Kniggins