Author Topic: So was this a Positive or Negative Year?  (Read 2986 times)

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: So was this a Positive or Negative Year?
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2014, 11:56:46 AM »
The winning streak was fun but overall the season was a negative.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2014, 12:19:29 PM »
Negative, shouldn't really have to elaborate!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2014, 12:50:15 PM »
The fact that it took a rampaging Port at their home ground to stop our run is a positive for mine not a negative. Port could realistically play and even win a GF this year so I don't feel the same sense of failure as I did last year.

A pass mark is always finals I we have done that two years in a row and learned some valuable lessons a long the way. You don't win 9 games in a row and turn around your season to the point of playing finals without making some important changes as a team. I think people are either too skeptical or too worried about having their expectations raised too high only to have them cast down again. In many ways I don't blame you because history has shown us this is the pattern we follow.

I actually think this year was a huge positive though. The changes we made to our expectations, standards, leadership, accountability and unity as a playing group was massive. We have always looked to the coaches and individual players to change our fortunes in the past (and targeted them if we failed) but it is from the team collectively that success has to come. All the best clubs have a culture that is driven from their playing group and leaders. We have never had that until now.

We have always had poor leadership, poor expectations and poor mental strength as a result. Surely people can see the changes that have been made now. You can hear it in the interviews with Maric, Lids and Miles. You can see it in the way we finally started to fight back when we were behind and win. In 2013 we rarely if ever did that. Even in our loss to Port we actually fought out the game - this is a complete change of attitude. You can feel it in their sense of belief in each other.

I understand people want to look to the first half of the season and to our heart wrenching defeats against the Dees and Dogs in particular, but you must be able to see the positive changes we made. Bringing Miles into the team was a huge positive though people even try and turn this into a negative. Stating that he should have been in earlier is like a kid getting a present but angrily declaring that he should have been given it weeks a go. When you get a gift be bloody thankful because to get a player like Miles from another team would probably cost us a first round draft pick given the immediate impact he has had.

Our backline has never looked stronger and Astbury's form early was impressive. Lids more forward was a fantastic luxury driven by Miles unexpected form. Maric continues to be my pick for our most important player given his influence around stoppages and as a leader now. The negative impact his absence early made to our team can't be denied. Rance has grown in confidence and stature. Ellis was fantastic. Griffiths came of age. Dusty was consistent and ran out games. Positives everywhere.

This year has shown us what it takes as a playing group to be successful. Regardless of individuals now our team knows what is expected from each other on and off the field. That to me makes this year a far more positive year than even 2013. I see 2015 being a huge positive year for us  :thumbsup

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2014, 01:01:10 PM »
The fact that it took a rampaging Port at their home ground to stop our run is a positive for mine not a negative. Port  could realistically play and even win a GF this year so I don't feel the same sense of failure as I did last year.

A pass mark is always finals I we have done that two years in a row and learned some valuable lessons a long the way. You don't win 9 games in a row and turn around your season to the point of playing finals without making some important changes as a team. I think people are either too skeptical or too worried about having their expectations raised too high only to have them cast down again. In many ways I don't blame you because history has shown us this is the pattern we follow.

I actually think this year was a huge positive. The changes we made to our expectations, standards, leadership, accountability and unity as a playing group was massive. We have always looked to the coaches and individual players to change our fortunes in the past and targeted them if we failed but it is from the team that success has to come. All the best clubs have a culture that is driven from their playing group and leaders.

We have never had that. We have always had poor leadership, poor expectations and poor mental strength as a result. Surely people can see the changes that have been made now. You can hear it in the Interviews with Maric, Lids and Miles. You can see it in the way we finally started to fight back when we were behind and win. In 2013 we rarely if ever did that. Even in our loss to Port we actually fought out the game - this is a complete change of attitude.

I understand people want to look to the first half of the season and to our heart wrenching defeats against the Dees and Dogs in particular but you must be able to see the positive changes we made. Bringing Miles into the team was a huge positive. Stating that he should have been in earlier is like a kid getting a present but angrily declaring that he should have been given it weeks a go. When you get a gift be bloody thankful because to get a player like Miles from another team would probably cost us a first round draft pick given the immediate impact he has had.

Our backline has never looked stronger and Astbury's form early was impressive. Lids more forward was a fantastic luxury drive by Miles unexpected form. Maric continues to be my pick for our most important player given his influence around stoppages and as a leader now. The negative impact his absence early made to our team can't be denied.

This year has shown us what it takes as a playing group to be successful. Regardless of individuals now our team knows what is expected from each other on and off the field. That to me makes this year a far more positive year than 2013.
Fully agree, in addition think that what we do in the way of recruiting/player management for 2015 in order to inject some leg speed, a bit more class in the forward line and more midfield grunt could be a major stepping stone to pushing up towards the top 4 teams. Miss the mark and sadly we will be back with the cellar dwellers who if doing the right thing recruitment wise will then sail past us in the blink of an eye.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2014, 01:10:42 PM »
I agree with that too Lozza. I think we're starting to see signs of a good team in the way we are handling our recruits. It wasn't that long a go we gifted games to early draft picks because they were already better than many of our regular side. Now we don't. All the best sides have the luxury of forcing young players to fight for their place in the team and time to develop their game. I believe we are seeing that with McBean, McDonough, Lennon and co. They will be good players for us but playing our game plan and having the time to focus on their game in the VFL is a great sign imo.

I have much more faith in our recruitment over these last few years than I ever had in the past. We haven't missed one of late. Even first round players who have not reached the heights of some of the others, like Conca and Vickery, are still solid performers.

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2014, 01:18:33 PM »
I think we have unfortunately put too much pressure on the kids to perform immediately, too impatient, mainly I suppose due to being so poor in recent times were always looking for the next messiah player who could lead us to the promised land. As you say it takes time and players need to mature before being thrown to the wolves, think we do have a good crop of young players coming through but also need to keep adding to this nursery over time so we have a constant trickle of quality coming into the side. This is the only way moving forward to maintain some form of consistency in regards to playing finals (and hopefully winning one!).

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2014, 01:23:33 PM »
What rot 'losing to Port a positive' please spare me. disgusting effort!

The Tiger army went in force, no other side could match that and they dished that up. FMD

A loss wouldve always equaled a negative, but I could of lived with it if they showed something.

Always accepting mediocrity, Port were a rabble 2 years ago and we just continue with the same old.

Need to chase hard and spend the money we've stockpiled from the supporters and get rid of shittruck plodders, The rest of this thread covers just about most of those.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2014, 01:44:36 PM »

The Tiger army went in force, no other side could match that and they dished that up. FMD

A loss wouldve always equaled a negative, but I could of lived with it if they showed something.

Always accepting mediocrity, Port were a rabble 2 years ago and we just continue with the same old.

Need to chase hard and spend the money we've stockpiled from the supporters and get rid of pootruck plodders, The rest of this thread covers just about most of those.

Agree...absolutely laughable that anyone would regard that p.issweak capitulation as anything other than a negative.

Just goes to show the low standards of some of some supporters. Forever content to wallow in mid-table mediocrity and make excuses.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2014, 02:01:10 PM »

Need to chase hard and spend the money we've stockpiled from the supporters and get rid of pootruck plodders, The rest of this thread covers just about most of those.

Agree...absolutely laughable that anyone would regard that p.issweak capitulation as anything other than a negative.

Just goes to show the low standards of some of some supporters. Forever content to wallow in mid-table mediocrity and make excuses.

What is laughable is the fact that some of our small minded supporters can not see past the loss and see the changes and momentum that led to it. This is what we will take into next year. The attitude of some supporters just goes to show why we imploded for decades, eating our own rather than looking to find constructive ways to improve. Sad really  :fishing

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2014, 02:14:48 PM »
I reckon we were burnt out against port, we looked pretty flogged from the outset, I thought we were due to drop one, just didn't think we would fall so hard.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2014, 02:17:03 PM »
Um 35 year member (If you have any idea at all what that actually means) and I was in Adelaide. you?

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2014, 02:21:38 PM »
39 inches
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2014, 02:37:09 PM »

If only that was true CUB. Our best is not good enough yet against the top teams on their day. That's what we saw against Port.

We did show something but it was too late. We fought out the game where we could have easily just let the margin blow out to record heights. That is what we would have done in 2013.

No one is accepting mediocrity but if you always just focus on the problems and the negatives you end up with a start to the season like we just had. One of the reason we failed early this year is because the coaches focused on improving our deficiencies rather and neglected spending time honing our strengths. Its always a balancing act moving forward on the tightrope. Can't lean too far either way or fall.

You can't make whole sale changes without having replacements in hand. If we strip back the list and replacement them all with unproven recruits then we'll go backwards and stay anchored for a decade with GWS and GC rising. To get good replacements you either have to be patient or develop them or spend big and trade for them. To get a player of Miles ability for nothing is as rare as hens teeth. If it was as easy as you say then everyone would be doing it.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2014, 02:39:56 PM »
Um 35 year member (If you have any idea at all what that actually means) and I was in Adelaide. you?

Um, that you're old... ;)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2014, 02:58:07 PM »
Ish