Author Topic: Yeah or Neah - Matt Dea?  (Read 4558 times)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Yeah or Neah - Matt Dea?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 05:56:05 PM »
Dea > houli
By the length of the Flemington straight.
I just cannot understand DH thinking.
How much harder do we look as a side with Houli and Grigg out of the side. They are both just so insipid when they don't have the footy.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 06:00:29 PM »
Want I reckon will happen is he will be put the trade table, no takers and they'll give him another year

As to what I think should happen - not sold on him think he's one of the players I refer to "b-twix and between". Means he's too good for VFL level but I am not sure he is up to AFL level

but as is a constant with some of our younger it's hard to know seeing he is another one who hasn't been given a real crack of multiple games in a row
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2014, 06:38:56 PM »
Dea > houli
How much harder do we look as a side with Houli and Grigg out of the side. They are both just so insipid when they don't have the footy.
I agree with you BT. I guess Houli at least attacks a little but doesn't defend very well at all. He averages 2.5 tackles per game which is ok as a forward but very ordinary as a defender. Grigg is even worse. He has played as a tagger and has only averaged 2.4 tackles per game this year. Someone like Brent Macaffer has averaged 4.1 tackles per game this year.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2014, 06:58:57 PM »
We have an embarrassment of riches with quality HBF , most definitely a senior footballer, handles the ball like its on a string, great vision and crisp ball use. A definite keeper  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2014, 07:26:01 PM »
Want I reckon will happen is he will be put the trade table, no takers and they'll give him another year

As to what I think should happen - not sold on him think he's one of the players I refer to "b-twix and between". Means he's too good for VFL level but I am not sure he is up to AFL level

but as is a constant with some of our younger it's hard to know seeing he is another one who hasn't been given a real crack of multiple games in a row
What are you concerns with him WP?
I personally think he has improved what I had as a knock on him and that's his poise and ball use.   Just needs DH to believe in him and give him games like you say. 
I'm not one to talk up players willy nilly but I think Dea is a really good player in the making.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 07:29:41 PM »
Easily on par with batch. A great back up or depth 6/6 option
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 07:32:53 PM »
Dea > houli
I agree with you BT. I guess Houli at least attacks a little but doesn't defend very well at all. He averages 2.5 tackles per game which is ok as a forward but very ordinary as a defender. Grigg is even worse. He has played as a tagger and has only averaged 2.4 tackles per game this year. Someone like Brent Macaffer has averaged 4.1 tackles per game this year.
Hard to believe that we cannot draft or develop a decent tagger like Crowley or Macafffer. We seem to just overlook curtain positions/jobs when drafting or trading.  (A decent small forward would be nice too, how good would our forward line look if we had Balentine or Betts)
It would make a massive difference to our side against the good sides if we could shut down one of their stars 100%. We would beat Collingwood every time if we could stop Penndlebury.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 07:35:25 PM »
Grigg the tagger

Unbelievable Damien

the claw

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 07:57:28 PM »
have been happy to give him a chance up until now.
hes had 5 yrs and failed to establish himself. he not a tall who could take 5 or 6 yrs to click hes a medium sized defender who really should have delivered by now or at least established himself at afl level.

would delist and move on, one thing i have learnt over the yrs is we hang onto players like matty way too long and limit our ability to find good players.

you dont think we should have played dea all year instead of newman?

What chance has he had

FWIW i dont think he will make it but gee so many blokes have hardly had a go
not gunna argue that point your right. and yes newman should have been phased out and borderline players like dea given every opportunity.
ive been a fan of mattys almost right thru, but enough is enough. we cant always give players inordinate amounts of time to do nothing more than establish themselves. and in 5 yrs hes failed to even do that.

for the record i would have cut newman im not sure if that would have saved matty or not.
as it is i think hes safe. i dont think we will cut any more players thats just the vibe i get from the club. the only one who may go is mcdonough as he wants to go home i think.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 08:19:18 PM »
MDea should of got a chance

Ahead of. Thomas. Houli. Grigg. Newman. Aedwards. Etc.

Just as Lennon. Donuts. Mcbean. Arnot. Etc. Should have.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2014, 08:22:24 PM »
Think he should be delisted. Nah from me.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2014, 08:56:33 PM »
Quote from: big tone link=topic=20880.msg462869#msg462869 date=
I personally think he has improved what I had as a knock on him and that's his poise and ball use.   Just needs DH to believe in him and give him games like you say. 
I'm not one to talk up players willy nilly but I think Dea is a really good player in the making.

His decision making and like you his poise and ball use

Reckon games against lesser teams eg GWS he looks great, good decision making, reasonable poise, above average ball use

Put him a high pressure situation and his decision making is average at best

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2014, 09:56:35 PM »
Quote from: big tone link=topic=20880.msg462869#msg462869 date=

His decision making and like you his poise and ball use

Reckon games against lesser teams eg GWS he looks great, good decision making, reasonable poise, above average ball use

Put him a high pressure situation and his decision making is average at best
Yer fair enough....but you could say that about 98% of our list.  :lol

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2014, 09:58:48 PM »
Dea > houli
Hard to believe that we cannot draft or develop a decent tagger like Crowley or Macafffer. We seem to just overlook curtain positions/jobs when drafting or trading.  (A decent small forward would be nice too, how good would our forward line look if we had Balentine or Betts)
It would make a massive difference to our side against the good sides if we could shut down one of their stars 100%. We would beat Collingwood every time if we could stop Penndlebury.
We had a pretty good one in Jacko before Dimma came. I don't think he believes in playing a full on tagger.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2014, 10:11:27 PM »
Yer fair enough....but you could say that about 98% of our list.  :lol

So true  :facepalm, so very true  ;D