Author Topic: Yeah or Neah - Matt Dea?  (Read 4529 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Yeah or Neah - Matt Dea?
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2014, 07:14:19 AM »

Hope you're right BT but history says medium sized players have made it or not by the end of their 5th year - even Irish lads have established themselves by then.

History also says Brownlow Medal winners can get overlooked in 4 successive drafts before being rookied.  Some players just take longer and it would be a folly to make a decision based on such a simplistic generalisation.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2014, 07:48:52 AM »

Hope you're right BT but history says medium sized players have made it or not by the end of their 5th year - even Irish lads have established themselves by then.

History also says Brownlow Medal winners can get overlooked in 4 successive drafts before being rookied.  Some players just take longer and it would be a folly to make a decision based on such a simplistic generalisation.
Also using Miles is probably not the correct comparison IMO. Is he an exception not the norm.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2014, 08:10:06 AM »

Smokey, longest bow in history to compare Matt Priddis to Matt Dea :lol

So Smokey, what should it be based it on?
How complicated do you want to make it?

We either believe in him or we don't.

30 games over 5 years with a handful this year and none in the back 8 weeks of the year is fairly transparent of the clubas to their belief.

The club might be wrong but I doubt it and keeping it simple is to see the forest for the trees champ.

It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2014, 08:24:23 AM »

Perhaps Dea should have been overlooked in 4 successive drafts.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2014, 08:37:04 AM »
Priddis really isn'tmmuch better than dea

the claw

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2014, 09:55:19 AM »

just because priddis was not on a afl list it doesnt mean he wasnt playing great footy. at the lower leve lhe won a sandover medal if i have it right. i keep on saying it, there are many state league players not on lists who perform far better than many who are on lists.
at age 22 and his second yr in afl he went at something like 24 disposals and 5 or 6 tackles a game and since hes basically built on that, his 2011 was exceptional and a better yr than he had this yr.
the knock on his game has been kicking but that has improved a fair bit the last 2 or 3 yrs well not so much the kicking but the decision making.
priddis clearly suffers from being tucked away in the west out of sight out of mind to most in the east.

as for smls by 20 med by 22 talls by 24 ive said its a loose guide and has exceptions.like all things you have processes and criteria that you use to check against that rule.
you guys know processes criteria things that our club hasnt done too well over the yrs.

the claw

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2014, 10:13:52 AM »

Also using Miles is probably not the correct comparison IMO. Is he an exception not the norm.
was miles not performing was he terrible  until this yr.

he did play some good games with gws he was playing very good footy in the neafl. miles never played afl earlier because gws had a plethora of #1 draft picks they wanted to play in his stead.
when he did play 7 games first season at age 20 he went at nearly 19 possesions a game 4 tackles won clearances and had plenty of c/ps. that to me is more than enough for a bloke in his first yr.
miles case is simple.
gws had too many good mids of better pedigree and miles was starved of opportunity it had nothing to do with his performances or his ability.
miles is an example to all of us at just how wrong recruiters everywhere get it.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2014, 11:07:33 AM »

30 games over 5 years with a handful this year and none in the back 8 weeks of the year is fairly transparent of the clubas to their belief.

The club might be wrong but I doubt it and keeping it simple is to see the forest for the trees champ.

Thanks for the insight champ.

If you apply a simplistic or generalised rule then you do so to your own likely detriment.  Some players you will know after 2 seasons, some you will not know until 5 or 6, and a football department that assesses each case without pre-conceived prejudices will most likely make the most correct decisions.  Simple.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2014, 11:08:00 AM »
I'd argue guys like Miles and Priddis get overlooked for project players like Dea too often. Recruiters want to complicate the decision making process to justify their jobs and end up with egg on their face. B
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2014, 11:12:49 AM »
Miles can kick a bit.  Miles wasn't overlookes was he - ala priddis. Was he not removed from the draft via gws , like the other best kids?

Priddus is like Thomas.

Tbh he's rather crap.

Wouldn't really want him at Richmond. Not a massive upgrade on a Thomas or Foley

Imo

I'd argue guys like Miles and Priddis get overlooked for project players like Dea too often. Recruiters want to complicate the decision making process to justify their jobs and end up with egg on their face. B

Don't project players come good occasionally?

Fyfe was not the finished product when draft.
Morabito could be anything bwforw injurt.
Franklin was a project player of sorts. If this is wrong. Then why sis hawthorn choose roughead over him
Nic nat (project) v watts (safe bet)

Sometimes the safest bet isn't the beat

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2014, 06:08:57 PM »

Thanks for the insight champ.

If you apply a simplistic or generalised rule then you do so to your own likely detriment.  Some players you will know after 2 seasons, some you will not know until 5 or 6, and a football department that assesses each case without pre-conceived prejudices will most likely make the most correct decisions.  Simple.

My pleasure  ;D

And if you overly complicate the process you do so to your own likely detriment. The world over is filled with intellectuals who cant execute their theory Smokey, I'm sure you can see that.
It's that simple Spud

tony_montana

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2014, 06:31:28 PM »

that is a very valid point that I think a lot of people will agree with.

That aside, I still reckon Dea could do with another year on the list - I believe he made genuine progress this season

the claw

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2014, 07:32:14 PM »
cmon smokey no ones saying its written in stone.
ive repeatedly said smls by 20, mediums by 22 talls by 24 as a loose guide. that is these types should click by that age but there are variables and other processes to go thru.
ffs i look at dea and say how old,  right 23 yrs old,  had 5 yrs should have clicked by now and been an established player. played just 31 games in those 5 yrs and only 10 in the last 2, why has he not clicked and why has he not established himself.

thee are no if or butts about it when you look at what hes done at the top lebvel it has been poor in anyones language.
i could live with giving him another yr if i could say to myself yep he will become a decent player. i cant say that and after 5 yrs for a player of his type its enough we should move on. now that is process.
we have a time line we set criteria we look at strengths weakness and performance  and make a call. matts had his chances time to give someone else a go id say.

we fail as a club because believe it or not we hang onto far too many players just like matt dea and we have done it for yrs.  ffs we pay em to make calls on players its time they started to accept their responsibility make the calls or  f of out of the club.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2014, 07:36:01 PM »

My pleasure  ;D

And if you overly complicate the process you do so to your own likely detriment. The world over is filled with intellectuals who cant execute their theory Smokey, I'm sure you can see that.

;D

If I thought what I believed was over-complicating the process then I would be doing this   :bow  but I don't so I won't.   :thumbsup   ;D

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2014, 07:46:12 PM »
cmon smokey no ones saying its written in stone.
ive repeatedly said smls by 20, mediums by 22 talls by 24 as a loose guide. that is these types should click by that age but there are variables and other processes to go thru.

That's exactly what I'm saying Claw.

ffs i look at dea and say how old,  right 23 yrs old,  had 5 yrs should have clicked by now and been an established player. played just 31 games in those 5 yrs and only 10 in the last 2, why has he not clicked and why has he not established himself.

thee are no if or butts about it when you look at what hes done at the top lebvel it has been poor in anyones language.
i could live with giving him another yr if i could say to myself yep he will become a decent player. i cant say that and after 5 yrs for a player of his type its enough we should move on. now that is process.
we have a time line we set criteria we look at strengths weakness and performance  and make a call. matts had his chances time to give someone else a go id say.

That's just your opinion on the player and to be honest you are just as likely to be right than wrong.  Nothing to do with process because you (or me) don't have access to the 'real' data and info that is required to make the best valued judgement.

we fail as a club because believe it or not we hang onto far too many players just like matt dea and we have done it for yrs.  ffs we pay em to make calls on players its time they started to accept their responsibility make the calls or  f of out of the club.

Easy to judge the calls in hindsight.  I (often) don't always agree with them either but I don't think they are shirking their responsibility, just that they get it wrong every now and then .......... like most humans I know.