Author Topic: Richmond expected to lay low in AFL trade period (Herald-Sun)  (Read 8245 times)

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
Re: Richmond expected to lay low in AFL trade period (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2014, 01:13:07 PM »
So our laying low in the trade period indicates the coaches and recruiters think our list is in good shape and is ready to roll next year?

The stakes for 2015 get higher by the day.

By the way, Winderlich to Richmond is the word on the street.

Or not.. We realise we have many holes and we are going to the draft to fix them instead of loading up with players ( hampson, thomas, petterd )

So we are admitting the Hardwick years have failed and we are starting again?
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2014, 01:21:10 PM »
So our laying low in the trade period indicates the coaches and recruiters think our list is in good shape and is ready to roll next year?

The stakes for 2015 get higher by the day.

By the way, Winderlich to Richmond is the word on the street.

thats exactly what they are doing. I very much doubt they will monkeyball this draft and that includes rookies.

Common sense we hope has finally prevailed.

Or not.. We realise we have many holes and we are going to the draft to fix them instead of loading up with players ( hampson, thomas, petterd )

So we are admitting the Hardwick years have failed and we are starting again?
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2014, 07:06:13 PM »
Does anyone else think we need a decent CHF, a decent 3rd tall and a lighting quick small forward?
Forget depth for a minute, our forward line needs immediate attention. It has for years. The only decent forwards we have had in the last 10 years are Richo and Jack.

We need more quality onballers granted but not as much as we need the 3 forwards mentioned. With Cotch, Dusty, Lids, Miles, Foley as our number 1 options with Ellis, Grigg, Edwards, Conca and Vlastuin as our second stringers, we are not as bad as some think.

And our backs need a few changes too but I recon we could mostly fix what needs fixing with what we have on our list. Dea for Houli, Astbury maybe for Batchelor.

It amazes me we aren't chasing genuine forward options??
Thoughts??

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2014, 07:29:04 PM »
Does anyone else think we need a decent CHF, a decent 3rd tall and a lighting quick small forward?
Forget depth for a minute, our forward line needs immediate attention. It has for years. The only decent forwards we have had in the last 10 years are Richo and Jack.

We need more quality onballers granted but not as much as we need the 3 forwards mentioned. With Cotch, Dusty, Lids, Miles, Foley as our number 1 options with Ellis, Grigg, Edwards, Conca and Vlastuin as our second stringers, we are not as bad as some think.

And our backs need a few changes too but I recon we could mostly fix what needs fixing with what we have on our list. Dea for Houli, Astbury maybe for Batchelor.

Thoughts??
Which genuine forward options, who are available, do you think we should be chasing bt?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2014, 07:39:24 PM »
I'm happy with Vickery and Griffiths who I believe will develop into fine players.

Small forward is a definite need, although Martin/Cotchin filling that role while resting to an extent.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2014, 08:27:29 PM »
I'm happy with Vickery and Griffiths who I believe will develop into fine players.

Small forward is a definite need, although Martin/Cotchin filling that role while resting to an extent.

I agree with you here Big Richo. I would love to see us with at least another small forward who is elusive, quick and has the X-Factor. Edwards has all these attributes (well speed might not quiet be there) and may play more forward when we have more quality midfielders to take the contested 'load'. Small forwards need to play midfield as much as forward now days.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2014, 08:54:30 PM »
Small forward yes. CHF, use bloody Griff, if Hardwick actually let him settle in that position we would all benefit!!! We also have Jack, Vickery, Gordon, Edwards (God bless him), Deledio, Martin, Cotchin, Petterd and a couple in the twos coming through as forwards.

Backline needs much thought, I don't like Newman there, Batch, or Morris there, Batch and Morris are there to play the man and not the ball, they do that well while the ball goes sailing over their heads for a goal. They are not quick players nor do they have the skill to hit up targets out of defence. Newman is losing his accuracy and is too slow for mine.. Backline revamp!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Rampstar

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2014, 09:14:10 PM »

Thoughts??
Which genuine forward options, who are available, do you think we should be chasing bt?

membrey may be worth a go and would add to our options

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2014, 10:08:49 PM »
I think we have a lot of midfielders who are good at wrestling and winning the one on one battles when rested forward but we don't seem to have any natural opportunists. Its a very difficult position in today's game. even players like Rouli needs to be part of the midfield rotations. I think this is why Port is such a dangerous team. They have so many midfielders who play the CHF and small forward role so dangerously. They could all be specialized small forwards in their own right, in fact Robbie Gray was until this year but became a versatile midfielders/small forward which along with White, Winguard(sp?), Monfreys(sp?) and co. have created a very dangerous and open forward line.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2014, 09:59:19 AM »

Thoughts??

membrey may be worth a go and would add to our options

Personally I would of thought there would be several fringe hawthron/Sydney/Geelong players worth a look

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2014, 12:03:59 AM »
Would like to see us rookie Shane Nelson, as I did last year & the year before and now he's had arguably his best year yet in the WAFL.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

the claw

« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2014, 12:18:13 AM »

Thoughts??
yes 100% agree. the biggest priority is not just a chf but several tall fwds.  for gods sake this reliance on vickery and griffiths coming good is just plain ridiculous.the lack of quality med/sml fwds is also hilarious.

ive done it a few times now and just one more time. useing the nd and trade period  as an example we need a kpf of the quality of mcartin, a tall like lamb and backup like kietel. then we would barely have enough tall fwds. tall fwds  is a  gaping freakin hole which needs to be addressed before all other things. we also desperately need a junior kpd marchbank if we went that way would do me. frawley would alleviate pressure on kpd and garlett who will go home to wa regardless would have alleviated our sml fwd weaknesses. but hey tone we are in top 4 mode it is so funny im crying.
na i am sick of this it seems so many of the ones who really care are just so delusional its not worth it anymore.they see but they invariably kid themselves.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2014, 11:48:00 AM »
ive done it a few times now and just one more time. useing the nd and trade period  as an example we need a kpf of the quality of mcartin, a tall like lamb and backup like kietel. then we would barely have enough tall fwds.

:gobdrop How many tall forwards to we need

In your scenario we would have Mcartin, Lamb, Kietel, Riewoldt, Griffiths, Vickery, McBean, Elton. 8 Tall forwards is too many

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2014, 11:49:39 AM »
yeah but rance Griffiths, Vickery, McBean = poo

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2014, 01:49:27 PM »
Just wondering if we have room in the salary cap to target good players through free agency and trade ,or we're over paying our players like in the past or there holding us ransom without us even having any success.