Author Topic: Richmond expected to lay low in AFL trade period (Herald-Sun)  (Read 8242 times)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond expected to lay low in AFL trade period (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2014, 02:13:18 PM »
Just wondering if we have room in the salary cap to target good players through free agency and trade ,or we're over paying our players like in the past or there holding us ransom without us even having any success.

Dont know for sure but by media reports we have money up our sleeve and room in our cap

Rampstar

« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2014, 02:41:31 PM »
does laying low mean that RFC has gone in liquidation or something? Is anyone doing any work down their in terms of getting some decent players to the club or are they bludging as usual during this period?

tony_montana

« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2014, 02:47:42 PM »
does laying low mean that RFC has gone in liquidation or something? Is anyone doing any work down their in terms of getting some decent players to the club or are they bludging as usual during this period?

Locked and loaded ramps, they reckon the list is sound

Rampstar

« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2014, 03:20:25 PM »

and Im an Astronaut waiting for NASA to give me a call.  ;D

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2014, 03:44:36 PM »

Frankly there are a number of your posts that have led me to think you are a space cadet
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2014, 03:55:12 PM »
I'll be more annoyed if we back up this year's inactivity by getting nobody of note next year, when there should be some real treasure to be had and hopefully more of our duds & tradeable expendables will be off-contract  (memo to Dan Richardson:  no offering of extensions to plodders before the season is over on the back of half a dozen "good" games.)
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2014, 04:59:08 PM »
I don't think the custodians of our list believe it's premiership ready. If they do, then we're truly stuffed, but I don't think that is the case. I think the plan is to go bananas with our cash next year when the likes of Danger come out of contract. When you think about it, there really hasn't been that much talent to throw money at this year - Waite, Greenwood, Higgins... Meh.... If say a Jezza Cameron had moved to a Melbourne club this off-season without us making a serious play then I would be concerned, but I think people tend to overhype players who are up for grabs purely because they want to see the club do 'something'.

Rampstar

« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2014, 05:03:16 PM »

Frankly there are a number of your posts that have led me to think you are a space cadet

only because you cant read and because your OER's very own delinquent  ;D

tony_montana

« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2014, 05:33:21 PM »
I don't think the custodians of our list believe it's premiership ready. If they do, then we're truly stuffed, but I don't think that is the case. I think the plan is to go bananas with our cash next year when the likes of Danger come out of contract. When you think about it, there really hasn't been that much talent to throw money at this year - Waite, Greenwood, Higgins... Meh.... If say a Jezza Cameron had moved to a Melbourne club this off-season without us making a serious play then I would be concerned, but I think people tend to overhype players who are up for grabs purely because they want to see the club do 'something'.

I hope so, but methinks this time next year the same people will be saying the same thing - wait till next year, there is nothing avail this season etc.

Realistically, how many superstars can you hope to bring in? Dangerfield, Shiels? If you're lucky you nab 1 every 5-10 years. It just doesn't happen enough to warrant waiting , waiting, waiting for the perfect storm moment.
 There are plenty of players still on our list who could be upgraded and if we had the balls to offload list cloggers like newman, Thomas, Grigg, Petterd, Knights, we could comfortably upgrade them with greenwood types year on year without breaking the bank or ruining our draft order. I'd have Greenwood ahead of any of those I just mentioned. We'd be hard pressed to find a better with a second rounder especially given our history of drafting past the 1st round

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2014, 06:02:44 PM »
I hear ya and I agree that Greenwood is superior to that group of spuds, but he's no star. Every club would have a group that they would like to replace with 'Greenwoods'. We probably made an offer that wasn't as good as Collingwood's. Whether our offer was 'right' or 'reasonable'  we'll never know. Maybe if you were privy to the terms of that offer you would think it was reasonable and you'd be happy that we didn't offer more. It's a tricky one.
No doubt some poor decisions have been made with our list, specifically signing Newman, trading for Hampson and not upgrading Grigg.
I think our fortunes next year hinge on the development and performance of Griff, Vickery, Vlas, Lennon etc. not on who we did or did not snare this summer.

tony_montana

« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2014, 06:33:06 PM »
I hope so, but I think we need to be a bit more aggressive and proactive in bringing decent mid tier players to the club to then dump the list cloggers and bring in more young draftees to balance the salary cap books - I know its not easy and you cant win them all but prefer that method to trying to land the big fish

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2014, 06:40:29 PM »
I hope so, but I think we need to be a bit more aggressive and proactive in bringing decent mid tier players to the club to then dump the list cloggers and bring in my young draftees to balance the books - I know its not easy and you cant win them all but prefer that method to trying to land the big fish

It's even harder to do when you keep giving the list cloggers extensions.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2014, 09:27:16 PM »
Just wondering if we have room in the salary cap to target good players through free agency and trade ,or we're over paying our players like in the past or there holding us ransom without us even having any success.

I would love to know what

Chaplin
Houli
Pettard
Thomas
Hampson

Are on

You could feed a small african country

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2014, 09:30:05 PM »

They do

Hence drafting one kid in the last draft period, Lennon

Locked and loaded baby

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2014, 09:58:57 PM »
The HUN is reporting that Jaksch to Blues has stalled

Here's a chance Tigers to do something
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)