Author Topic: Richmond expected to lay low in AFL trade period (Herald-Sun)  (Read 8273 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond expected to lay low in AFL trade period (Herald-Sun)
« on: October 01, 2014, 10:32:23 PM »
Richmond expected to lay low in AFL trade period

Jon Ralph and Michael Warner
Herald-Sun
October 01, 2014 9:00PM

Richmond is expected to lay low during this year’s trade period despite having some money if an inside midfielder emerged.

Football boss Dan Richardson said the Tigers were “highly unlikely” to trade their first round draft pick (currently No. 11) during the upcoming player exchange period.

Richmond is in the market for an inside midfielder to bolster its running brigade of Cotchin, Martin, Brett Deledio, Reece Conca, Brandon Ellis, Nick Vlastuin and Anthony Miles.

St Kilda’s David Armitage, North Melbourne’s Levi Greenwood and even Sydney’s Daniel Hannebery have been linked to the Tigers.

But Richardson hosed down that speculation and said the Tigers would invest deeply in the draft.

“As the trade period unfolds, if there is an opportunity to achieve that (midfield depth) through players from other clubs, then that will be considered,” Richardson said.

“But at this point there is not anyone we have formally approached, are talking to or have said that they want to leave where they are at.

“Our strategy is we are keen to improve the depth of our midfield. We’ll be investing pretty heavily in this year’s draft, hence we delisted seven players. We aim to have four to five draft selections plus some rookie selections.”

Richmond’s best trade currency could be a stockpile of young talls, including Ben Griffiths, David Astbury, Tyrone Vickery, Liam McBean and Todd Elton.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/dustin-martin-seeks-to-sign-contract-extension-as-richmond-expected-to-lay-low-in-afl-trade-period/story-fndv8t7m-1227076886092

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Re: Richmond expected to lay low in AFL trade period (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 10:38:57 PM »
Haha oh lookedey look
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

dwaino

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 12:10:10 AM »
When has Hannebery been linked? Where do we sign?

the claw

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 09:51:59 AM »
lol at a stock pile of talls. we are at a minimum 4 talls short on the list and of the ones we do have many have either done nothing or are just plain ordinary.
only after mids sheesh. while i agree we need more mids and quality ones at that id say the greater need is talls people are kidding themselves if they think we ahe either enough talls or enough quality talls.

they should be all over frawley they should be targeting a young kpd in the nd  they need to target a kpf  and the list is screaming out for a young ruckman. when it comes to ruckmen the cupboard is bare despite the so called numbers.lose ivan again and watch the fortunes of the side go down hill.
im all for going to the nd with 4 or 5 picks after last yrs effort. but again id argue for balance hit f/a hard it doesnt cost a thing as far as picks go.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 10:08:51 AM »
lol at a stock pile of talls. we are at a minimum 4 talls short on the list and of the ones we do have many have either done nothing or are just plain ordinary.
only after mids sheesh. while i agree we need more mids and quality ones at that id say the greater need is talls people are kidding themselves if they think we ahe either enough talls or enough quality talls.

they should be all over frawley they should be targeting a young kpd in the nd  they need to target a kpf  and the list is screaming out for a young ruckman. when it comes to ruckmen the cupboard is bare despite the so called numbers.lose ivan again and watch the fortunes of the side go down hill.
im all for going to the nd with 4 or 5 picks after last yrs effort. but again id argue for balance hit f/a hard it doesnt cost a thing as far as picks go.
frawley is poo, theres others we should be targetting

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 11:29:12 AM »

Easy up we have the best jumper puncher going around and a guy who can kick 66 metres

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 03:35:06 PM »
When has Hannebery been linked? Where do we sign?
Was thinking the same thing dwaino.

Problem is he's contracted until 2016 so I can't see him coming to Richmond given what would offer up to the Swans. Pick 11 would be a given plus something else decent. We won't be letting go any of our 'name' players and Richardson has said Vickery & Grigg :P won't be traded. I know the Swans want another ruckman but they aren't stupid enough to take a spud like Hampson off our hands as much as we would love them to.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 05:22:13 PM »
Well this news should please everyone considering all the moaning around here after our last trade/drafting period claiming we didn't draft enough young kids. I would love to go back and find some of the posts because they are from many of the same people I have already seen saying that we should be more aggressive during the trade period.

Damned if you do damned if you don't around here as always  ::)

I for one would have loved to see us be more aggressive trading out Grigg and, if necessary, Conca if it meant getting a player of caliber. I think keeping Vickery as backup at the moment and as a future mobile ruckman in a few years is a smart move.

Offline Golfprotiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Risking Head and Shin
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 05:28:39 PM »
Why, why f k n why............ Come on RFC do something please.
Tommy Hafey - "There's nothing more tiger-ish than a bloody tiger, a wounded tiger''

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 05:49:26 PM »
We must've won the premiership to be happy with our list. Meanwhile hawks continue to bring in players. RFC is stuffed

the claw

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 07:27:49 PM »
Well this news should please everyone considering all the moaning around here after our last trade/drafting period claiming we didn't draft enough young kids. I would love to go back and find some of the posts because they are from many of the same people I have already seen saying that we should be more aggressive during the trade period.

Damned if you do damned if you don't around here as always  ::)

I for one would have loved to see us be more aggressive trading out Grigg and, if necessary, Conca if it meant getting a player of caliber. I think keeping Vickery as backup at the moment and as a future mobile ruckman in a few years is a smart move.
so we go from one extreme to the other. where we take no kids or just 1 and lots of mature types ,  to plenty of kids and no mature types. as i have asked in my above post where is the bloody balance. as i asked last yr where was the balance as usual people defend the club no matter how shoddy they perform.
as it is we cant do 5 nd picks not enough delistings  ive alluded to that plenty of times as well.

we refuse to trade players out allowing for picks or players and we will use few nd picks. we have holes everywhere and we cant target one decent player as a f/a or trade to address a real need and add some quality depth in an area.
it wasnt alright that they only took one kid last yr and its not alright to ignore mature players this yr. its BALANCE WE WANT it going thru the right processes every yr ..

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 07:31:14 PM »
I would like some well balanced posts every now and then

the claw

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 07:37:23 PM »

frawley is poo, theres others we should be targetting
like who. the only other kpd up for sale is daniel merrett id love to get him but most would howl about his age.
besides frawly can play and would be a great addition to our kpd stocks.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 08:40:48 PM »
If that's what you, and many others floating about here, really want claw then I'm 100% behind you. What I don't want though is to give up early picks on average players like Hampson. I'm happy to use rookie picked and the PSD to bring in experience and depth but if we are going to use our draft picks for a trade it would want to be a bona fide talent.

What does give me the sh.i.tes though is when we do bring in experienced or more mature players to give us depth using the rookie and PSD draft and people decide to criticize the club for not bringing in young players instead. The strike rate for developing a 18-year old player through the rookie draft is next to nil now days. In the past you could find gems but given the systems and time invested into drafting now days their are very few diamonds in the rough that slip through. I would much prefer us going with the odd at this point than taking a risk on long shots and wonder why they fail to develop for us year after year.

Chuck says this in jest Claw but if you could mix your posts with positives to couple with the negatives it would give more wait to what you say. I'm sure you'll ignore my advice here but you are obviously a knowledgeable analysis of our squad but many people just switch off from what you have to say because they know you will only post on here to slam the club or other peoples opinions.

Again though, if you really are preaching balance to our recruiting then I'm on your side  :cheers

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 08:55:21 PM »
If that's what you, and many others floating about here, really want claw then I'm 100% behind you. What I don't want though is to give up early picks on average players like Hampson. I'm happy to use rookie picked and the PSD to bring in experience and depth but if we are going to use our draft picks for a trade it would want to be a bona fide talent.

What does give me the sh.i.tes though is when we do bring in experienced or more mature players to give us depth using the rookie and PSD draft and people decide to criticize the club for not bringing in young players instead. The strike rate for developing a 18-year old player through the rookie draft is next to nil now days. In the past you could find gems but given the systems and time invested into drafting now days their are very few diamonds in the rough that slip through. I would much prefer us going with the odd at this point than taking a risk on long shots and wonder why they fail to develop for us year after year.

Chuck says this in jest Claw but if you could mix your posts with positives to couple with the negatives it would give more wait to what you say. I'm sure you'll ignore my advice here but you are obviously a knowledgeable analysis of our squad but many people just switch off from what you have to say because they know you will only post on here to slam the club or other peoples opinions.

Again though, if you really are preaching balance to our recruiting then I'm on your side  :cheers

you being serious.

Miles
Ambrose
Charlie Cameron
Breust

Mate there are plenty to have come through the rookie draft, issue is we cant seem find many compared to the the likes of hawks.

We take the easy option and select rubbish like thomas instead of investing in youth and getting rid of these imposters we have acting as development coaches and recruiters at the minute.

Stripes there is a reason why our strike rate is poor
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.