Author Topic: Dan Richardson discusses our draft strategy (RFC)  (Read 6900 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dan Richardson discusses our draft strategy (RFC)
« on: October 08, 2014, 03:22:28 PM »
Recruitment Zone: Panel show ep:1

Bingle presents: General Manager of football, Dan Richardson, explains to Nathan Brown about what he's looking for in the 2014 National Draft.

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2014-10-07/recruitment-zone-panel-show-ep1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* List needs are midfield depth and outside speed. Believe we can acquire these via the draft which has been our strategy in recent years but that doesn't mean we won't look for that improvement in the trade period if it arises. Confident of the draft pool this year especially depth in quality mids. Requires us to be patient with our list building strategy as kids take time to develop. By and large it's the direction we are going with.

* No to Greenwood and we haven't entertained getting Mitch Robinson at this stage. 

* Interviewed 20 odd players at the Draft Combine and from the testing there's quality midfield depth. Names such as Petracca and Brayshaw will be gone before our first pick but there will be other quality mids available. Some can have immediate impact while others will take a couple of years, but there's no doubt there's a depth of 35-40 players in this year's draft we feel can help us. We just need to make the right decisions when the draft comes. 

* Depth of this year's draft is strong. Not quite the top end quality of a 2001 superdraft (Judd/Ball/Hodge) but the depth is strong well into the 40s & 50s even.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dan Richardson discusses our draft strategy (RFC)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 03:29:30 PM »
Inb4 whiney old moles have a rant

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 03:39:05 PM »
Dud

Delist
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 03:42:11 PM »
In a trade period when we are unlikely to be heavy participants, the concept of this recruitment zone is a bizarre initiative.

Would be much more interesting at Carlton who can't help themselves but get involved in picking up wannabes and hasbeens.

Offline scjhammo

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 04:51:47 PM »
we haven't entertained getting Mitch robinson at this stage...... I reckon there is a big chance he will be coming across to the yellow and black :thumbsup

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 05:27:51 PM »
we haven't entertained getting Mitch robinson at this stage...... I reckon there is a big chance he will be coming across to the yellow and black :thumbsup
Hope so. The meltdowns would be worth 500k per year IMO.  :lol

dwaino

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 06:12:37 PM »
Hope so. The meltdowns would be worth 500k per year IMO.  :lol

Oh I hope so  :lol

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 07:28:18 PM »
Quote from: scjhammo link=topic=20973.msg ;D465689#msg465689 date=1412747507
OMG, he'd make Jake King look like a rocket scientist! ;D
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

the claw

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 07:41:18 PM »
he identifies just two of the list deficiencies,  the mid field is not in as much need as other areas yet no mention of other areas.  truly delusional or just bull pooting..

he lies outright when he says he believes he can aquire mids and speed  thru the nd  which is correct, but has the gall to add the nd has been the strategy in recent yrs. sorry dan but 1 junior player in the entire trade and ND PERIOD last yr is not a strategy of recent yrs.

lol hes confident of the midfield depth in this draft pooland  will target mids, yet forgets to say its also one of the most promising drafts for talls. theres always plenty of midfield depth in nearly all nds but the same cant be said about talls. imo would be a mistake to totally  ignore talls in this draft, as he says kids take time to develop and talls take the longest of them all.
atm we have just 12 talls on our list which includes too many underachievers ffs every week in the seniors alone we will look to play anywhere from 6 to 8 talls every week. our tall stocks are critically low and we ignore this area in a strong draft for talls.unbelievable .

lol no to greenwood it seems its no to everyone. but thats right we only need a few mids and a bit of speed. locked and loaded eh dan.

lastly we need to make the right decisions with our picks eh dan, it aint a good record so far for the doyens of recruiting but no mention at all about doing something to strengthen this area, more blind faith eh dan they are sure to get it right sooner or later lol.

finally if we are going to embrace the draft in a big way dan why are we not trying to trade for better picks rather than re-signing every tradeable commodity we have.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 07:50:40 PM »
he identifies just two of the list deficiencies,  the mid field is not in as much need as other areas yet no mention of other areas.  truly delusional or just bull pooting..

he lies outright when he says he believes he can aquire mids and speed  thru the nd  which is correct, but has the gall to add the nd has been the strategy in recent yrs. sorry dan but 1 junior player in the entire trade and ND PERIOD last yr is not a strategy of recent yrs.

lol hes confident of the midfield depth in this draft pooland  will target mids, yet forgets to say its also one of the most promising drafts for talls. theres always plenty of midfield depth in nearly all nds but the same cant be said about talls. imo would be a mistake to totally  ignore talls in this draft, as he says kids take time to develop and talls take the longest of them all.
atm we have just 12 talls on our list which includes too many underachievers ffs every week in the seniors alone we will look to play anywhere from 6 to 8 talls every week. our tall stocks are critically low and we ignore this area in a strong draft for talls.unbelievable .

lol no to greenwood it seems its no to everyone. but thats right we only need a few mids and a bit of speed. locked and loaded eh dan.

lastly we need to make the right decisions with our picks eh dan, it aint a good record so far for the doyens of recruiting but no mention at all about doing something to strengthen this area, more blind faith eh dan they are sure to get it right sooner or later lol.

finally if we are going to embrace the draft in a big way dan why are we not trying to trade for better picks rather than re-signing every tradeable commodity we have.
It's easy claw. They don't want to go backwards. They see trading guys like Vickery for unproven youngsters that need time to develop as a step that will drop us out of the finals. Yes we need a mini rebuild but the club doesn't have the kahunas to do it. Plain and simple.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 08:42:45 PM »

I reckon there is absolutely NO chance of Mitch Robinson ending up at the RFC (thank goodness)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 08:47:51 PM »
The Club clearly doesn't rate the free agents on offer nor the names we could possibly get via a trade. Not something I disagree with. A shame they didn't have this attitude last year with Hampson  :banghead. Beams and Christensen would be the only guns on offer (both also suit our needs) but they both want to head to Qld so we can't get them. It sounds more like we plan to wait a year, find out who will come on from our existing list and then go hard at free agency in 12 months time.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 09:04:52 PM »
I'd much prefer Robinson to Armitage, Winderlich, Greenwood or any of the other nuffies we tend to trade for.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 09:16:23 PM »
Robinson would add something, Garlett would too and it appears both would come cheaply if for anything at all.... Christensen would have been amazing to get to RFC but unfortunately he wants to go to QLD  :banghead

Rampstar

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 09:18:16 PM »
I like how every year recruiting duds or recruiting no one is regarded as a draft strategy