Author Topic: Dan Richardson discusses our draft strategy (RFC)  (Read 6896 times)

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Re: Dan Richardson discusses our draft strategy (RFC)
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »
I like how every year recruiting duds or recruiting no one is regarded as a draft strategy

I like that too.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Golfprotiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Risking Head and Shin
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 09:44:28 PM »
The Club clearly doesn't rate the free agents on offer nor the names we could possibly get via a trade. Not something I disagree with. A shame they didn't have this attitude last year with Hampson  :banghead. Beams and Christensen would be the only guns on offer (both also suit our needs) but they both want to head to Qld so we can't get them. It sounds more like we plan to wait a year, find out who will come on from our existing list and then go hard at free agency in 12 months time.
In the mean time sign up Cotch and Dusty please.............

Tommy Hafey - "There's nothing more tiger-ish than a bloody tiger, a wounded tiger''

the claw

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2014, 01:00:17 AM »
The Club clearly doesn't rate the free agents on offer nor the names we could possibly get via a trade. Not something I disagree with. A shame they didn't have this attitude last year with Hampson  :banghead. Beams and Christensen would be the only guns on offer (both also suit our needs) but they both want to head to Qld so we can't get them. It sounds more like we plan to wait a year, find out who will come on from our existing list and then go hard at free agency in 12 months time.
what your really saying is they have no idea when it comes to f/as and we have nothing of value to trade with seeing as anyone with any sort of trade value has been resigned.

such a shame a real chance to plug some real holes in the list. they talk strategy what strategy all they are doing is sitting on their hands and doing nothing.
fa should be a part of every clubs strategy every yr. just as taking part in the nd should be.

we effectively ruled ourselves out of any trades and participating strongly in f/a by resigning everyone before the trade period even began.

the only conclusion is they are locked and loaded.they think they have the cattle. they havent learnt a bloody thing from this yr or yrs gone by.

what is our strategy again. oh thats right we are going to the draft so we are doing nothing  and with  this brilliant  strategy  we hope we can get more than one pick right this time around.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2014, 01:16:20 AM »
what your really saying is they have no idea when it comes to f/as and we have nothing of value to trade with seeing as anyone with any sort of trade value has been resigned.

such a shame a real chance to plug some real holes in the list. they talk strategy what strategy all they are doing is sitting on their hands and doing nothing.
fa should be a part of every clubs strategy every yr. just as taking part in the nd should be.

we effectively ruled ourselves out of any trades and participating strongly in f/a by resigning everyone before the trade period even began.

the only conclusion is they are locked and loaded.they think they have the cattle. they havent learnt a bloody thing from this yr or yrs gone by.

what is our strategy again. oh thats right we are going to the draft so we are doing nothing  and with  this brilliant  strategy  we hope we can get more than one pick right this time around.
No claw.  FFS, are you wearing blinkers?
We have nobody outside our best players that would land us first round draft picks in this draft.  You keep on harping on how we should get pick 15 18 21 and god knows what else, but NOBODY will give these picks to us for our duds. And why would we give up good proven players to get possibly good players?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

the claw

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 01:35:13 AM »

We have nobody outside our best players that would land us first round draft picks in this draft.  You keep on harping on how we should get pick 15 18 21 and god knows what else, but NOBODY will give these picks to us for our duds. And why would we give up good proven players to get possibly good players?
no ybb you miss a big part of what im saying. that is we gave ourselves no chance of trading for picks by resigning those with some sort of value.

griffiths vickery conca with a trade of picks would have all  gotten us a  pick around 20.one of  the first two is expendable. make some calls on players ffs.

richie tambling got us pick 27 we gave up 28 for a spud like hampson  there are plenty of good picks given up for players with percieved upside. ffs melbourne gave up pick 23 for bernie vince a 28 yr old servicable player.

why havent we offered up say pick 12 and a player for jaksch and orourke. why the hell we didnt go hard at frawley is beyond me. not a nd debate there still.
its as if they think we are close and dont need to do much. doesnt this sort of thing concern you especially with our track record.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2014, 07:27:44 AM »

no ybb you miss a big part of what im saying. that is we gave ourselves no chance of trading for picks by resigning those with some sort of value.

griffiths vickery conca with a trade of picks would have all  gotten us a  pick around 20.one of  the first two is expendable. make some calls on players ffs.

richie tambling got us pick 27 we gave up 28 for a spud like hampson  there are plenty of good picks given up for players with percieved upside. ffs melbourne gave up pick 23 for bernie vince a 28 yr old servicable player.

why havent we offered up say pick 12 and a player for jaksch and orourke. why the hell we didnt go hard at frawley is beyond me. not a nd debate there still.
its as if they think we are close and dont need to do much. doesnt this sort of thing concern you especially with our track record.
It does concern me. Believe me, one thing on this site that we agree on is we all want success for our team.  The longer we go without success, the more concerning it gets...... :'(

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2014, 07:44:46 AM »

Agree. At least the club has identified some of the weaknesses in the list. Do not mind the club investing in youth particularly as free agents this year have not really suited our needs. Next year maybe different.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2014, 08:57:14 AM »
we have no excess of any thing with trade value. nothing. zero zilch.

if we were to trade any of our players with trade value we would just be creating another hole to plug, without any guarantee what we bring in would be any better anyway.

just like the boy with his fingers in the dike.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2014, 09:15:06 AM »
we have no excess of any thing with trade value. nothing. zero zilch.

if we were to trade any of our players with trade value we would just be creating another hole to plug, without any guarantee what we bring in would be any better anyway.

just like the boy with his fingers in the dike.

And yet we made the top 8 and finished above 10 other teams, most if not all who have been active pursuing trades during the past week or so.

Are we running lean on depth, did we over perform in the last 2 years, or do we have players who have currency and we are just being conservative?
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2014, 09:26:26 AM »
the key word is excess
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2014, 10:29:30 AM »

Conca would
Ditto Vickery, Ellis

Etc

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2014, 11:44:19 AM »

Conca would
Ditto Vickery, Ellis

Etc
Why would you get rid of Ellis for a kid that may be worse?

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2014, 11:51:10 AM »
I'm not saying you would.

But youd considered the offer, almost everyone has his price.

Would you take pick 5 for Ellis?

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2014, 12:11:57 PM »
I'm not saying you would.

But youd considered the offer, almost everyone has his price.

Would you take pick 5 for Ellis?
No.
Not because I don't think I couldn't get a better player but because the upgrade could only be small and because the team chemistry would be destroyed. What signals does it give to others? Come second in the b&f at 20 years of age and then get traded for an untried kid. Nobody would want to come (or stay) to a club that did that.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2014, 01:07:30 PM »
Would you take pick 1 for Ellis?