Author Topic: A Comment from Caro - Again..............  (Read 3884 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
A Comment from Caro - Again..............
« on: June 04, 2004, 09:10:32 AM »
Casey must go to revive Tigers

Comment

By Caroline Wilson
June 4, 2004

As the Richmond Football Club lurches from crisis to crisis and the frenzied debate regarding Danny Frawley's position rages, the truth is that the football public and the media are avoiding the most obvious conclusion. Which is that it is the president, Clinton Casey, who must go.

Frawley's card was marked long ago. Even when the Tigers flogged Collingwood in that deceptive round-one fixture at the MCG back in March, no one really expected the coach to survive beyond his fifth season.

That victory took the heat off Casey, whose board had been depleted when three directors walked out and who had promised substantial new blood but who has still failed to deliver.

Back then, The Age revealed the Tigers would lose $2 million, a prediction Casey rejected as a worst-case scenario but which now appears optimistic. This is the third consecutive - and the worst - financial loss by the club, which has hidden poor performances in recent years by adding fund-raising dollars on to its bottom line.

While true Tigers never doubted Casey's work ethic or physical commitment to the cause from the time he replaced Leon Daphne - and inherited Frawley and chief executive Mark Brayshaw - they questioned his emotional links to the club. He has admitted that the yellow and black does not occupy his heart the way it did that of his father, a diehard Tigers supporter, but that is not the worst of his misdemeanours - not by any means.

In recent days, Casey has hit the campaign trail. He has granted in-depth interviews with most newspapers and yet in doing so he has broken pledges, blamed pretty much everyone but himself for Richmond's current basket-case state and caused further damage along the way.

On Wednesday, Casey told The Australian that the Tigers would announce new three-year deals with the Transport Accident Commission and Motorola next month - agreements that would reap the club an extra annual $400,000.

Wrong! Motorola only ever agrees to one-year deals, although the company's managing director, Alan Nicklos, was invited to join the Tigers' board yesterday and is believed to have accepted. The TAC was so angry with Casey's inaccurate boast that it seems likely to be the final straw in its deliberations over renewing its relationship with AFL clubs. So, in a desperate bid to shore up members' support, Casey potentially has cost the club at least $600,000 a year.

The TAC is not the only unhappy stakeholder. Casey subtly blamed the AFL when he sacked Ian Campbell as chief executive last week, a move that has angered the AFL, which is questioning the difference between the president's public and private declarations.

Clearly, Richmond requires a financial lifeline. The club was so desperate for money at the start of the year that it ditched an agreement with Collingwood to share round-one gate takings - via email with only several days' notice. The Magpies have taken their business and massive crowds elsewhere.

One reason director Brendan Schwab resigned was Casey's move to push through last year's club accounts without the full approval of the board.

Casey also has spoken in recent days about Frawley's future and the need for an experienced coach. This despite his pledge at the start of the year not to discuss the coaching position until after round 22.

He has mentioned both Brayshaw's and Campbell's shortcomings without taking responsibility for the disaster that now engulfs the club. He has neglected to mention the fact that he himself was acting chief executive for more than six months until May last year.

Yet he is trying to force through another quick appointment in Leighton Wood. Casey has been president for almost five years and still in recent days he blames the past.

It is not good enough to say there is no heir apparent. Casey, clearly, can attract no one to the board at this stage and should announce as soon as possible a spill of all positions.

For the good of a club that Casey never truly understood - for all that he tried - the president must depart as quickly and cleanly as possible.

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/06/03/1086203569565.html
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: A Comment from Caro - Again..............
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 10:34:40 AM »
I’d say Caro’s pretty much decided on which side she’s on and is no doubt being fed by those who helped create the situation we are in now and in some ways are just as guilty as the people they are blaming for our woes.

I can’t believe how people are prepared to sit back and point the finger at people for doing the wrong thing, but aren’t prepared to go in and do better.

They should either get in there and do something about it or stop undermining the Club.

It’s the same old, same old Richmond.  We'll be talking about this sort of garbage until we wake up to ourselves.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 01:40:13 PM »
I’d say Caro’s pretty much decided on which side she’s on and is no doubt being fed by those who helped create the situation we are in now and in some ways are just as guilty as the people they are blaming for our woes.

TS - you really think so? ;D You are starting to be more cynicial than me!

;) ;)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 01:56:50 PM »
The TAC is not the only unhappy stakeholder. Casey subtly blamed the AFL when he sacked Ian Campbell as chief executive last week, a move that has angered the AFL, which is questioning the difference between the president's public and private declarations.

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/06/03/1086203569565.html

Now I know that Caroline probably doesn't watch TFS because she's copped some baggings over the years and she rarely reads the Herald-Sun.

But Caro if you were watching last night you'd know that Clinton did take responsibility for the appointment for the Ian Campbell. As he also did in the H/Sun.

Are you a bit upset that Clinton chose to speak to the Australian and the H/Sun rather than the Age? :-[ ::)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 02:28:43 PM »

TS - you really think so? ;D You are starting to be more cynicial than me!

;) ;)

It can happen WP, especially if you barrack for Richmond for long enough.  :'(

The OER Cynical Stakes could have a pretty competitive field I reckon?  ;)

We all just want to see our footy team do well and instead all we ever seem to get is off-field drama and turmoil, time after time.

I’m so sick and tired of all this and it’s getting to the point where I have to wonder whether it’s worth the time, money and effort any more and I wonder how many others feel the same way.  Because it doesn’t look to me like we know how to get ourselves out of this.  We try and solve our issues the same way we have in the past, even though they’ve never worked in the past.

Selfish people, with big egos and an axe to grind, that’s all this is.  And it’s helping to bring our Club to its knees.  >:( >:( >:(

I just wish people would pull their heads in and work with and for the Club, instead of against it.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004, 04:28:10 PM »

The OER Cynical Stakes could have a pretty competitive field I reckon?  ;)

And a new OER competition is born :D ;D ;)

;D ;D ;D