Author Topic: Carlton plans to ditch gate-sharing with Tigers ...... (Age)  (Read 3624 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Carlton plans to ditch gate-sharing with Tigers ...... (Age)
« on: November 07, 2014, 03:22:59 AM »
Carlton plans to ditch gate-sharing with Tigers
  Caroline Wilson
     The Age
    November 7, 2014

Carlton is planning to abandon its gate-sharing deal with traditional rival Richmond when the two teams open the AFL's 2015 home-and-away season.

In a decision that could come at a cost of up to $200,000 to the Tigers' bottom line next year, new Carlton boss Steven Triggconfirmed he was looking at shelving the long-term agreement when the Blues host the season-opener next year on April 2.

Richmond chief Brendon Gale said the potential shift by the Blues would mean the end to the season-opening, gate-sharing deal, adding he would be disappointed given the on-going success of the game.

"We've worked hard to jointly build this game," Gale said. "It's been a joint effort which has been overwhelmingly enjoyed by both our supporters. It's their decision and I respect that but were Carlton to arrive at the decision they are contemplating, it would be disappointing. On that basis we wouldn't go ahead with the gate-sharing deal in the future. The competition has moved forward in the spirit of cooperative arrangements."

Trigg told Fairfax Media that while he was still familiarising himself with the concept of gate-sharing, he was looking at scrapping the Carlton-Richmond deal, which sees the two clubs share the gate in every season in which the two teams play each other twice.

"I'm not sure that it's something we'll do next year," Trigg said. "I have a view that if we do it we do it regardless of how many times we play each other. It's an interesting commercial proposition.

"Regardless of what we do, ultimately I'm prepared to work with the Tigers to promote their home game against us later in the year."

Next year would have marked the ninth consecutive year that the rivals had played each other at the MCG in round one with 2014 proving the exception when the Tigers hosted the Blues on the Thursday night of round two because of the stadium's unavailability for the earlier start to the season.

Richmond did not share the gate - which finished a relatively disappointing result because both teams were beaten the previous week and fewer than 70,000 supporters attended the match - because according to the deal, the clubs only split the profits when they play each other twice. The game has proved a genuine blockbuster since 2008 in terms of attendances.

A crowd of more than 80,000 - which the two clubs have often achieved - would see the home team reap a profit of more than $500,000 on most occasions, and up to $700,000. Richmond has a similar agreement with Essendon, which has been in place as a result of the on-going success of the Saturday night Dreamtime clash that showcases the AFL's indigenous round.

Carlton's new stadium deal will see it play six home games at the MCG next year with the Blues hosting Richmond, Essendon and Collingwood in the first five weeks of the 2015 season. The Tigers host the return bout against Carlton in a Friday night clash on July 10.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/carlton-plans-to-ditch-gatesharing-with-tigers-20141106-11hz5g.html

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Re: Carlton plans to ditch gate-sharing with Tigers ...... (Age)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 05:58:43 AM »
Give it to the Pies then...
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 06:46:46 AM »
stuffwits showing their their true elitist colours and think they are too good for us.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 06:49:33 AM »
Reckon Steven Trigg needs to understand that he isn't in little 'ole Adelaide anymore and things are done a bit differently in Melbourne
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 06:58:39 AM »
shots fired

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 07:00:19 AM »
I guess we did it to Collingwood back about 10 years ago, so we can't say too much........ :whistle
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 07:25:03 AM »
I guess we did it to Collingwood back about 10 years ago, so we can't say too much........ :whistle

That was then...
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

dwaino

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 07:27:21 AM »
6 home games at the MCG. That's cute.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 10:12:15 AM »
Thank god. We don't need to support this minnow. Sure it will bite next year but in the log run it will work better for the bigger club. stuff them

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 10:15:13 AM »
Not a good move, mostly rfc supporters at this game anyway who now won't show up due not wanting to support that scum
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 10:35:51 AM »
Not a good move, mostly rfc supporters at this game anyway who now won't show up due not wanting to support that scum
And when they don't come to our game? Oh that's right they don't go anyway. We will be laughing in the long run. Our games will be bigger than theirs.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 10:47:54 AM »
crap off the carlton relationship

carlton / essendon / geelong on the slide

richmond-collingwood$$$

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 11:17:10 AM »
blackballed
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 11:19:06 AM »
The club should put up a big screen at Punt Road Oval for the game where all the Tiger fans can take in the atmosphere and watch the game for a gold coin donation and make the scum suffer
in the hip pocket.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 11:34:37 AM »
The club should put up a big screen at Punt Road Oval for the game where all the Tiger fans can take in the atmosphere and watch the game for a gold coin donation and make the scum suffer
in the hip pocket.

:bow