Author Topic: Corey Ellis [merged]  (Read 142262 times)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Pick 12. Corey Ellis [merged]
« Reply #150 on: November 30, 2014, 04:52:26 PM »
A mate of mine was part of the coaching staff this year that coached Corey and he thinks he is a star. That's good enough for me knowing my mate and him not saying that to many before.
I really hope for the club and for all us Tiger supporters that he is right.

Still would have gone Lavede but what would I know. Just think we need more outside run and leg speed. The part that hurts the most is he has gone to Essendon, which I f:;king hate more than..... Frances Jackson.  :shh

Makes me wonder though if we are a massive chance to pick up Shiel next year did we need another 'one paced' inside mid?

Anyway what's done is done.  :gotigers

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #151 on: November 30, 2014, 07:35:03 PM »
A friend of mine at work is mates with one of the recruiters at Hawthorn. He asked about Ellis and the Hawthorn guy thought it was a good pick. They also rated Ellis better than Duggan, Ahern and Weller. Some of the crap about Ellis in this thread is so stupid.
Pretty well in line with my mail too, he s an excellent pick up, just quietly he could navigate his way through a Shanghai traffic jam such is his composure in the clutches ....don't underestime this kid ,  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #152 on: November 30, 2014, 09:15:39 PM »
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #153 on: November 30, 2014, 10:37:37 PM »
A mate of mine was part of the coaching staff this year that coached Corey and he thinks he is a star. That's good enough for me knowing my mate and him not saying that to many before.

Still would have gone Lavede but what would I know. Just think we need more outside run and leg speed. The part that hurts the most is he has gone to Essendon, which I f:;king hate more than..... Frances Jackson.  :shh

Makes me wonder though if we are a massive chance to pick up Shiel next year did we need another 'one paced' inside mid?

Tone, not sure if you are inferring that shiel is one paced, in actual fact he is very quick and is versatile enough to play as either an inside or outside mid

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #154 on: November 30, 2014, 10:42:16 PM »

i think we could find a spot for him

the claw

« Reply #155 on: December 01, 2014, 12:06:00 AM »
ah well i may as well open myself up again and say what i think.
not sold on shiel and have a few issues with him. kid will probably show me up.

on ellis geez im in no mans land with him.
i had a few that werent taken in front of him laverde weller  but for me i would have taken a tall at 12. i really like sam durdin as a prospect.time will tell i suppose.for me it was a toss of the coin between a mid laverde and durdin a kpp in the end if durdin wasnt there i probably would have still gone tall with lever.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #156 on: December 01, 2014, 12:51:59 PM »
ah well i may as well open myself up again and say what i think.
not sold on shiel and have a few issues with him. kid will probably show me up.

on ellis geez im in no mans land with him.
i had a few that werent taken in front of him laverde weller  but for me i would have taken a tall at 12. i really like sam durdin as a prospect.time will tell i suppose.for me it was a toss of the coin between a mid laverde and durdin a kpp in the end if durdin wasnt there i probably would have still gone tall with lever.
As you say, time will tell, maybe Goddard was the perfect pick?

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #157 on: December 01, 2014, 05:26:30 PM »

Tone, not sure if you are inferring that shiel is one paced, in actual fact he is very quick and is versatile enough to play as either an inside or outside mid
From what I have seen of him he isn't overly quick, or doesn't use his pace if he is, and his kicking isn't elite like an A grade outside midfielders needs to be.

Don't get me wrong I'd have him in a heartbeat but think he is better suited as an inside mid doing some in and under work. That's why I would have preferred Leverde.

It's all mute at this stage but if we do get him as I said, I think an outside mid would have been a better pick this draft.
Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 06:09:11 PM by big tone »

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #158 on: December 01, 2014, 05:27:41 PM »

i think we could find a spot for him
Yer me too.
One less spot for Grigg and Houli.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #159 on: December 02, 2014, 01:41:42 AM »

From what I have seen of him he isn't overly quick, or doesn't use his pace if he is, and his kicking isn't elite like an A grade outside midfielders needs to be.

Don't get me wrong I'd have him in a heartbeat but think he is better suited as an inside mid doing some in and under work. That's why I would have preferred Leverde.

It's all mute at this stage but if we do get him as I said, I think an outside mid would have been a better pick this draft.
Just my opinion.

His kicking was shizen against us but he is generally a better kick than that, not sure if it is A grade standard though for an outside midfielder. But sorry I can't agree on his pace comment, he has pace to burn

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #160 on: December 02, 2014, 08:26:51 AM »

Just my opinion.

His kicking was shizen against us but he is generally a better kick than that, not sure if it is A grade standard though for an outside midfielder. But sorry I can't agree on his pace comment, he has pace to burn
As I said, if he does have genuine speed I don't think he uses it much to break the lines. Just like Lids IMO, doesn't take the game on enough with his speed. Lids plays really safe footy. Does everything really well but with all his attributes could be one of the best mids in the game but isn't unfortunately.
I guess a lot of how you 'take the game on' comes from your personality. I saw a game on Foxtel a while back and Lids was in his first or second season and he played a lot more attacking footy.
Just my opinion, what do others think?

tony_montana

« Reply #161 on: December 02, 2014, 09:01:37 AM »
I agree 100% wqith you BT regarding Lids - for his skillset could and should be a lot more damaging. I liked him playing high HF last season was averaging better than a goal a game for 10-12 weeks, plonk him there for most of the season and we may just unlock something

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #162 on: December 02, 2014, 09:02:24 AM »

Just my opinion.

As I said, if he does have genuine speed I don't think he uses it much to break the lines. Just like Lids IMO, doesn't take the game on enough with his speed. Lids plays really safe footy. Does everything really well but with all his attributes could be one of the best mids in the game but isn't unfortunately.
I guess a lot of how you 'take the game on' comes from your personality. I saw a game on Foxtel a while back and Lids was in his first or second season and he played a lot more attacking footy.
Tone I watched Dylan play all his home games live last season and he is quick especially over the first 20 metres. His endurance is elite, Kicking is actually pretty good and is very dangerous around goal. He is tough and has no problems playing the role of an inside mid when required. In a nutshell, he is missed by GWS when he isn't on the ground.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #163 on: December 02, 2014, 11:45:35 AM »

Just my opinion.

Tone I watched Dylan play all his home games live last season and he is quick especially over the first 20 metres. His endurance is elite, Kicking is actually pretty good and is very dangerous around goal. He is tough and has no problems playing the role of an inside mid when required. In a nutshell, he is missed by GWS when he isn't on the ground.
By the sounds of it you would be the one to know about Shiel. I hope he joins the Tigers at the end of the year, I do like the look of him. But my main point was why did we draft an inside mid with our first pick if we potentially are getting Dylan at seasons end? Especially with Miles excelling in that roll this year. It makes me think we would like him but we are still miles away.
I hope with all the talk from the club we get someone decent at the end of the year. We deserve it and we need it!! Otherwise it's just another lie from the club.
Good luck to Ellis though, if we get Dylan it will just be a bonus. And you can never have to many blokes that are hard at it.  :thumbsup

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #164 on: December 02, 2014, 11:59:10 AM »
I agree Tone, on first inspection do we have a real immediate need for Ellis? Was he selected on that fact that the club thought he was the best available at our pick? Would we have selected Duggan had he not gone? IMO I thought Weller or Lever would have been better choices but I guess the club may be going for added midfield depth.