Author Topic: Patrick Dangerfield on Richmond’s radar .............. (Herald-Sun)  (Read 18583 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Patrick Dangerfield on Richmond’s radar after Tigers sign Trent Cotchin for five years
Jon Ralph
Herald-Sun
December 05, 2014

RICHMOND has thrown its hat in the ring for Adelaide star Patrick Dangerfield after locking away Trent Cotchin for life.

The Herald Sun on Thursday revealed Cotchin had signed a five-year deal with the captain determined to reduce any distractions surrounding his contract in 2015.

The Tigers are keen to move ahead on talks with fellow free agent Alex Rance, who has been linked with interest from Fremantle.

He is a West Australian but his parents have moved to Melbourne and he seems extremely unlikely to head back home.

Those talks are yet to gain any traction, with Rance’s stopping ability combined with his run from defence earning him All-Australian selection last season. The Tigers will have to come to the party to satisfy him.

Cotchin said he hoped giving away his free agency rights — he came out of contact at the end of next year — would be an example to the club’s younger players.

Dustin Martin is also keen to re-sign and seems likely to get a deal done over the summer.

But given Cotchin did not extract maximum dollars and the club has been stockpiling salary cap space, there is room to move.

The Herald Sun has reported Geelong is the Victorian frontrunner if Dangerfield leaves Adelaide, but Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale made it clear the Tigers shouldn’t be ruled out.

“He is a very good player, Patrick Dangerfield, and Dan Richardson who heads our football department says if some of those high quality players are available and would like to join our club and they are open to meeting our needs we would be very happy to have a chat to them,’’ he said.

Richmond saved money by aborting a trade for Melbourne’s Jack Trengove, had Daniel Jackson prematurely retire and has been prepaying contracts for some time to clear salary cap space for a star midfielder.

Gale said he was confident of securing Rance and believed Cotchin was all but locked away for life.

“It takes Trent out to 30 and I would like to think he would be a one-club player,’’ he told SEN.

Dangerfield has pointedly put off contract talks until 2015 with some Adelaide figures increasingly concerned about his future.

He is adamant he won’t be signing a new deal just to placate members — instead, he wants to play at a club where he can win premierships.

Cotchin wanted to avoid that continued speculation so moved quickly to sign his deal.

“It was really important for me not to make the contract negotiations drag out throughout the year and be a distraction to our playing group,” Cotchin said.

“Even further to that, our supporters. People can get on the edge of their seats with not knowing exactly what’s going to happen in the future.

“I just wanted to get it out of the way, with as little fanfare as possible, and getting back to doing exactly what I know needs to be done.”

http://www.news.com.au/national/patrick-dangerfield-on-richmonds-radar-after-tigers-sign-trent-cotchin-for-five-years/story-e6frfkp9-1227145182886

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Patrick Dangerfield on Richmond’s radar .............. (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 06:02:14 AM »
Given the Cats want to play us at Kardinia Park we can host his folks once a year  ;D
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

dwaino

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 06:37:41 AM »
Wouldn't be on everyone's radar? Not getting my hopes up but good to see we're in the hunt  :thumbsup wouldn't be far off a premiership if that happened.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 06:48:12 AM »
Dustin Martin is also keen to re-sign and seems likely to get a deal done over the summer.

:clapping :clapping :clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 07:13:25 AM »

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 07:49:11 AM »
If we get dangerfield at the end o 2015 he'll be 26 when he first plays for us. Just hope we don't offer massive overs for a guy who might only play a few seasons.

Would prefer a younger star if paying up huge
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 08:32:37 AM »
26 is fine.

Fits in well with the llist demographic IMO

4th favourite for brownlow

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 10:35:48 AM by Judge Roughneck »

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 08:56:12 AM »
Getting another gun might be key. Look at the effect of Luke Ball on Colingwoods midfield in 2010. Can just be what pushes you over the line. But to get him wed have to top 4 this year you would think otherwise were not really in the hunt. Would love it if they got him.

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 09:42:01 AM »
“He is a very good player, Patrick Dangerfield, and Dan Richardson who heads our football department says if some of those high quality players are available and would like to join our club and they are open to meeting our needs we would be very happy to have a chat to them,’’ Gale said.

Ok , firstly I'd prefer we just said nothing about this type of thing to the media and secondly I'm hoping that's just a bit of spin from Benny coz if that's really how we're going to approach it we'll never land a big fish ever.

GO AND GET THEM BENNY !! And tell nobody that you're doing it.
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 10:03:30 AM »
If we get dangerfield at the end o 2015 he'll be 26 when he first plays for us. Just hope we don't offer massive overs for a guy who might only play a few seasons.

Would prefer a younger star if paying up huge

Turns 26 in April 2016. So you would sign him for when he is 26,27,28, 29 and 30. First 3 are prime output years. Pay him well for those and lower for last two.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 10:15:53 AM »
Dustin will be at Hawthorn next year
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 10:21:30 AM »
That's a shame

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 11:19:14 AM »
You forgot the  :shh Phil....
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 11:48:53 AM »

He's 39 years old ffs ! He won't be leaving Essendon.
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 12:00:36 PM »
Phil might be right! We are in trouble!! :o :o  ;D