Author Topic: “We don’t value talking too much, we value action,”  (Read 1073 times)

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
“We don’t value talking too much, we value action,”
« on: December 28, 2014, 10:56:35 PM »
So said Ross Lyon at the Freo B&F.

Much has been made of our media performances on this forum - in both pre and season proper.

Will we learn from last pre season where Dimma made a pointed comment about targeting a "fast start"
Will our fitness coach continue to talk up this pre season as the biggest ever only for us to blow games in the last quarter?

As  we head into the NAB Cup build up how would you direct the key messages this year?
Are there some classic Tiger faux pas you are looking for from our off field leaders this per season?

A good chance for a few on the forum to comment BEFORE the season starts rather than take aim post the club makes statements that make them sometimes look like sitting ducks.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

tony_montana

Re: “We don’t value talking too much, we value action,”
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 03:52:45 PM »
Don't talk it up too much, just keep banging on about the process, about personal development and let the results look after themselves. No need to get into a running commentary about specifics like you mentioned yandb which can turn around and bite you on the arse very quickly - ie fast start, fitness levels etc - bc these are the types of statements that get used as ammo by opposition teams who then laugh at us when they run over the top of us early on in the season.

Pretty much that's it - think on the whole Gale and the whole team are doing exceptionally well, just tone down the propaganda a notch or two and we're all dandy :dancing

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 12:40:55 AM »
A valid sentiment for us but Ross Lyon has a narrow window to back up his own quote. Freo's list isn't getting any younger especially down the spine and we've seen the state he left St Kilda's list in before jumping ship. They missed their chance when they got stage-fright in the 2013 Grand Final.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 03:17:46 AM »
Yep lets see if Lyon can deliver on talk of his own.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 09:30:10 AM »
A valid sentiment for us but Ross Lyon has a narrow window to back up his own quote. Freo's list isn't getting any younger especially down the spine and we've seen the state he left St Kilda's list in before jumping ship. They missed their chance when they got stage-fright in the 2013 Grand Final.

Agreed MT but the OP is less so about the Dockers per se but more an example of another approach we might consider this pre season.
In the end, it's always about the actions but with our history of buckling under the weight of expectation I'm starting to wonder if the club has a strategy for properly messaging through the media.
Or perhaps the message needs to be simplified - like the Dockers.
On the one hand, you have the challenge of revealing enough to allow the supporters inside the thinking and the vision of the club contrasted with making statements that set the club up for ridicule.
Finally, I think the forum has been quick to jump on the clubs mistakes in the past year - some valid and most of them worth considering.
I'm interested to see if those posters have a pro active view of how to message out....
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 05:00:45 PM »

Agreed MT but the OP is less so about the Dockers per se but more an example of another approach we might consider this pre season.
In the end, it's always about the actions but with our history of buckling under the weight of expectation I'm starting to wonder if the club has a strategy for properly messaging through the media.
On the one hand, you have the challenge of revealing enough to allow the supporters inside the thinking and the vision of the club contrasted with making statements that set the club up for ridicule.
Finally, I think the forum has been quick to jump on the clubs mistakes in the past year - some valid and most of them worth considering.
I'm interested to see if those posters have a pro active view of how to message out....
Look at this in an other way.

The club says nothing.

Our performances are then poor.

Our membership takes a shellacking!

How would that look?  Pretty poor imhv.

The club has to put itself out there and talk the talk. Don't look at diehards like us.  Look at the bandwagon supporters that will only put their hand in their pocket if they are swayed by media presence.  We still need their money to be competitive.  That is why we have to be out there advertising the club.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

tony_montana

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 05:04:38 PM »

The club says nothing.

The club has to put itself out there and talk the talk. Don't look at diehards like us.  Look at the bandwagon supporters that will only put their hand in their pocket if they are swayed by media presence.  We still need their money to be competitive.  That is why we have to be out there advertising the club.

Are people really that stupid? IMHO people generally have a pretty good grasp of where the club is at and don't need to hear spin to make their own minds up. Of course there are exceptions to the rule where some dodo's get swayed by that rubbish but that's an exception rather than the norm these days

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 07:01:52 PM »

The club says nothing.

Are people really that stupid? IMHO people generally have a pretty good grasp of where the club is at and don't need to hear spin to make their own minds up. Of course there are exceptions to the rule where some dodo's get swayed by that rubbish but that's an exception rather than the norm these days
Unfortunately, there are a lot of dodos! >:(
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.