Author Topic: Who is your AFL club’s barometer? ...... (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1447 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Who is your AFL club’s barometer? ...... (Herald-Sun)
« on: January 05, 2015, 06:05:50 PM »
Who is your AFL club’s barometer?
Gilbert Gardiner
Herald-Sun
January 5, 2014

WITH AFL players trickling back from their off season breaks, SuperFooty runs a rule over your club’s barometer.

Who holds the keys to victory at your AFL club?

NOTE: This is not always your best or most consistent player as their performances remain at a high level win, lose or draw.

RICHMOND

TRENT Cotchin might carry the load in the midfield, but to stop Richmond you’ve got to stop Jack Riewoldt. The dual Coleman medallist is strong overhead — especially when allowed to run and jump at the ball — and kicks his goals in bunches.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/hawthorn-captain-luke-hodge-and-sydney-superstar-lance-franklin-play-vital-roles-in-clubs-fortunes/story-fnelctok-1227173976890

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Who is your AFL club’s barometer? ...... (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 01:40:14 PM »
For mine, big Ivan is our barometer. At his best when his body is right, his ability to win his own clearances and link up around the ground means our whole midfield functions well; yet when he's absent, we struggle big time as we saw once again early last year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 10:06:25 PM »
barometers are the blokes who seem to only play well when we are playing well - the outside players.

blokes that play well when we are losing arnt really an indication of how we are travelling.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 10:21:57 PM »
Who is your AFL club’s barometer?
Gilbert Gardiner
Herald-Sun
January 5, 2014

WITH AFL players trickling back from their off season breaks, SuperFooty runs a rule over your club’s barometer.

Who holds the keys to victory at your AFL club?

NOTE: This is not always your best or most consistent player as their performances remain at a high level win, lose or draw.

RICHMOND

TRENT Cotchin might carry the load in the midfield, but to stop Richmond you’ve got to stop Jack Riewoldt. The dual Coleman medallist is strong overhead — especially when allowed to run and jump at the ball — and kicks his goals in bunches.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/hawthorn-captain-luke-hodge-and-sydney-superstar-lance-franklin-play-vital-roles-in-clubs-fortunes/story-fnelctok-1227173976890

Nah.

Jack stops himself.
Caracella and Balmey.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 11:26:19 PM »
Funny, I haven't rated Jack since 2010 to be honest. He kicks plenty of goals but he doesn't take the game by the scruff of the neck like he once did. Not that exciting anymore...

Dusty is more of a barometer.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 11:46:27 PM »
For mine, big Ivan is our barometer. At his best when his body is right, his ability to win his own clearances and link up around the ground means our whole midfield functions well; yet when he's absent, we struggle big time as we saw once again early last year.

Good call.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 05:52:43 AM »
barometers are the blokes who seem to only play well when we are playing well - the outside players.

blokes that play well when we are losing arnt really an indication of how we are travelling.
I get the logic but would argue that they tend to piggyback the momentum generated by the players who kickstart the team. I'm not sure you can pick any one player - for different reasons our best 6 players become the barometer for us to be a great side. Dusty, Cotchin, Jack, Ivvy, Rance and lids are the barometers. When they play well the downhill skiers in our side tend to cash in
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 04:14:18 PM »
a barometer is an indicator, it doesnt make the weather.

the players you mentioned can still play well when we are playing poorly.

outside players need first the inside players to be doing their job, then do their own.

When they are playing well the team will be playing well. when the team is playing poorly they will generally be playing poorly, thus they are a good indicator of how the team is travelling.

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 05:23:01 PM »
When Dustin plays well we win.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 06:39:30 PM »
Jack never gets tired of kicking goals & won't come off when he is ... so our best barometer would be Chaplin's interchanges!   ;D
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 07:15:57 PM »
When Dustin plays well we win.

Except that match against the Kangaroos  ;)

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 09:11:22 PM »
a barometer is an indicator, it doesnt make the weather.

the players you mentioned can still play well when we are playing poorly.

outside players need first the inside players to be doing their job, then do their own.

When they are playing well the team will be playing well. when the team is playing poorly they will generally be playing poorly, thus they are a good indicator of how the team is travelling.

The question was who are keys to our winning games of football, I'd like to see the numbers on how often we win games when all 6 fire.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 03:16:06 PM »
sort of. the headline says barometer and then they ask who holds the keys, so its a bit each way, while again talking about barometers.
The article does say "NOTE: This is not always your best or most consistent player as their performances remain at a high level win, lose or draw."

To me if you talk about barometers, you are talking who gives a good indication of how you are travelling rather than those who actually have a big influence.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 10:47:53 PM »
sort of. the headline says barometer and then they ask who holds the keys, so its a bit each way, while again talking about barometers.
The article does say "NOTE: This is not always your best or most consistent player as their performances remain at a high level win, lose or draw."

To me if you talk about barometers, you are talking who gives a good indication of how you are travelling rather than those who actually have a big influence.

Get that logic, I'm just not so sure that our top 6 play that well that often - particularly in big games - so their playing well together is my barometer of how we are tracking.