Author Topic: Have Carlton Lost their Spot in the Big 4 of Melbourne  (Read 5299 times)

No More

Have Carlton Lost their Spot in the Big 4 of Melbourne
« on: February 07, 2015, 10:26:51 AM »
IMHO Hawthorn are a much bigger club now than Carlton and that they have finally achieved their ambition of being a top 4 club. They have achieved this at the expense of Carlton who have failed to grow there club during lean times. Well done to the Tiger Army for keeping the RFC a big 4 club. Have Hawthorn replaced Carlton in the big 4?

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Have Carlton Lost their Spot in the Big 4 of Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 12:18:17 PM »
I think the big 4 is archaic.  What does it mean?
If you are saying it's the 4 biggest clubs in Victoria as measured by memberships and attendances, then yes Hawthorn have surpassed Carlton and Richmond (when you include pet memberships  ;D).

My take on this big 4 stuff is really hw clubs fair when they are not doing well.  Given that we have made finals less than anyone else on the last 30 years, we hold up quite well.   Of course it helps to have the MCG as your home, a tiger as your mascot (kids love them), good colours and the best team song.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 03:49:54 PM »
If you are saying it's the 4 biggest clubs in Victoria as measured by memberships and attendances, then yes Hawthorn have surpassed Carlton and Richmond (when you include pet memberships  ;D).

My take on this big 4 stuff is really hw clubs fair when they are not doing well.  Given that we have made finals less than anyone else on the last 30 years, we hold up quite well.   Of course it helps to have the MCG as your home, a tiger as your mascot (kids love them), good colours and the best team song.

The last time  Richmond were wooden spooners in 2007 we only won 3 matches yet had an average H&A attendance of over 41,000 which was the third highest in the entire league that year behind Collingwood who played finals and Essendon who finished 12th but still were in finals calculations until late in the year and had both Sheedy & Hird on farwell tours.

That's what a really big club looks like.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 04:54:37 PM »

The last time  Richmond were wooden spooners in 2007 we only won 3 matches yet had an average H&A attendance of over 41,000 which was the third highest in the entire league that year behind Collingwood who played finals and Essendon who finished 12th but still were in finals calculations until late in the year and had both Sheedy & Hird on farwell tours.

I thought my last line indicated what you more eloquently put?

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 04:56:31 PM »
I see the Modern football landscape in Vic as:-

1. Collingwood

Daylight

2. Richmond and Essendon

Daylight

3. Hawthorn.

Daylight.

4. Carlton and Geelong.

Daylight.

5. Melbourne.
6. St.kilda
7. Bulldogs
8. North

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

dwaino

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 05:57:07 PM »
I see the Modern football landscape in Vic as:-

1. Collingwood

Daylight

2. Richmond and Essendon

Daylight

3. Hawthorn.

Daylight.

4. Carlton and Geelong.

Daylight.

5. Melbourne.
6. St.kilda
7. Bulldogs
8. North

That's a lot of daylight. Different days of the week?

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 06:09:56 PM »

It did -  was just underlining your point, not disagreeing with it.

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 11:08:49 AM »

It did -  was just underlining your point, not disagreeing with it.
:thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 11:56:39 AM »
Carlton call in AFL as membership drive stalls.

Sam Lane
The Age
March 5, 2015

Despite being one of the competition's oldest and most successful clubs, the new Blues' hierarchy accepts it is suffering from something tantamount to an identity crisis. A theme in recent feedback from fans is that the Blues have been too eager to "buy" success and do not stand for anything readily definable.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/carlton-call-in-afl-as-membership-drive-stalls-20150304-13v99e.html

dwaino

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 12:37:52 PM »
A theme in recent feedback from fans is that the Blues have been too eager to "buy" success and do not stand for anything readily definable.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/carlton-call-in-afl-as-membership-drive-stalls-20150304-13v99e.html

Been telling the Carlton missus and a workmate this for a while and they don't like hearing it  ;D they don't know what long term suffering is and just expect to improve because they're so used to buying their flags.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 01:53:02 PM »
A theme in recent feedback from fans is that the Blues have been too eager to "buy" success and do not stand for anything readily definable.

Been telling the Carlton missus and a workmate this for a while and they don't like hearing it  ;D they don't know what long term suffering is and just expect to improve because they're so used to buying their flags.

thats a concern in itself
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 04:19:37 AM »
Carlton's tight finances compelled the club to receive AFL assistance in February, with the Blues having received a five-figure advance from their annual AFL distribution.

While many clubs receive advances on their multimillion-dollar annual dividend – often to make ends meet in the off-season – Carlton's need for a "small" five-figure cash injection was a direct consequence of the club's struggles in membership.

The advance payment from the AFL –  common among clubs with tight finances, but rare for the competition's power clubs – comes as the Blues deal with a diminished sponsorship from the Pratt family, whose company Visy has reduced its outlay from $1.5million four years ago to $500,000 this year.

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/sci-tech/astronomy/mars-once-had-a-sea-larger-than-the-arctic-ocean-20150305-13wqrj.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 05:13:50 AM »
The bluebagger fans aren't happy campers at the minute :nope  ;D. This post on their forum sums up the mood.

regrettably club just isn't a attractive proposition to fans anymore - agree doesn't stand for anything - management and club drifted away from members and fans years ago - bereft of ideas - see how many jump off if we lose first 3 or 4 games like the last 2 years and finals hopes dashed by May - no real superstars at the club apart from Judd who is waning - a coach that refuses really to participate in any meaningful dialogue with the public (see woeful press conference antics )
A board full of rich oligarchs who would not have an inkling of what the average carlton supporters and members concerns are and how to address them - no elections for board members - no chance of person other than a millionaire being on the board - members who seek election pilloried by those on the board for trying

By the way have bought 3 memberships like every year BUT recognise it is a donation to a shambolic organisation which seems to have little competence on and off the field - another grey dark winter ahead in 2015
http://www.talkingcarlton.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34560

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 08:40:31 AM »
I'm going to enjoy this downward spiral  :)
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

No More

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 11:21:54 AM »
should we shaft Carlton for the R1 game and ask Hawthorn if they wanna play us in R1 opener.