Author Topic: Hardwick knows Tigers must win a final to earn as pass mark in 2015 (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1080 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond coach Damien Hardwick knows Tigers must win a final to earn as pass mark in 2015

Jon Ralph
Herald-Sun
February 12, 2015

A BROAD smile splits Damien Hardwick’s face as he ponders the question the Tiger Army has asked most since the first weekend of September.

He sits in the grandstand of the Sale footy ground contemplating Richmond’s 2015 campaign and yet he keeps getting dragged into the past.

The query, of course, pertains to Trent Cotchin kicking against an Adelaide Oval gale that ignited a finals slaughter at the hands of Port Adelaide.

“It is just one of those things... in the middle it can be hard to tell...” starts a patient Hardwick.

And then he erupts in mock anger.

“LOOK, WE HAVE MOVED ON,’’ he roars.

Hardwick’s answer is 90 per cent humour and 10 per cent frustration, but in truth that gut-wrenching loss is if not forgot at Punt Rd it is at least compartmentalised.

Hardwick knows he and the Tigers must win a final as a pass mark this year and a summer of feel-good vibes have validated the club’s plans to turn into a regular top-four force.

He sees Cotchin in the kind of pre-season form that nearly won him the 2012 Brownlow Medal and has witnessed Jack Riewoldt finally peel off a flawless pre-season.

When it isn’t Cotchin sharking the ball from stoppages it is rookie elevation Anthony Miles or VFL recruit Kane Lambert.

And if the footy world is rightfully concerned about Alex Rance and Dustin Martin’s contract status, Hardwick at least knows he has the key position depth in a year in which so much is expected of Richmond.

Hardwick is content with the summer so far.

“Trent has had his best pre-season from a leadership point of view since 2012 when he finished second in the Brownlow Medal,’’ Hardwick tells the Herald Sun.

“He has just led from the front, everything he has done he has won, whether it’s handball games or anything, he has dominated and it’s really exciting.

“When he is setting that standard he drags others along and demands more from others and he’s been absolutely outstanding in getting his training level to a new standard and we are looking for that to pay dividends early in the season.

“Jack, I don’t think has missed a session thus far. He’s as fit as he’s ever been, he’s as strong as he’s ever been, he is training as well as he ever has. He has been incredibly impressive on the training track, he’s taking marks inside 50 and kicking goals and he’s ready to go.”

First-round draft pick Corey Ellis is in the rehab group after foot surgery, but already 67kg speedster Connor Menadue is the club’s smoky, taken with the kind of selection (pick 33) they might have given up.

The list of those with huge upside includes Ty Vickery, Anthony Miles, David Astbury, Reece Conca, Brandon Ellis, Ben Griffiths, Ben Lennon, Matt McDonough and Nick Vlastuin.

Then there is the kind of selection pressure that sees Vickery and Griffiths potentially playing for one spot, and Astbury and Dylan Grimes nipping at the heels of Troy Chaplin and All-Australian Rance.

“We are very blessed. Most sides would be crying out for the key forward and key back depth we have and we will continue to develop them,’’ Hardwick says.

“We have to make them all contributors for us. Whether it’s Ty Vickery, Liam McBean, Ben Griffiths, David Astbury coming back from injury or Todd Elton coming through, we have to make sure they get better and more importantly make sure they are not happy to be playing seconds footy.”

Key forward/ruckman Vickery has by all accounts dominated recent scratch matches but must turn that into regular-season form.

Key back Astbury was second in the Jack Dyer Trophy count when his knee buckled in Round 9 last year — he and Rance played just three games together — but hasn’t missed a beat over the summer.

“It has been fantastic. He is one of those guys who gets better year in and year out and he demands a lot of himself and is out to improve for us and he’s had a great pre-season so far.”

Riewoldt has had a contented summer after an aborted media ban and an ill-advised venture into game-style analysis last year, with Hardwick adamant many are too hard on him.

“He has kicked 50 goals in each of the last four seasons and there are not many players who have done that,’’ Hardwick says.

“He played his best footy in the forward half and whether it’s deep or up the ground depends on what match-up he’s got. He’s a very important goal-kicker and we look forward to having him deep inside 50 this year.”

Then there is the midfield.

Dustin Martin and Brett Deledio played their best football forward or centre last year and Hardwick believes that pair and Cotchin can all kick 30 goals each this season pushing forward from stoppages.

Ex-Cat Taylor Hunt can tag, Ellis took his game to the next level last year, Vlastuin has another gear and Conca needs to fire after a poor 2014 on the field and at the tribunal.

Yet Hardwick almost whispers in conspiratorial tones about finding the next Anthony Miles — if they can play him.

Williamstown VFL star Lambert hasn’t let anyone down given those comparisons with the ex-GWS battler turned clearances king.

“He has been incredible. We just started our scrimmage matches and he just keeps getting the ball. He is like another Miles,’’ Hardwick says of Lambert.

“Miles was a fantastic story last year and I don’t know how many people I have had ask me why I didn’t play him earlier, but he was on the rookie list.

“Kane Lambert is a similar story. He is a rookie so it’s going to be a challenging decision as a match committee as to who can be elevated. It was a really strong draft and we are pleased with the talent we brought in.”

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/richmond-tigers-investigate-future-nbl-franchise-in-melbournes-southeast-20150211-13c2m5.html

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
1 elim final win for me is not good enough. It has to be 2 or top 4 and win the qualifying final  as a minimum
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Clean sweep of home and away as well please

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
nothing short of premiers and champions is acceptable. simply will not tolerate losing another game
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Must win the next 10 flags in a row. Anything less will be unacceptable.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
I demand satisfaction
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

dwaino

Three flags this season or else.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Must win the next 10 flags in a row. Anything less will be unacceptable.

stuff that - the record for top level sport in Australia is 11 premiership in a row held by St.George in Rugby League - not breaking it would be unacceptacle let alone falling one short of equalising it.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Winning 1 final was last years goal according to Peggy O'Neill. Have we now gone backwards and are willing to accept last years goal as this years goal?

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Hardwick knows Tigers must win a final to earn as pass mark in 2015.

Are they stuffn serious??
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Reach for those stars Richmond. Win one final.

We're not about flags, like Port, hawthorn or all the other clubs.
"Sliding doors moment.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Reach for those stars Richmond. Win one final.

We're not about flags, like Port, hawthorn or all the other clubs.

8 is Great but 9 is fine mentality.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Lol how does it feel to the average fan that we aren't even aiming for a flag....and we know we are so mediocre we call it out in February. 

22 weeks of pointlessness.
"Sliding doors moment.

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
#bomber2016
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
FFS, the only thing I found interesting about the article is this bit:

Williamstown VFL star Lambert hasn’t let anyone down given those comparisons with the ex-GWS battler turned clearances king.

“He has been incredible. We just started our scrimmage matches and he just keeps getting the ball. He is like another Miles,’’ Hardwick says of Lambert.

:clapping :clapping :clapping
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.