Author Topic: RFC 2015 Mid Field  (Read 1875 times)

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
RFC 2015 Mid Field
« on: April 07, 2015, 01:13:39 PM »
At thursdays game Kamdyn McIntosh Taylor Hunt and Brandon Ellis looked pretty good.
With Martin, Cotchin, Delidio, Ellis, Miles, Hunt and McIntosh running around on the ball I am thinking it would be hard to shut them all down from an oppositions point of view, our delivery and intensity would be difficult to cover from all 7 of these players.
Now I know it is only round one but I am pretty excited by our team balance and structure. Also looking forward to when Lambert gets a run (hopefully this weekend)
How do you rate our midfield??
Is it a premiership quality midfield?

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: RFC 2015 Mid Field
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 01:18:11 PM »
Our midfield was crap apart from Edwards. They killed us in the centre..

They will want to live up to their hype I think before we start comparing them to "Premiership Quality" midfields.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 01:25:22 PM »
At thursdays game Kamdyn McIntosh Taylor Hunt and Brandon Ellis looked pretty good.
With Martin, Cotchin, Delidio, Ellis, Miles, Hunt and McIntosh running around on the ball I am thinking it would be hard to shut them all down from an oppositions point of view, our delivery and intensity would be difficult to cover from all 7 of these players.
Now I know it is only round one but I am pretty excited by our team balance and structure. Also looking forward to when Lambert gets a run (hopefully this weekend)
How do you rate our midfield??
Is it a premiership quality midfield?

Too early to tell. By the end of this year we should have an idea.
I agree that the signs of increased depth are encouraging.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 01:28:00 PM »

They will want to live up to their hype I think before we start comparing them to "Premiership Quality" midfields.

Agree that we were well beaten in the center. I would argue that our mids smashed theirs when the ball was in transition though. Hunt, McIntosh and Ellis were allowed way too much space.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 01:40:03 PM »

Agree that we were well beaten in the center. I would argue that our mids smashed theirs when the ball was in transition though. Hunt, McIntosh and Ellis were allowed way too much space.

Yes on the rebound ours were very good, without Cotch, Martin and Deledio really starring. I cant see this same scenario occurring against the Dogs or the better teams though.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 02:33:52 PM »
As someone else has already touched on, I hope Kamdyn isn't Dean Polo MK II.

I'm not too fussed we lost it in the centre because our rebound from defence and our ball movement smashed them on the scoreboard which is the most important stat.

Can't get smashed in the centre against the dogs again though but I think Maric and whomever is tasked to play on ball will be doing his homework to get on top of that.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 03:21:41 PM »
to all you gurus, who from our midfielders, IYHO, would get into the top 22 at hawthorn or sydney?

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 03:59:43 PM »
to all you gurus, who from our midfielders, IYHO, would get into the top 22 at hawthorn or sydney?

I'm comfortable in saying that Cotchin, Deledio and Martin would ALL play in the top 22 at either of those clubs, and would perform significantly better with stronger team mates around them.

We need bigger bodies in the midfield. Lids has no legit mongrel, Cotchin too small, Martin too outside, Miles too small, Edwards too small etc etc

We're paying for not replacing Tuck and Jackson. Both 190/90 mids.

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 04:49:15 PM »
You need a decent ruckman to have a premiership midfield.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 04:59:36 PM »

As Andy has mentioned, Cotchin, Deledio, Martin will get walk up starts in Hawthorn or Sydney.

Jordan Lewis only became a great player last year. Career wise he hasn't been particularly exceptional until 2014. Deledio has him covered
Martin could replace any of Hawthorn's outside midfielders
bar Mitchell, I don't rate any Hawk inside midfielder better than Cotch and Mitchell doesn't even play as their extractor full time anymore.

I can find similar scenarios for Sydney but seeing as Hawthorn were the premiers I'd use Hawk players as examples.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 05:20:20 PM »
Exactly.

Only different for Hawthorn mids is that blokes like Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis are proportionally bigger and certainly tougher/meaner.

Otherwise they had the luxury of Franklin + Roughead, Gunston playing cameo, and Hale being a very decent ruck/FWD combo.

Compared to our forward line it's kinda laughable.

If we wanna compete for a flag we need:
1 genuine KPF. Preferably a power forward. ?McKenzie - can he make it?
1 genuine forward/ruck combo. ?Griffiths - can he make it?
1-2 genuine small/mid forwards. Don't think Lloyd is the answer. Shame we didn't grab Garlett.
2 genuine inside/big midfielders.

I'm convinced we have enough 'class' in the midfield, and outside mids too. Backline IMO is solid if it stays injury-free and Rance re-signs.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 05:44:40 PM »
If Astbury comes on and becomes a better player than Chaplin our backline would be in reasonable shape but as of now I reckon its lacking

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 10:34:45 PM »
I think the backline needs improvement from Grimes. He has only played 46 games so fingers crossed he plays 22 games he should really start to show some impact on games. We need the talls to grow more mature and id still love a distributor out of full back or the back pocket. Is vlastuin it? Dunno.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 12:23:53 AM »
I remember a few years ago (2012?) he started sloppy dropping a lot of marks but as his confidence grew he started to really deliver and take some grabs only to do his hammy. I'm happy to give him some time

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 11:18:29 PM »
Darn good