Author Topic: Dustin Martin will get to stage where no team will be able to curb him (H-Sun)  (Read 827 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Damien Hardwick believes Dustin Martin will get to stage where no team will be able to curb him

Bruce Matthews
Herald-Sun
April 10, 2015

WAS Richmond coach Damien Hardwick’s prediction of greatness part of the spur for Dustin Martin to bounce back against the Western Bulldogs tomorrow?

In Brett Deledio’s absence, the Tigers need a better contribution from Martin who was held to a modest 13 possessions by Carlton in the opening round at the MCG.

“Dustin has handled a tag before, he’ll handle a tag again. The great thing about Dustin is you can throw him forward and he will kick goals,” Hardwick said.

“You look at guys like Jobe Watson and Josh Kennedy, those bigger body, inside mids, they’re basically untaggable. Dustin will get to that stage, I’ve got no doubt.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/damien-hardwick-believes-dustin-martin-will-get-to-stage-where-no-team-will-be-able-to-curb-him/story-fndv8t7m-1227296722539

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I'm perplexed as to why Dimma used Jobe Watson as an example because he is taggable. Crowley got him in 2013, and 2014 and Macaffer also got him in 2014.

Maybe as a spectator I'm missing something but from what I see the only players I've seen that are "untaggable" are Ablett (who has lost to Crowley before but not as frequently but then he got done by Jackson in our last Cairns game) and Pendlebury.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I'm perplexed as to why Dimma used Jobe Watson as an example because he is taggable. Crowley got him in 2013, and 2014 and Macaffer also got him in 2014.

Maybe as a spectator I'm missing something but from what I see the only players I've seen that are "untaggable" are Ablett (who has lost to Crowley before but not as frequently but then he got done by Jackson in our last Cairns game) and Pendlebury.
i think he means blokes like kennedy and watson will get a heavy tag say crowley. they may not get their usual 30 plus touches but they still have decent games with 20 25 possesion games with plenty of contested ball still.

not sure why hes comparing martin to those two. inside is the main part of their games they would ave close to 30 disposals a game and half of them would be c/ps with plenty of wins at stoppages thrown in.

martin imo has become very outside one reason why he only managed  13 disposals last week hes forgotten how to go get the ball for himself.
 his first yr he ave about 20 disposals a game  and about half of his possesions were contested. his disposal ave has gone up every yr, unfortunately his c/ps have gone slightly  backwards.

watson and kennedy cop a tag they can still go and get their own ball. the outside uncontested ball may dry up but they still have decent games because of the c/ps.
dusty atm is the opposite. gets lots  outside as soon as hes tagged there is no easy ball and he has to rely on c/ps which he just doesnt get  enough  of atm hence he has quite games.
personally im praying we havent ruined him.

his other problem while constantly improving is his aerobic capacity. he doesnt have the engine to run taggers ragged. this still hurts us a little bit as well because he doesnt go both ways enough imo.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
I thought his statement was in regard to Dustin's wild, other life.

An admission of failure, if you will
Caracella and Balmey.