Author Topic: Tigers need more from first round picks: Wallace (SEN)  (Read 949 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers need more from first round picks: Wallace (SEN)
« on: April 17, 2015, 11:48:22 AM »
Tigers need more from first round picks: Wallace

Joshua Papanikolaou
SEN
17 Apr 2015

Richmond has so far not delivered on an expectation to be a top-four side because a number of their high draft picks are yet to flourish, says Terry Wallace.

After an indifferent start to a season that was meant to portray the team’s true capabilities the critics are questioning if this is all they have up their sleeve.

“Twelve months ago I sat back and thought they should be able to take that next step, because they’ve got a group of guys that are at All-Australian level,” said Wallace on SEN radio.

“I expected Richmond to be better than they are because they’ve got about five first round draft picks that should have come through, but they haven’t quite got there.”

The big names in Damien Hardwick’s team have proved their worth, such as Jack Riewoldt, Trent Cotchin, Brett Deledio and Dustin Martin.

However, the second tier of talent is yet to start producing consistent football to make them genuine contenders.

“Vickery was a pick eight, Conca was six and I love the way Nick Valstuin plays but he could generate more as a pick nine and they just have to start playing Lennon who was a pick 12,” explained Wallace.

“At other clubs those types of recruits are producing more.”

Club captain Cotchin has been criticised by a section of Tiger fans for accumulating possessions behind the play instead of being more decisive further up the field.

Wallace admitted the midfielder did register a number of his 34 disposals on the weekend in the defensive half of the ground.

“I thought he fell for that against the Bulldogs where he would give the ball to someone and try to get it back,” he said.

http://www.sen.com.au/news/04-15/tigers-need-more-from-first-round-picks-wallace

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Tigers need more from first round picks: Wallace (SEN)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 01:50:23 PM »
Didn't Wallace pick Vickery? And why are we listening to this guy about 1st round picks when he was behind grabbing JON?

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 02:16:51 PM »
What the stuff is with that-Cotchin getting the ball, handballing it 12 inches to a player and then calling for it back?

What an idiot leader.

Such play will only zap the confidence of any player involved in the play and leave them looking for the same play next time.

Seriously, there are son many things stuffed at this club that all one can do is sit back and laugh in anger.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 03:57:03 PM »
Didn't Wallace pick Vickery? And why are we listening to this guy about 1st round picks when he was behind grabbing JON?
You just spoilt my weekend with the mention of that name JON. Oh yes Wallace knew how to pick them. Every Richmond supporter should ring up the radio stations he gets on & ask him why he picked JON & where is he now  ;D

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 08:00:18 PM »
lol so wallace is responsible for jon. with that sort of reasoning hes also responsible for cotchin, rance, riewoldt and deledio. i suppose he drafted vickery as well lol.

he is responsible for none of them. the blame and kudos both go to the recruiting dept. wallace may have asked for a certain type and our gurus came up with jon.

imo and i know people are dismissive of it but wallace is barking up the wrong tree.

hands up anyone who expects heaps out of kids from the last 2 or even 3 drafts. do i see one hand nope.  so cory ellis and ben lennon are doing fine imo.  ffs lennon was skinny and not physically ready to play yet we still got 7 games into him. ellis is in yr one and had his own injury problems. what the hell is wallace on. we just want to get games into these kids and develop them we dont expect them to massively impact games atm even if they are first rnd picks. what utter nonsense he sprouts at times.

vlastuin had a very good first yr  and he had a touch of 2nd yr blues. even with the poor 2nd yr id say hes tracking well.  lots f very good players have had down second yrs. exactly what is wallace expecting from these kids.
b ellis is going along nicely hes not my cup of tea with the soft efforts but ffs hes done fine. conca well hes a balls up it happens.i suppose wallace is i justified here. as he is with vickery. hopefully we will at least get an okay player from the  conca pick. before conca martin again hes going along okay.

wallace should leave the first round picks alone and concentrate on the rest of the draft and the rookie draft. its this that is holding us back.  atm there is only  shane edwards whos come thru from the 2nd 3rd rounds. lord knows i have issues with him as well.
we remain hopeful astbury, griffiths and mcintosh will become good consistent afl players but imo thats about it and there is no certainty with these three.

a ten yr period and the only players left from each draft/trade period
05 foley a rookie elevation
06 riewoldt
07 cotchin,rance.
08 vickery
09 martin the only truely established player from this draft, griffiths, astbury, dea.  we traded drafted 10 players this yr not including rookies.
10 conca, batchelor, grimes, grigg. these players are in yr 5 and we still have issues with all of em.
this period has crucified us as a club.
imo we if we had found just 3 good players with the odd elite player every yr we would have 18  players on our list up to afl standard. instead we have just 13 players in total and some have question marks about them. too many nd picks rookie picks trades  have failed.

then its into more recent drafts where we can still cut em a bit of slack
11 houli, ellis, elton, arnot , maric, morris. its possible we will only get one long term player. while houli morris and maric have served a purpose as mature recruits we are imo looking to upgrade.
12, 13, 14,

id rather not comment on any of em too early  with the younger blokes.  some show good signs some dont.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »
JON & where is he now  ;D

Actually Doing very well for himself

Terrific bloke
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

No More

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 10:34:44 AM »

Terrific bloke

this is a serious question but what is he up to these days? its not the kids fault it didn't work out for him and I hope he has a good future in his life.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 05:28:18 PM »

Terrific bloke

this is a serious question but what is he up to these days? its not the kids fault it didn't work out for him and I hope he has a good future in his life.

He holds a senior position with the Wirrapunda (sp) foundation working with indigenous youth

And he still plays footy for East Perth and is one of their best players. East Perth are now the only club that the WCE left overs play for and he he has been one of Easts retained players. Plays seniors every week

Terrific young man
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)