Author Topic: Tigers investigating prominent media figure calling Houli a 'terrorist' (H-Sun)  (Read 4247 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond are investigating claims defender Bachar Houli was racially vilified by being labelled a ‘terrorist’ in Friday night’s loss to Melbourne

Michael Warner
Herald-Sun
April 27, 2015

RICHMOND is investigating an allegation defender Bachar Houli was racially vilified by a prominent media figure at the MCG on Friday night.

A comment during the match, won by Melbourne, was heard by a senior Richmond staff member. The allegation is that Houli, a Muslim, was called a “terrorist”.

The abuse allegation centres on Richmond’s official match function during the first quarter of the game. The person under investigation was sitting in seats outside the Olympic Room, where the function was based.

Richmond last night confirmed its probe.

“We are ­investigating an allegation of racial abuse directed at Bachar Houli during Friday night’s game,” Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale said.

“The incident was brought to my attention by a member of our executive team.”

The AFL on Sunday night said it was aware of the allegation under investigation.

Houli became the first Muslim to play the game at the highest level after he was taken by Essendon in the 2006 draft.

Houli, who turns 27 next month, has been a regular for the Tigers since joining Richmond from the Bombers before the 2011 season.

He has played 118 games and has been a strong voice for racial and religious understanding, working for the AFL as a multicultural ambassador.

The alleged abuse is the second such incident in as many weeks at the MCG.

Western Bulldogs midfielder Lin Jong accepted the apology of a Richmond fan after an incident during the Round 2 match between the Dogs and Richmond.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-are-investigating-claims-defender-bachar-houli-was-racially-vilified-by-being-labelled-a-terrorist-in-friday-nights-loss-to-melbourne/story-fndv8t7m-1227322265800

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Any idea who this is?

I wonder if it is the king of the jungle who hosts the show on Thursday night?

Wouldnt be surprised.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Yeah its definetly not nice to be using slurs as such. And I don't believe it's acceptable.
There should be an apology to said player by offender.
I do become annoyed though when they mention Bachar is a muslim and was racially vilified, so when did Ideaology become a race? ::)
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Really things like this are happening at games week by week in the afl to common utter disgrace.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Really things like this are happening at games week by week in the afl to common utter disgrace.

Been happening for 100 yrs week by week.

Just that now everything gets reported and it seems more common.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame

Been happening for 100 yrs week by week.

Just that now everything gets reported and it seems more common.

Well it would be nice to see the person apologise. And... it's up to Bachar whether he accepts it or not which is fair enough
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Just a reminder no guessing as to who it is thereby naming names until it is published in the main stream media or if in fact it took actually place

Let the investigation runs its course
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ch 7 news just now says the media figure was John Burns from 3aw. Burns on 3aw said he can't recall saying anything.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Radio show host John Burns cannot recall comments relating to Bachar Houli vilification claims

Jesse Hogan
The Age
April 27, 2015 - 4:18PM

The co-host of Melbourne's most popular radio show, John Burns, says he does not recall labelling Richmond footballer Bachar Houli a terrorist at the MCG at the weekend - but has apologised if he did, in fact, do so.

Burns was asked on his 3AW radio show on Monday morning if he was the "prominent media figure" referred to in the Herald Sun report about the alleged incident. He replied: "No, it wasn't me . . . certainly not."

By the afternoon, however, Burns confirmed he had been the subject of a allegation from a senior Richmond staff member that Burns had called Houli, a devout Muslim with a prominent beard, a terrorist. The staff member was sitting in front of Burns on level two of the MCG outside the Olympic Room, in which both were attending a function run by the Tigers on Friday night.

"We were at a football match,  we were in the grandstand, we'd had a very pleasant evening . . . and a conversation was taking place between me and a person that I happened to be with, catching up with stuff we were talking about prior to the game . . . and a person in front of me turned around and said 'What did you say?'," Burns told 3AW, which is part-owned by Fairfax Media, the owner of this website.

"I wasn't aware of having said anything, really, and I don't recall what I said, but he alleged I made a comment that was offensive. I don't recall that comment."

Burns confirmed he had been drinking before the incident but insisted he was "certainly not" drunk.

"It was a social event. There was a dinner beforehand. I don't think I was unduly affected by liquor at all. I was there to enjoy the game," he said.

Burns said he was not "barracking or yelling out or anything like that" at the time of the incident and was "quite calm". He said he had subsequently spoken to his conversation partner from Friday night and declared "that person . . . has said he did not hear me say it".

Asked about a scenario in which he had, in fact, called Houli a terrorist, Burns said "absolutely" that would have been inappropriate, and he would convey those sentiments to Houli and the Tigers.

"I would apologise profusely to both of them and tell them I'd be absolutely mortified if I said something like that. It's, in my view, totally out of character and it's not something that I'd normally say at the football," he said.

"I cannot recall saying anything that I intended to be offensive to anybody on the side of [the fence at] the game."

Burns said he had spoke to Houli at previous football functions and considered him to be "just a delightful young man".

Richmond investigated the incident. The club said they acknowledged Burns' statement and accepted his apology, and therefore considered the matter closed. They reiterated their full support for the staff member who raised the issue and reiterated that they accept "his version of events".

Burns disagreed that the latter suggested Richmond did not believe Burns' account of the incident.

"They're not mutually exclusive, those statements," he said.

"I don't remember . . . having made such a comment. He said that I did; what he heard I don't know. I don't remember what the comment was, I don't remember making it.

"On the basis that he says I did, I can't deny what he heard, but if I said something that was offensive that was mortifying."

While the Tigers said they considered the matter closed Burns said he had no qualms with the AFL integrity unit continuing its investigation, believing it was compelled to do so.

"I've apologised for anything I might've done that's offended anybody, but I do not recall anything at all that I intended to be offensive," he said.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/radio-show-host-john-burns-cannot-recall-comments-relating-to-bachar-houli-vilification-claims-20150427-1mudj6.html

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Ch 7 news just now says the media figure was John Burns from 3aw. Burns on 3aw said he can't recall saying anything.
of course he couldn't, was that the lawyers advice  ::)
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
LMAO
Stiff poo
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I think he said that he used to be a bomber and someone thought that meant terrorist! :snidegrin
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
Ah, the AFL industry, will nationally shame a 14 year old girl, will ban some bogan in Bay 13 for racist abuse.
But if a corporate or coterie member does it, it's brushed under the MCC carpet.
I wonder which senior Richmond executive was 'hearing things'?

I think he said that he used to be a bomber and someone thought that meant terrorist! :snidegrin
:lol

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
LMAO
Stiff poo
Some of us are quite offended  ::)
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade