Author Topic: Tigers investigating prominent media figure calling Houli a 'terrorist' (H-Sun)  (Read 4240 times)

tony_montana

Ah, the AFL industry, will nationally shame a 14 year old girl, will ban some bogan in Bay 13 for racist abuse.
But if a corporate or coterie member does it, it's brushed under the MCC carpet.
I wonder which senior Richmond executive was 'hearing things'?

I think he said that he used to be a bomber and someone thought that meant terrorist! :snidegrin
:lol

x2

Hellenic Tiger

Ah, the AFL industry, will nationally shame a 14 year old girl, will ban some bogan in Bay 13 for racist abuse.
But if a corporate or coterie member does it, it's brushed under the MCC carpet.
I wonder which senior Richmond executive was 'hearing things'?

I think he said that he used to be a bomber and someone thought that meant terrorist! :snidegrin
:lol

x2

X3 ;D

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Houli saddened by alleged 'terrorist' slur from radio host
AAP 
April 27, 2015 9:55 PM

RICHMOND’S Bachar Houli has expressed his sadness at being caught up in a vilification controversy.

Melbourne radio announcer John Burns issued an apology on Monday after it was alleged he had referred to Houli, a devout Muslim, as a "terrorist" during the Tigers' loss to Melbourne on Friday night.

Burns said he didn't remember if he had used that word in a conversation with a friend, but Richmond backed the version of events as recounted by a club official who overhead the exchange and lodged a complaint.

"It's just sad to hear it especially in this day and age with the way that we celebrate diversity and celebrate all different cultures," Houli told FoxFooty.

"It's something that we shouldn't accept within our society. We've come a long way and it is definitely a minority - it's not the majority of Australians.

"We are moving forward, but it's just sad to see it pop up every now and then."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-27/richmonds-bachar-houli-allegedly-villified-as-terrorist

-------------------------------------------------------------------

RADIO host Steve Price has backed John Burns, saying he did not hear him call Richmond star Bachar Houli a “terrorist”.

On The Project tonight Price said: “I was there and sitting with John Burns. I didn’t hear that comment at all. So I’m not doubting that the Richmond person says he heard it but I didn’t hear it.”

But if he said it, Price added that “he should apologise to everybody”.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-are-investigating-claims-defender-bachar-houli-was-racially-vilified-by-being-labelled-a-terrorist-in-friday-nights-loss-to-melbourne/story-fni5f9jb-1227322265800

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Why is it sad?

What IS sad is how poo a footballer he is. 

Caracella and Balmey.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
It's sad this story made it to the papers. It's sad a richmond official didn't give the bloke the benefit of the doubt but it's criminal he has more focus on this vague insult than the clear bullpoo that was being served up on the ground.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

No More

LMAO
Stiff poo

How come there is always some side story that comes out of Punt Road after a bad loss. Its just a beat up I reckon.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I would have been offended if someone called him a footballer

Offline froars

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
It's sad this story made it to the papers. It's sad a richmond official didn't give the bloke the benefit of the doubt but it's criminal he has more focus on this vague insult than the clear bullpoo that was being served up on the ground.
JB would be one of the nicest people on radio, one of the few people I enjoy who can be entertaining without the need to be vicious about people.  Hence why I believe if he did say it, it was in jest and probably not in the literal sense.  Sad that people can't discriminate people's intentions these days and cannot understand black humour.  Yes, I know it's not funny to call someone a terrorist these days, even in jest, but I agree with this post, give the bloke the benefit of the doubt FFS.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Understand your point froars but doesn't cut the other way too?

Doesn't the Richmond official deserve to be given the benefit of the doubt that what he says he heard was actually said?

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Understand your point froars but doesn't cut the other way too?

Doesn't the Richmond official deserve to be given the benefit of the doubt that what he says he heard was actually said?

Every official at the club must be made to pay for our loss even if that includes a loss of benefit of the doubt.

Offline froars

• Premiership Captain
Absolutely, and I think JB might be sheepishly admitting he said it, but I would more like to know the context in which it was said, whether it was just a cheeky aside or venomous.  I think if I know JB correctly (and i could be well wrong), he is not that kind of person to do it maliciously.  I would be locked up in jail for all the tongue-in-cheek stuff I say as well, but I don't mean any actual offence.

What worries me in this is that all freedom of expression is being downgraded to a level that I'm not comfortable with.  I do like a joke or two, I hate racists and racism with a passion like most fair-minded people would, but I don't think I've lost my sense of humour yet and I will take the mickey out of most situations.   I would hate to lose that.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Absolutely, and I think JB might be sheepishly admitting he said it, but I would more like to know the context in which it was said, whether it was just a cheeky aside or venomous.  I think if I know JB correctly (and i could be well wrong), he is not that kind of person to do it maliciously.  I would be locked up in jail for all the tongue-in-cheek stuff I say as well, but I don't mean any actual offence.

What worries me in this is that all freedom of expression is being downgraded to a level that I'm not comfortable with.  I do like a joke or two, I hate racists and racism with a passion like most fair-minded people would, but I don't think I've lost my sense of humour yet and I will take the mickey out of most situations.   I would hate to lose that.

Agree with all that

Fair call

Offline froars

• Premiership Captain
There has been an extreme reaction on FB anti JB but without really knowing the circumstances of it at all.  Based on what I've seen and heard of him over the years, he is worthy of being given the benefit of the doubt or an opportunity to come clean in what he meant. 
The younger gen have been brought up differently to me, and what that guy thought he heard, or probably did hear, must have been totally abhorrent to him, whether joking or otherwise, and if he was that offended then he would feel in his own mind to say so.  I am not denigrating him at all for what he did.  I just think people like JB and my generation are prone to have a laugh or two about something that might be politically incorrect and I wouldn't even blink if something like that was said, unless, of course, it is just plain vile and disgusting, and I think we all can assertain that by the context.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame

Agree with all that

Fair call
Didn't need to make the paper - a convenient distraction from other matters perhaps?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
SEN said who the RFC official on Morning Glory this morning. I haven't seen it published anywhere else so I am not prepared to post it. But I know the person involved and they are not young, they're about my age and knowing them for the limited contact I've had with them I don't doubt he has acted with the utmost of good intentions

They said they felt for him and suggested there appear to be double standards by 3AW. Last year they had no hesitation standing down Brian Taylor for his homophobic slur but not this time. Notice the HUN is reporting the Mitchell has gone Whackety, whack, whack this morning.

I think part of the problem is Burns has had the opportunity to come clean. Coming out yesterday with a statement of "I can't recall" and then temper it with clear legal speak (he is lawyer don't forget) has probably caused more angst than appeasing the situation.

Don't think there are any winners here