Author Topic: Trent Cotchin says Tigers are out of excuses & wants to lead fightback (H-Sun)  (Read 6086 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond captain Trent Cotchin says the Tigers are out of excuses for poor results and wants to lead the fightback

Sam Landsberger
Herald-Sun
May 07, 2015

RICHMOND captain Trent Cotchin says the Tigers are out of excuses and he will demand improvement from teammates as the club’s season teeters on the brink.

Cotchin told the Herald Sun the Tigers’ brains trust had increased its communication in a bid to help reverse the form which has them at 2-3 with a brutal five-week block leading into the bye.

Cotchin said this was not the toughest period he had faced as captain but urged players to revert back to enjoying their football and to sharpen their delivery inside 50.

“We’ve been in games,” he said.

“We missed last week (against Geelong) and we probably played a half the week before against the Dees.

“But it’s enough of the excuses for us. We need to start performing for four quarters and give ourselves a chance to win games of footy.

“From an individual point of view I have to lead the way with the way I play and hopefully others follow, and then from there demand it of players.”

The Tigers have started favourites every week but are unlikely to hold that tag again before Round 12 with matches against North Melbourne (Hobart), Collingwood, Port Adelaide (away), Essendon and Fremantle (away) ahead.

Cotchin said the Tigers needed to carry the freedom they showed in the last quarter against the Cats into Saturday’s clash against the Kangaroos.

The Tigers have not beaten the Roos since 2011 and have posted just three wins against them in the past 14 seasons.

Superstar Brett Deledio and target Ben Griffiths are chances to return, while Reece Conca collected 19 disposals in his VFL comeback.

“North have had the wood over us the last couple of years,” Cotchin said.

“Nothing changes with the way we’ve been playing, it’s just about backing yourself in most importantly, and your teammates.

“I think the individuals just need to back themselves in when they have the footy and take care with the ball.

“Our entries inside 50 haven’t been quite as damaging as other opposition teams. We’ve won the inside 50 count in every game this year but haven’t put the score on the board.”

The Tigers slumped to 3-10 last year before peeling off nine-straight wins to reach September and asked if 2015 was following a similar track, Cotchin said “I certainly hope not”.

“The position the club is in now is we have a great coaching staff, a really good playing group, we’re far more mature than we have been in the past and we’re coming together more often to talk about what we can do to make sure we’re performing every week,” Cotchin said.

“We’re doing a lot of work behind the scenes and we want to see the results starting to appear and that comes back to everyone taking ownership.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-captain-trent-cotchin-says-the-tigers-are-out-of-excuses-for-poor-results-and-wants-to-lead-the-fightback/story-fndv8t7m-1227338932441

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
That's a shame.
I too had run out of excuses but could always rely on the players or coaches to help me out......
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
So can we expect the players to take it turns at "patting" each other on the backside as they run out on the ground?

That's one of the things that Cotch does. Why I'll never know; personally I think it's pointless

But is that an example of leading the way he is talking about?
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
So can we expect the players to take it turns at "patting" each other on the backside as they run out on the ground?

That's one of the things that Cotch does. Why I'll never know; personally I think it's pointless

That's what leaders do when they don't know how to lead.

Jackstar is back!!!

They might enjoy being patted on the bottom
I have noticed that as well and wondered why
Maybe that was the reason we kicked against the wind against Port in last years final

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Well said cotch, well bloody said  :clapping
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
So if they had more excuses, they'd just keep losing and not trying?
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
So all these articles to date have been cheap excuses.

What do we say after losing to North? Do we finally concede we are just a rubbish team?
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
So all these articles to date have been cheap excuses.

What do we say after losing to North? Do we finally concede we are just a rubbish team?

oh look, to N0rf's credit their a quality side. And we just didn't turn up to play .

We will bounce back next week and play for a quarter  :shh
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
RICHMOND captain Trent Cotchin says the Tigers are out of excuses and he will demand improvement

“From an individual point of view I have to lead the way with the way I play and hopefully others follow

This one word here highlights what i think is wrong with trents leadership.

There is no hopefully. It's follow me or stuff off!

The thing is, his best football will inspire other to follow, there is no hopefully about it, but the way he talks it just seems that if they dont he will belt them with a pillow.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
I'm sure Dimma and Gale will find some more excuses after the loss. Peggy nowhere to be seen yet again. Doesn't like to comment
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame

THE ONLY WAY Cotchin knows how to lead is by nodding his head when someone else is talking

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Not sure why is matters that Peggy has to comment on football matters at this stage of the season
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
Not sure why is matters that Peggy has to comment on football matters at this stage of the season
Should mould herself on Eddie. That club seems to go alright with fathead commenting at every opportunity. During his time there they've gone from rabble to financial powerhouse, have played finals 10 years in a row and won a flag plus 3 grand final appearances and countless prelims.

A silent president is a bad president

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
5th youngest list in the league ....missing 850 games experience ....only had a 7 day break....the trip to Tasmania was too far ....our standards are not being met on the training track - according to Ivan ....forgot to draw the line in the sand this week
Unleash the tornado