Author Topic: Deledio 2005 NAB Rising Star  (Read 5633 times)

letsgetiton!

Re: Deledio 2005 NAB Rising Star
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2005, 05:29:29 PM »
remember folks, maybe kb thinks like me, why was griffen nominated from a game where ablett kicked 3 goals on him and had 27 touches?????!!!!!!!

he had a good yr and had better games than that geelomg game but the doggies and media pumped up his profile way to much  adcock, mclean, frankilin, and the lions selwin had a better yr than griffen just not as much yahoo/hooha from the media

In fairness X, Lids got nominated in a week he wasn't a standout. The nominees except for the first round or two are meant to be get the nod based on a few good games in succession and that's what they did with Lids and Griffen but not with Nathan Ablett when the judges went for the hype surrounding the surname after one game. When the dogs were coming home like a train late in the season to pinch a finals spot Griffen didn't look out of place although I agree with you about his game on Ablett. Still 17 games and a 13 possie average is a fair effort for a first year player.

I know what i u mean and i agre, griffen is a good kid and player and it will great to see lids and he dual in coming years. but griffen had the advantage of coming home in the season in a team on fire, imagine if the tigers came home on fire in the past 8 rounds, lids would have been even hotter, what makes lids yr so specail is he played in many position and did so quite well, griffen only played well off half back. also lids kept on battling and getting better as the yr went on in a team that struggled. griffen played less games but we dont know if he played every game whether he would have fatigued and fizzled as many young ones do in their 1st yr, but lids just got better and better til rnd 22.

griffen was worthy nominee but mundy franklin roughead imo and others had better yrs.

now about ablett, the best part about him being nominated so quick and late is that he cant win it next yr!!!!!

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2005, 05:40:15 PM »
* Most surprising aspect of footy was the roar of the crowd when he had the footy.

On Sunday, the most exciting part of the game for me was a piece of play that Deledio was involved in.  He collected the ball in our defensive half and got away from G. Ablett before he was able to get a finger on him.  That was probably the first time for the day we really got to hear how many Richmond supporters were at the ground, because everyone of us cheered him on once we saw him take off with the footy in his hands.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Deledio makes the right choice (RFC site)
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2005, 06:07:24 PM »
Deledio makes the right choice
2:29:37 PM Wed 31 August, 2005
Matt Burgan
Sportal for afl.com.au

Outstanding young Richmond midfielder Brett Deledio - the winner of this year's NAB AFL Rising Star Medal - says that playing football at the highest level was always his number one priority ahead of a potential cricket career with his state.

Earlier this year it was reported that the late David Hookes, who was the Victorian cricket coach when Deledio was on the verge of an AFL career, was going to offer the prodigious youngster a Bushrangers' contract - one of only 20 available at senior level.

Hookes believed that cricket needed to take a stand and claim a talented young sportsman ahead of football.

Hookes had Deledio in his sights, but Deledio said playing Victoria was not an option over an AFL career.

"I played in the under 17s (for Victoria), so obviously I was still tossing up then, with the under 18s (football) carnival and the under 17s cricket, so it only happened reasonably late, but I've always leaned more towards footy," Deledio said after winning the NAB AFL Rising Star Medal.

"Dad (Wayne played one match for Carlton in 1975) played it, so I wanted to play it just like he did.

"I had no idea (about Hookes' idea), until I read about it in the paper.

Along with Nathan Buckley and Michael Wilson, Deledio became the third player to win the Rising Star Medal after playing every match for the year, but he still didn't believe he would claim the honour.

"I wouldn't say I was expecting it. There are a lot of good players in this year's group, so to win it is an absolute shock," Deledio said.

"To be put in a group with (previous winners) Ben Cousins and Nathan Buckley and those guys is massive."

Deledio said his first season was a buzz and that started way back in Richmond's pre-season campaign.

"Running out there for the first time - even my Wizard Cup first game - I didn't want to smile, I wanted to be all serious, but I couldn't help it," Deledio said.

"The crowd was cheering and I had the biggest smile come across my face. Just the awe of being out there, playing in front of 70,000 people, is the best feeling ever."

As for a player he has modeled his game on?

"I've always loved the way Chris Judd played, so to look at the way he plays and the way he handles himself in the media - he's probably the biggest guy that I 'role' myself on," Deledio said.

"He's my favourite player, so to be compared to him - I can't really describe the feeling."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=226248

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Deledio was a monte: Johnson (RFC site)
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2005, 06:08:57 PM »
Deledio was a monte: Johnson
2:22:56 PM Wed 31 August, 2005
Matt Burgan
Sportal for afl.com.au

Richmond captain Kane Johnson says there was no surprise at all from his perspective that outstanding young teammate Brett Deledio won this year's NAB AFL Rising Star Medal.

Johnson said Deledio was a cut above the rest of the NAB AFL Rising Star nominees for 2005.

"He's been the standout player of the year," Johnson said, when joining Deledio at his Rising Star media conference on Wednesday.

"Obviously (Western Bulldogs) Ryan Griffen was very good as well, but Brett played all 22 games and averaged 15 possessions and kicked 20-odd goals, so it's a fantastic effort for a first-year player."

But Johnson said Deledio is likely to face a tougher season in 2006, due to greater expectations.

"Obviously, I think the second year is probably always the hardest year and I think he'll have a lot more pressure on him from now on, and obviously he'll be getting tagged a little bit throughout his career, so he's going to have to get used to that," Johnson said.

"But he's got a good head on his shoulders and I'm sure he'll cope."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=226251

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2005, 06:38:51 PM »
* For the young ladies out there - he's single.Cogs will be his date to the brownlow lol.

I guess i probably shouldn't mention the Deledio/Coughlan gay rumour then!  :shh

Bulluss

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2005, 08:07:03 PM »
He was always going to win it, Lids will retire as a Tiger Champion and possibly the greatest player to have played the game for us.

I know that is a big statement but he is far and away the best talent i have seen at Richmond in my lifetime.

Good work Brett :thumbsup

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2005, 08:19:36 PM »
There's no denying his natural gifts.

Now it just remains a matter of seeing if he has the intangibles: mettle, durability, discipline and consistency.

If he does he'll be an all-time great.

Ox

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2005, 08:33:56 PM »
When u think about it all players pre late 70s were realistically s h i t h o u s e.

Blokes like Dyer,Hart,Farmer would not even get a game in a competition that has refined its skills
to such a degree that today there are some absolute freaks going around.

They might have done the odd good thing

I know that the older guys are our history and all but face it,how easy and slack was it back then.

Realistically they stand for nothing in todays game except maybe tried it first.

LMAO

Well done Lids.

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2005, 09:08:02 PM »
When u think about it all players pre late 70s were realistically s h i t h o u s e.

Blokes like Dyer,Hart,Farmer would not even get a game in a competition that has refined its skills
to such a degree that today there are some absolute freaks going around.

They might have done the odd good thing

I know that the older guys are our history and all but face it,how easy and slack was it back then.

Realistically they stand for nothing in todays game except maybe tried it first.

LMAO

Well done Lids.
That is the greatest lot of TRIPE I have read on this forum.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2005, 09:11:33 PM »
What Lids said:

* For the young ladies out there - he's single. Cogs will be his date to the brownlow lol.

He is very cute.  Maybe he could save himself till Mini Me is old enough - say another 10 years.

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2005, 09:21:48 PM »
What Lids said:

* For the young ladies out there - he's single. Cogs will be his date to the brownlow lol.

He is very cute.  Maybe he could save himself till Mini Me is old enough - say another 10 years.
Your beautiful julz a real gem

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2005, 12:46:58 AM »
now about ablett, the best part about him being nominated so quick and late is that he cant win it next yr!!!!!

Why? Duncan Kellaway was nominated two years running...as long as he's under the age and game limit, isn't he still eligible?
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2005, 01:17:20 AM »

Why? Duncan Kellaway was nominated two years running...as long as he's under the age and game limit, isn't he still eligible?

Yes he is Fwoy :thumbsup
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Guts, glory for star Tiger (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2005, 04:49:18 AM »
Guts, glory for star Tiger
01 September 2005 
 Herald Sun
Damian Barrett

BRETT Deledio has had blond tips since he was 12, been wearing white boots since his second senior match and regularly attends a trendy salon for facials.

NAB Rising Star It's the image of a pretty boy, and he's proud of it.

But there's another far tougher side to this extraordinarily talented 18-year-old, and without it he yesterday would not have gained the highest honour available to young AFL players.

Deledio, Richmond's No. 1 selection in last year's national draft, was acknowledged as the 2005 National Rising Star, a title he won easily from Bulldog Ryan Griffen and Fremantle's David Mundy.

The Deledio stories told at yesterday's presentation at Crown centred on the hardness of of the boy from Kyabram and the Murray Bushrangers.

Especially the one about the night at training when blood began to pour from his nose after it was broken in a collision with a teammate at Punt Rd.

Deledio got straight up, and kept training. Tough kid, thought coach Terry Wallace.

Training finished and the players completed the night's work with some sit-ups and push-ups. Deledio was there.

Wallace said yesterday most players then showered and left, but as he made his way to the exit that night, he saw Deledio in the boxing ring.

Headgear on and gloves laced, he was sparring. Blond tips, white boots, perfect skin . . . and plenty of guts.

"That all started with Dad teaching me a 'Get up, you're not hurt' mentality," Deledio said yesterday after accepting the award, that carries with it a $10,000 investment portfolio.

"Any time you look like you're hurt, you get up, you don't show your pain on the footy field. And you want to train how you play, so I took that on the training track and just did the same."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,16454009%255E19771,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Lids as good a youngster as I've had - Wallace
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2005, 05:39:00 AM »
Russell Gould
MX

Richmond coach Terry Wal­lace said Deledio had out­stripped expectations.

"After three weeks of training I knew he would play straight away," Wallace said.

"He showed he was of that level - he could jump right in and mix it with the best.

"But one of the real strengths of his season was that he actually got better as the season went along. I thought he would tire at some stage, but instead he raised the bar as games got more important and the chal­lenge got greater both for him and the team.

"I tried to keep him out of the middle of the ground early, out of the hurly-burly, so he could find his feet. But he is a natural ruck-rover - that's where he will play - and so we moved him in there. ­

'Then he handled everything we put up to him - all the challenges. He's as good a youngster as I've had.

"It is a really prestigious award, given the past winners. Now it is just a matter of not getting ahead of himself.

"And Richmond hasn't had a great history with No.1 draft picks, so it shows we were on the mark too."