Author Topic: Deledio 2005 NAB Rising Star  (Read 5634 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Lids on Sport 927 (audio)
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2005, 04:22:03 PM »
 ‘Rising Star’ winner, Brett Deledio, spoke to the Sport 927 Prime Time Sports team this morning about the award and his first year in AFL.

http://sport927.com.au/gateway/Daily_Audio/Sound%20Grabs/BD_010905.asx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'Star' dogfight - KB returns fire (The Age)
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2005, 06:58:28 PM »
'Star' dogfight - KB returns fire
By Geoff McClure
The Age
September 2, 2005

AND we thought that football award voting disputes were limited only to the Brownlow Medal. What about the stoush that erupted yesterday between Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade and former star Kevin Bartlett over the former Richmond champion's assessment in the AFL Rising Star award of Doggie teenager Ryan Griffen.

The 19-year-old South Australian finished second in the award with 34 votes, nine behind the eventual winner Brett Deledio, but no thanks to Bartlett, one of the nine judges, who was the only one not to have him in his top five, a decision Eade said he was "amazed and gobsmacked" by.

"Here's a bloke who's meant to know a bit about footy," thundered Eade. "Everyone said it was too close to call between the two of them (Deledio and Griffen). I have no idea how Bartlett came to his decision to leave him out."

Well, here's how, Bartlett hitting back at Eade yesterday, and doing so with the help of a set of charts that not only appear to support his argument but - depending on how much importance you place on statistics, of course - even indicate that the other eight judges may have got their voting wrong.

The stats we speak of are respected stats firm ProWess' personal Rising Star rankings, based on 17 different categories, from possessions, to contested and uncontested kicks, right down to the "one percenters". The bottom line is that not only did Griffen not finish in ProWess' top five, but he only narrowly made the top 10, finishing ninth, with 652 points, 296 behind the top-placed Deledio.

"I think Griffen will be one day an outstanding player, but in the context of this year I rated him sixth in the Rising Star," said Bartlett.

For the record, ProWess placed Griffen 13th in kicks, eighth in handballs, 14th in contested-ball gets, 11th in uncontested-ball gets, 16th in marks and 10th in tackles.

PROWESS' RISING STAR (rankings)

1. B Deledio (Rich) 948
2. J Adcock (BL) 842
3. B McLean (Melb) 836
4. K Bradley (Ess) 729
5. J Sherman (BL) 688
6. D Mundy (Fre) 662
7. J Lewis (Haw) 662
8. A Corrie (BL) 658
9. R Griffen (WB) 652
10. A Selwood (WC) 647

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Deledio 2005 NAB Rising Star
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2005, 07:27:56 PM »
I was puzzled by Griffen's lowly ranking. I can only assume that these points are season aggregates. So the 5 games missed by Griffen prove rather costly. Had Griffen played every game he would have been around 850. I can only assume that some of the other players on that list would have been considerably higher had they played 22 matches as well (perhaps even higher than Delboy).

In my mind, Griffen is a very good footballer. I think he has possibly had a tougher role in the thick of it at the doggies, and has done well. I've seen enough of him to be convinced that he will be a very good footballer, but I havent seen him sprint 35 metres and full pace and launch a 65 metre torp on the run to an unattended teammate. There is no question that Griffen is a very very good footballer, fleet of mind, but not with the sheer natural ability of Deledio. All in my opinion.

I

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2005, 05:49:17 AM »
I was puzzled by Griffen's lowly ranking. I can only assume that these points are season aggregates.

Yep Jake you're right about them being aggregates but in terms of number of average disposals Griffen is listed at 10th with 13.2 while Lids is 5th with 15.2.

http://www.prowess.com.au/pro-stats/statofweek/statofweek.pdf
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Lids wins AFLPA best first year player award
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2005, 02:37:08 AM »
Another day another award :thumbsup. On ya Brett  :cheers

Good luck in the GF sprint tomorrow.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2005, 02:29:24 PM »
How’s this for a season?  He’s played every game this year, won the NAB Rising star and, as recognition for winning the rising star award, took part in the GF parade, did a lap before the GF and attended the Brownlow.  He then wins the AFLPA best first year player award, and wins the sprint the next day.

Not to mention all the other interviews and so on in between all of that.  What a season.  I’m tired just thinking about it.

He’s done a great job just to keep his feet on the ground.

Well done Brett. :thumbsup
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2005, 07:54:59 PM »
How’s this for a season?  He’s played every game this year, won the NAB Rising star and, as recognition for winning the rising star award, took part in the GF parade, did a lap before the GF and attended the Brownlow.  He then wins the AFLPA best first year player award, and wins the sprint the next day.

Not to mention all the other interviews and so on in between all of that.  What a season.  I’m tired just thinking about it.

He’s done a great job just to keep his feet on the ground.

Well done Brett. :thumbsup

Loved it when he was interviewed after winning the sprint on how he felt about it all - "I'm stuffed"  :lol

Ox

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2005, 03:03:31 AM »
But, most of all, I remember the
courage of a stranger, a road
warrior called Lids'. 
To understand  who he was you must go back to the
 last days of the old world ...
when, for reasons long
               forgotten, four mighty warrior
               nations went to war over the right to boast winner of the afl Grand Final ...
                                        At last, the vermin had inherited
               the earth.(Dimitriou)
                                        And in this maelstrom of decay,
               ordinary men were battered and
               crushed.....men like ........Dani Frawley.

From destruction comes life...a new beginning,hence,born unto us by the eyre directed at spuds stupidity.
Lids',The Road Warrior.
.                                    ..
                                          in the fullness of time,
                                          he became the leader,r
                                           - the chief of the Burnley  Tribe...