Author Topic: Furious Chaplin tells Tigers to 'grow up' ........ (afl site)  (Read 2224 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Chaplin's press conference today ...

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2015-05-11/chaplin-press-conference-may-11th

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Furious Chaplin tells Tigers to 'grow up'

Peter Ryan 
afl.com.au
May 11, 2015 11:51 AM

ANGRY Richmond defender Troy Chaplin says the Tigers need to "grow up and act like men" if they are to turn their spluttering season around.

The 29-year-old said it was time to get to the heart of why the Tigers sat 13th on the ladder with just two wins from six rounds.

"We need to challenge one another and take the feedback and be honest with one another," Chaplin said.

"We have got respect for one another. We need to challenge one another and put it on one another to improve as a group and individually as well and that goes for me as well."

The frustrated defender said the team was making critical mistakes that enabled the opposition to score from turnovers.

He said the Tigers knew they were not performing to expectations, both internal and external.

"I'm spewing with the way we've been playing at the moment and I'm not the only one," Chaplin said.

"There are not one or two players to improve. It's every single one of us."

Chaplin emphasised that the group needed to remain united to address the challenges they now faced.

He said it was the players, rather than coach Damien Hardwick, who should be feeling the heat for the performances.     

"At the moment we're letting him down as a playing group," Chaplin said.

Despite the hard conversations ahead, Chaplin remained confident the group would stay strong and emerge better for the experience.

"The journey is never going to be easy," Chaplin said.

"If we start to fracture as a group, that is when the club can unfold and go back to the dark days and we don't want that as a group."

Part of the solution was to train under pressure even more than they have been in a bid to eradicate mistakes made in games, he said. 

Dropped marks and poor kicks during the third quarter against North Melbourne were costly as the team conceded seven goals.

"Those errors are silly mistakes that are undefendable at times," Chaplin said.

Richmond had as many handballs as kicks against the Kangaroos, and 28 more handballs than kicks against Geelong, but Chaplin said that wasn't part of the Tigers' game plan. 

"For some reason we've forced ourselves into trying to play quick flat out football," he said.

"We need to execute a lot better and that doesn't mean playing that handball happy game. We're a good, skilful team by foot."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-11/furious-chaplin-tells-tigers-to-grow-up

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Furious Chaplin tells Tigers to 'grow up' ........ (afl site)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 01:21:25 PM »
Chaplin would have to have more than his fair share of clangers since coming to the club, for someone in the leadership group its players like him who should be leading by example but instead continue to make the same fundamental mistakes made by others. Cotch is another who seems to have gone from elite to a kicking hack, do we really have anyone who can nail a 30 metre pass, i don't think so to be honest and maybe that's the centre of our problems, we simply cannot execute the basic skills of the game especially when under pressure. We as supporters know that and opposition players and coaches know that so we become easy beats as we are at the moment, just wait for us to make the mistakes and make us pay.

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 01:33:53 PM »
"For some reason we've forced ourselves into trying to play quick flat out football," he said.

Huh?  :lol

If what we're doing at the moment is quick football, I'd hate to see slow football.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 01:44:39 PM »
 :facepalm Make it stop make it stop

:facepalm
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 02:06:48 PM »
He wants them to 'grow up'?   WTF does that have to do with anything?

The one thing even more frustrating then the way we are playing is the players coming out and making these sorts of comments during the week.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 02:22:05 PM »
At least he is showing some emotion - now for match day
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 02:53:16 PM »
Coach & match commitee need to grow up and drop old hacks like Chaplin. The players just need to shut up and start playing decent football.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 03:26:53 PM »
the problem is that each club is required to provide for a certain amount of interviews to the media so they are obliged to do so.

Yeah, actions do speak loader than words though.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 04:20:39 PM »
What he means is the seniors players are playing like bunnies & should be playing the ball harder. They are playing scared & you can tell the way they want to get rid of the ball quickly without thinking & using the skills & mindset that got them to AFL football. Common sense really.

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 06:13:30 PM »
Shut up Chaplin

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 06:19:45 PM »
This is what happens when you draw too many lines in the sand.

Grow up and stop playing with buckets and spades.
Go Tigers!

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 08:14:50 PM »
RFC drawing lines in the sand inside the tent.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 08:39:27 PM »
They've drawn a trench this time!

OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 08:48:42 PM »
Wot a joke
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

tony_montana

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 09:15:07 PM »
wow, this bloke of all blokes really has no business having a crack at the playing group, he is a leader and is responsible for some of the biggest clangers on field each week. His pedestrian loping to the loose ball when he's 20metres clear only to be beaten to the ball is just plain embarrassing, seen him nutmegged by the ball twice this year when he was the last man or sweeper, got covered by Rance one of the times otherwise would've been the biggest blooper goal of the season.