Author Topic: Adam Treloar targeted by Tigers, Roos, Pies (Hun)  (Read 24082 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Adam Treloar targeted by Tigers, Roos, Pies (Hun)
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2015, 09:12:22 PM »
of those you listed only one played in a premiership at his new club, and he wasnt really the difference between winning it or not.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2015, 09:17:04 PM »
of those you listed only one played in a premiership at his new club, and he wasnt really the difference between winning it or not.

No Buddy did too, they just didn't win, I get your point, would be interesting to research though.

When do you think you can let us know.. ;D
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2015, 09:23:10 PM »
The counter argument is there have been a number of players who look great in decent side but when they go to a poor side they get showed up for not being as good as what most thought

Example 1 = nick Malcheski - Sawns to GC

Example 2 - Christiansen - Cats to Lions

Want more?
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2015, 09:40:35 PM »
serious question.

how many big name players have changed clubs in the last 10 years and how many have actually made a big improvement to their new club?
To name a few - Lake, Frawley, Burgoine, Gunston & Hale  - were all named in the AA side before leaving their original clubs to win a flag at Whorethorn!   :shh   (Frawley is next in line) 
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2015, 09:51:38 PM »
geez, think we will ignore hale and lake out of that list. hardly big name recruits on big money.

burgoine is class, but from memory hawthorne got him relatvely cheap, but he has been an important cog in their machine.

gunston was a good pick up, and not overly cheap, but was it on the sort of coin they are talking about for treloar?

frawley was basically a swap for franklin, in terms of coin spent. nor will he be that important to their premiership hopes.

so well say 2, out of how many?

Offline Jonah Vark

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2015, 10:51:12 PM »

You're initial question wasn't whether they helped win premierships or not it was whether they greatly improved their sides. Ottens absolutely improved Geelong. There wasn't actually an AFL side before he arrived, unless you want to count the side that played in the VFL for a year, but GC are a total poo truck without Ablett and were storming to a finals berth last year before he did his shoulder. Carlton would love Kennedy now but Masten's only just coming good now and they wouldn't have even played in a final, let alone win a couple and come within a kick of a prelim had Judd not been there.

I would've thought the difference Brown made to us before his freak injury, which nobody could've forseen, was pretty bloody obvious, particularly if you followed the trajectory of the 2005 season.

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2015, 10:57:11 PM »
Ok then, ignore Hale & Lake even though they both made the AA team (best 22 in the game) & Lake's deal at Whorethorn was over 600k, but ignore that too. 
Here's one you cant ignore - Buddy for a million bucks a season! 
Do I dare to mention Tippett too ... another million bucks ...
Boyd leaving GWS & going to the Doggies for a million bucks without even playing a game!   ::)
Frawley didn't leave Melb to play for orange peels at Whorethorn ... around 600k too.
Sam Gibson too ...

Whats the score now Al? 
I take your point though, there are relatively few trades involving A grade players as a percentage of all trades.  Expansion sides have grabbed everything & stockpiled it, reducing the numbers of big trades of young guns.  It would be interesting to do this again in 2 years time when a few contracts have expired ...     

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #127 on: July 24, 2015, 11:00:41 PM »
Lake won the norm smith didn't he? Big contributor

Burgoyne wasn't cheap Al. 2 first round picks if I recall and big money at the time.

There have been a few who have excelled at their new club as others have said. Add b Vince to that list as well.

My theory is you shouldn't be affraid to pay for quality players just like Burgoyne and Gunston, especially when you have a plethora of hacks still on descent money. Get rid of those and spend it on a quality player. It's not that hard

FJ hasn't got the greatest record either so can't really rely on him to find us a graders with post first round picks

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Jonah Vark

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2015, 11:04:29 PM »
Burgoyne has made a significant difference to Hawthorn, after the 2009 hangover they were looking like one hit wonder fluke artists - he was a  crucial component in getting them back on track and eventually becoming a powerhouse IMO.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #129 on: July 25, 2015, 11:53:49 AM »
serious question.

how many big name players have changed clubs in the last 10 years and how many have actually made a big improvement to their new club?
To name a few - Lake, Frawley, Burgoine, Gunston & Hale  - were all named in the AA side before leaving their original clubs to win a flag at Whorethorn!   :shh   (Frawley is next in line)
Gunstan had played 14 games when he left Adelaide, hardly a big name...
Both he and Hale were not in an AA side.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #130 on: July 25, 2015, 11:57:47 AM »
Ok then, ignore Hale & Lake even though they both made the AA team (best 22 in the game) & Lake's deal at Whorethorn was over 600k, but ignore that too. 
Here's one you cant ignore - Buddy for a million bucks a season! 
Do I dare to mention Tippett too ... another million bucks ...
Boyd leaving GWS & going to the Doggies for a million bucks without even playing a game!   ::)
Frawley didn't leave Melb to play for orange peels at Whorethorn ... around 600k too.
Sam Gibson too ...

Whats the score now Al? 
I take your point though, there are relatively few trades involving A grade players as a percentage of all trades.  Expansion sides have grabbed everything & stockpiled it, reducing the numbers of big trades of young guns.  It would be interesting to do this again in 2 years time when a few contracts have expired ...     

Sam Gibson??
I assume you mean Josh and again he was hardly a big name when he was traded 

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #131 on: July 25, 2015, 12:41:49 PM »

You're initial question wasn't whether they helped win premierships or not it was whether they greatly improved their sides. Ottens absolutely improved Geelong. There wasn't actually an AFL side before he arrived, unless you want to count the side that played in the VFL for a year, but GC are a total poo truck without Ablett and were storming to a finals berth last year before he did his shoulder. Carlton would love Kennedy now but Masten's only just coming good now and they wouldn't have even played in a final, let alone win a couple and come within a kick of a prelim had Judd not been there.

I would've thought the difference Brown made to us before his freak injury, which nobody could've forseen, was pretty bloody obvious, particularly if you followed the trajectory of the 2005 season.
ottens had back surgery and took two to three years to get back to playing top class footy, by then geelong were well on the way to becoming a dominant side.

Yeah Brown would arguably be number three. his impact was great, albeit for a short period, which is why i discounted him.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #132 on: July 25, 2015, 12:46:01 PM »
Honestly there really hasn't been many players at all to leave for big money and take the new team to a premiership instantly.
Does anyone really think that by paying overs for this bloke he will instantly turn us into a premiership threat? I don't think so.
What about our small fwd/s need, another quality ruck, running defender, tall defender.
There are a few needs he is but one.
I am not against taking him at all, I was really strong on taking Shiel and this kid would definitely Improve our midfield but if taking him means we miss out on two other players coming in is it worth it?
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #133 on: July 25, 2015, 12:52:19 PM »
Honestly there really hasn't been many players at all to leave for big money and take the new team to a premiership instantly.
Does anyone really think that by paying overs for this bloke he will instantly turn us into a premiership threat? I don't think so.
What about our small fwd/s need, another quality ruck, running defender, tall defender.
There are a few needs he is but one.
I am not against taking him at all, I was really strong on taking Shiel and this kid would definitely Improve our midfield but if taking him means we miss out on two other players coming in is it worth it?

Swapping Newman or grigg, for a kid talked about as the best young talent going around?

Yes, I think that would instantly make us a lot closer to threatening for a flag

Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Tigershark

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #134 on: July 25, 2015, 12:55:19 PM »
What about Griff to Collingwood for their 1st Rounder.  Then we have two 1st rounders for Treloar.....