Author Topic: ‘Tigers can’t rely on Dimma’s rockets’ - Jack Riewoldt (Herald-Sun)  (Read 571 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jack Riewoldt says Richmond can’t rely on sprays from Damien Hardwick for motivation

Lauren Wood
Herald-Sun
July 9, 2015

RICHMOND star Jack Riewoldt admits putting the team first has led him back to form.

Riewoldt has reinvented himself this year, playing more up the ground and earning 48.6 per cent of his disposals in the midfield with Tyrone Vickery and Ben Griffiths holding down the fort inside 50.

He’s targeted less inside 50 and has taken less marks inside the arc this year, but despite the shift has still booted 36 goals this season, including a haul of six against Sydney a fortnight ago.

The 26-year-old signed a contract extension 10 days ago and spoke of how much he has “grown up” over the last 12 months, saying on Wednesday that playing for the team is to thank for his resurgence.

“Something I’ve been focusing on is just playing a role for the side and that’s led to me playing some pretty good footy individually,” Riewoldt said.

“Ultimately, my focus on the weekend is to go out and play my role for the team.

“If it leads to me playing good (football) or if it leads to me playing more of a selfless role and exploiting other options up forward or through the half-forward line then that’s what I’ll do.”

The Tigers were 15 points down at three-quarter time of Saturday’s clash with Greater Western Sydney, going on to win by nine points in a turnaround Riewoldt admits the side might not have achieved in recent years.

He says the team is maturing - led by skipper Trent Cotchin - and the results are showing.

“It is a game that in the past we may have lost,” the goalkicker said.

“I certainly think that our captain was probably key in us getting back into the game in that last quarter and finishing the way that we did, and the week before against Sydney in the third quarter he really picked us up and was dragging us in the right direction.

“The group’s maturing, but our leaders are maturing as well and are finding moments in games where they can lift the group and get us going in the right direction.”

Carlton awaits on Friday night at the MCG, and, with the Blues having won two out of their last three outings, Riewoldt says the Tigers can’t take them lightly.

“They’ve been playing some pretty good footy under (interim coach) John Barker. They’re a proud football club and we’re really expecting them to come out firing,” he said.

“I think they’ve been playing better footy than (they’ve been given) credit for.

“For us, it’s not about trying to beat up on any opposition, it’s about playing them on their merits and they’ve been playing some great footy against some great sides.

“They were unlucky against the Bulldogs last week who have certainly been a form side of this year, so for us, we need to bring our A-game to compete with them. We need to play our brand of footy to come away with a result.”

And while the Tiger train might be rolling towards September, Riewoldt isn’t getting carried away.

“I’ve got no eyes on a top four position at the moment. I’ve got two eyes on Friday night footy against Carlton,” he said.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/jack-riewoldt-says-richmond-cant-rely-on-sprays-from-damien-hardwick-for-motivation/story-fndv8t7m-1227433560370

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Two things that can't last forever:

1.  Cotchin going kamkazi mode

2. Dimma sprays working
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Dimmas Rockets,  :lol sounds like an ice cream
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.