Author Topic: Richmond to wear Dreamtime guernsey against Hawthorn.  (Read 13201 times)

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Re: Richmond to wear Dreamtime guernsey against Hawthorn.
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2015, 06:10:22 PM »
In my book, from now on if you boo Goodes, you're a racist.

And serious question

What about those who don't boo but don't like the bloke for reasons that have nothing to do with his race? Are they racists too?

Or those who don't agree with his divisive comments on indigenous issues, but again they don't boo him? Are they racists?

Or is it just the booers?

Because going by the media commentary over the last 72 hours in particular anyone who has a negative opinion of the bloke is a racist.

People who booed (past tense) Adam Goodes arn't necessarily racists and people should be aloud to boo whomever they like. However, given the muddied circumstances in the current, if you didn't like Adam Goodes but KNEW you were associating with racists; to continue booing is to be an accessory to the fact.

Adam Goodes hasn't made any divisive comments on indigenous issues; he's spoken of facts and of uncomfortable truths. These are NOT divisive insofar as they are not related to divided opinions. FACTS of horrible historical mistreatment and of genocide of Aboriginals are largely accepted as truths. What is divisive are peoples interpretations and understandings. I think people are largely ill-informed and ignorant of a lot of the detail of treatment of indigenous Australians. Adam Goodes speaks about how this needs to change and we need to be more accepting of this part of history - which he has every right to do. Id go so far as to say if you call these actions 'divisive' then you're being revisionist along racial lines.

So yes, given now that we have a groundswell of Australians asserting that whilst disliking and booing a footballer is and should be acceptable, when your boos are masking an undertone of racial proportions it now makes your boos racist by association and I think this is a fair summation. 

After all, its not up to the individual (white, middleclass, privileged) to determine if their own actions and words are racist - its up to society as a whole. A cultural cringe of this magnitude suggests unequivocally that YES these actions are deemed to be racist. If you boo Adam Goodes now, you're a racist.

Accessory to the fact.  ;D
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2015, 06:13:12 PM »
I boo him because he's half British 
Same as the cricket
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2015, 06:18:03 PM »
I don't care if it's racism or not - this is extreme bullying and it needs to stop.

::)
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2015, 07:00:03 PM »
Extreme bullying - LMFAO.....

Booing at a sporting game, which isn't racist,  is 'extreme bullying'?

Geez Geez. The collective human species does not have hope in hell of getting along and not destroying itself.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2015, 07:19:32 PM »
Wonder if Jake Batchelor's on board with this tribute to the man who tried to knock his head off in the dying seconds of round 23 last year?
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2015, 07:27:45 PM »
stuffn pommy bastard!
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2015, 07:42:19 PM »
Maybe we're trying to make amends for having the worst record of draffting & developing indigineous talent this century.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2015, 07:53:20 PM »
We alone set indigenous development back 30 years
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2015, 08:14:17 PM »
Read an article some years ago about the different reactions to black athletes.
Can't find the article now but it was about how there is a kind of unspoken deal.
One type of black athlete is compliant and does not mention the racism, past and present, that he suffers. He is lauded for his success and ability. Think Joe Louis.
The other is a challenger and points out racism, past and present, and is hated and vilified for his ingratitude at the success "we have granted him". Think Ali.

IMO this is what is happening with Goodes.
He's ungrateful for the success we "allow" him by pointing out our racism failures.
We must tear him down to provide an example to all those other "uppity niggers" who forget their place.

Comparison to any other black footballers is both irrelevant and the point.
We don't boo the other 70 indigenous footballers precisely because he is exceptional in publicly challenging racism.     

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2015, 08:27:52 PM »
i dont really like Adam Goodes.

until today i had no idea of what he has said on the subject on racism.

I read his Australian of the year acceptance speech and TBH i cant see a single problem with it. he came across as humble, sincere and conciliatory.

Doesn't really change my view on him though, as that side of things had nothing to do with my view of him.

sorry to not conform to your generalising.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2015, 08:28:39 PM »
We alone set indigenous development back 30 years

This controversy is easily resolved with some thoughtful planning on behalf of the AFL ....

The AFL should require each club to publish the full genealogy of each player on their list, so that fans can determine who is boo-able and who is not.  The AFL should then publish the selected team's full genealogy each week, maybe on the scoreboard before the teams run out and certainly at the major breaks in the game.  Just to be safe, at every interchange, the interchange steward should hold up a card to advise the crowd of whether it is allowable to boo the player who interchanges and perhaps hold up a second card to advise the crowd whether it is permissible to heckle the player who has just returned to the bench.

This then leads to a second issue, which is that some players may consider cheering to be sarcastically motivated and thus synonymous to bullying.  An answer may be to swap out the GPS device in the back of each player's guernsey with a mobile phone, which would still provide GPS functionality (provided the player subscribed to the appropriate mobile plan - probably not Vodafone though) whilst allowing players to post their current reactions to the crowd on Twitter, so that fans would know if they've gone too far with their cheering ....

All easily sorted out .....

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2015, 08:37:47 PM »
Read an article some years ago about the different reactions to black athletes.
Can't find the article now but it was about how there is a kind of unspoken deal.
One type of black athlete is compliant and does not mention the racism, past and present, that he suffers. He is lauded for his success and ability. Think Joe Louis.
The other is a challenger and points out racism, past and present, and is hated and vilified for his ingratitude at the success "we have granted him". Think Ali.

IMO this is what is happening with Goodes.
He's ungrateful for the success we "allow" him by pointing out our racism failures.
We must tear him down to provide an example to all those other "uppity mans" who forget their place.

Comparison to any other black footballers is both irrelevant and the point.
We don't boo the other 70 indigenous footballers precisely because he is exceptional in publicly challenging racism.   

Pretty deep that, sigmund

Nice one
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2015, 09:08:07 PM »
Extreme bullying - LMFAO.....

Booing at a sporting game, which isn't racist,  is 'extreme bullying'?

Geez Geez. The collective human species does not have hope in hell of getting along and not destroying itself.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2015, 09:12:01 PM »
So if I boo the 50% of Goodes that's white is that ok then?

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2015, 09:22:20 PM »
well, that is the part responsible for the grubby things on the field....
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI