Author Topic: Anthony Miles on SEN  (Read 1042 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Anthony Miles on SEN
« on: August 02, 2015, 10:50:01 PM »
Miles' interview on SEN's Crunch-Time:

AUDIO: https://audioboom.com/boos/3427270-crunch-time-friday-night-analysis-anthony-miles

-----------------------------------------------

Anthony Miles shows lion-hearted attitude in Richmond win over Hawthorn

Ben Waterworth
    FOX SPORTS
    August 02, 2015

HE DOESN’T have the biggest profile of all Richmond midfielders, but Anthony Miles has development into one of the most important, according to coach Damien Hardwick.

In one of his team’s greatest wins of recent years, Miles was arguably the best player on the ground during the Tigers’ memorable 18-point win over Hawthorn at the MCG on Friday night.

The 23-year-old finished the game with 30 disposals (18 contested), seven clearances and eight inside 50s. Just as importantly, he gained a team-high 513m for the Tigers, as well as 24 pressure acts and six score involvements.

He might not have the skill of Trent Cotchin, the versatility of Brett Deledio or the explosiveness of Dustin Martin. But Miles has “the heart of the lion”, according to Hardwick.

“He’s just a guy that gets the job done. For a player who’s no taller than 178cm, he’s got the heart of a lion. His ability to win contested ball and throw himself in the contest is fantastic,” Hardwick told 3AW.

“In the last quarter alone (against the Hawks) when we really needed him, he stood up, got some really important clearances and managed to halve a lot of contests. He just puts himself in the right place at the right time.”

Teammate Brett Deledio said Miles’ contested ball and clearance work against the best team in the competition was inspiring.

“He’s not blessed with a heap of size or heaps of speed … but he certainly knows how to find it and not afraid to match it with the big boys. He just feeds it out and gets it to out to the boys on the outside,” Deledio told Triple M.

Miles revealed that Hardwick said in the lead-up to the Friday night clash when other teams have played the Hawks in the past, those sides have gone into their shells.

The inside midfielder said one of Hardwick’s major messages was to play the Tigers’ brand of footy and not be intimidated by the Hawks on the big stage.

“It’s only a little thing, but if Cotch’s getting pushed around, I’d like to think that, not only myself, but everyone else would get up for him,” Miles told SEN.

“You’ve got so much respect for Hawthorn, but for that 120 minutes you’ve got to put that aside and tackle them head-on.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/anthony-miles-shows-lion-hearted-attitude-in-richmond-win-over-hawthorn/story-e6frf3e3-1227466024613

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Anthony Miles on SEN
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 10:51:15 PM »
Anthony Miles says Tigers wouldn’t be intimidated by big-name Hawks

Nick Smart
    Herald Sun
    August 02, 2015

RICHMOND midfielder Anthony Miles says making a conscious effort to not be intimidated by Hawthorn’s galaxy of stars was the catalyst for his best on ground performance on Friday night.

Miles starred in the middle with 30 disposals to play a leading role in inspiring the Tigers to arguably its greatest win under coach Damien Hardwick.

The victory was achieved on the back of Miles’ work in the engine room alongside Brett Deledio and skipper Trent Cotchin.

Hardwick lauded Miles after the game, declaring he has the “heart of a lion.”

Miles said he put his breakout performance down to not allowing himself to be in awe of the likes of Luke Hodge, Sam Mitchell and Jordan Lewis.

“Coming up against those guys, I guess you are a little bit intimidated,” Miles told SEN radio.

“But last night I made a conscious effort (not to).

“I still had a massive amount of respect for them, but you’ve got to put that aside for 120 minutes and go head to head with them.”

The 23-year-old said his mindset was adopted by the entire team up against a Hawthorn side that had been in red-hot form.

“They are the best in the business and have been for such a long time,” Miles said.

“’Dimma’ (Hardwick) said when some sides play them they go into their shell.

“So that was one of his main messages this week — that we had to try and take it up to them.

“That was the focus for me and I think the whole playing group, to not be intimidated by such a great side”

The Tigers’ spirit was typified by Cotchin, who proved he was not afraid to physically stand up to the Hawks’ big guns by getting into a number of scuffles with Hodge.

“I think that has been a focus of ours recently,” Miles said.

“I reckon Cotch in the past month particularly has led the way in that area, as most good captains do.

“The troops are jumping on board with what he is doing and that physical nature is something we are starting to pride ourselves on.”

Hardwick said he is not getting carried away with the win, immediately turning his attention to Adelaide next Friday night.

“The way they went about the contest, they hunted the opposition,I thought was as good as I’d seen it,” he said..

“We are not putting a ceiling on it.

“The most important game is Adelaide next week. Any win away or any game away is incredibly tough. So, we are going to have our work cut out for us.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/anthony-miles-says-tigers-wouldnt-be-intimidated-by-big-name-hawks/story-fni5f9jb-1227466019035

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Re: Anthony Miles on SEN
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 11:03:30 PM »
Didnt used to stand up for cotch PM. (Pre-miles)
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus