Author Topic: Alex Rance press conference - Tues 25/08/15  (Read 706 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Alex Rance press conference - Tues 25/08/15
« on: August 25, 2015, 02:42:04 PM »
By Ronny Lerner
The Age
August 25, 2015

The Tigers' huge win on Saturday was not only their biggest against Collingwood in 39 years but also their 11th win from their past 14 games.

That impressive stretch of form has catapulted Richmond from 13th on the ladder to fifth and just a game outside the top four with two rounds remaining.

Rance said the team's "process" gave them confidence of beating any team in the finals and insisted there was no ceiling on what the Tigers could achieve this year.

"If we can get our process right, we've got a strong belief in our game plan and if we can implement it the right way on field then who knows what could happen," Rance said prior to training at Punt Road Oval on Tuesday.

The reigning All-Australian didn't discount the possibility of a team winning the premiership from outside the top four for the first time since the current top-eight system was introduced in 2000, adding: "Everyone is so close, North are playing some fantastic football, Adelaide are playing some really good football, it is going to be a really, really exciting finals series."

Despite Richmond's impressive run of recent form, Rance scoffed at suggestions that his team was purposely peaking at the right time for a finals tilt.

"I've never really got the concept of timing finals at the right time, I don't think teams ever fox at the start of a season or withhold players," Rance said.

"You just try and win as much as you can, you can't really say, 'I'm going to try and peak here, I'm going to try and peak there'."

Of more immediate concern for Richmond is a meeting with struggling Essendon at the MCG on Saturday night.

Rance cited lowly St Kilda's performance against finals aspirant Geelong last round as a timely reminder that the Tigers couldn't afford to take the Bombers lightly – especially considering Richmond can mathematically still miss out on the finals and have a top-eight showdown with North Melbourne in the final round.

"Essendon with a new coach, potentially a new game plan and things like that, they might have released the shackles so 100 per cent we can't take any game for granted ... you never know what could happen," Rance said.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tiger-alex-rance-believes-collingwood-fans-almost-crossed-line-with-verbal-abuse-20150825-gj6y7f.html

It is two months since Rance ended strong speculation about his playing future by signing a four-year deal.

There was even talk he could walk away from the game.

"It was never really about winning or losing or being successful because I always had great confidence this club was going in the right direction," he said.

"It was more of a personal decision for me as to what I valued and whether I could fit all the things I really value and love in at the same time.

"So yeah - I'm happy, I'm enjoying it."

Rance made last year's All-Australian team and said he is reaping the benefits of playing in a solid backline.

"I've found that I can adapt a lot quicker," he said.

"It doesn't take me a whole game or two or three weeks to correct a mistake that I might be making.

"It probably shows the strength of the group that I have around me as well, that can support and really identify the strengths and weaknesses of how we're playing.

"It also helps that we have a good, solid group together - it's not just one player who has to play out of his skin."

Rance is clearly a man who likes to be comfortable, turning up to his media conference in a pair of ugg boots.

"Tuesdays are comfy footwear day," he explained.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/08/25/rance-calls-pies-afl-fans-colourful

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Re: Alex Rance press conference - Tues 25/08/15
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 03:20:21 PM »
Rance is clearly a man who likes to be comfortable, turning up to his media conference in a pair of ugg boots.

"Tuesdays are comfy footwear day," he explained.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/08/25/rance-calls-pies-afl-fans-colourful

:bow
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond's Alex Rance discovers the joy of six (Age)
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 02:10:46 AM »
Richmond's Alex Rance discovers the joy of six

Ronny Lerner
The Age
August 26, 2015

The strength and cohesion of Richmond's back six has played a big part in Alex Rance's career-best form, according to the star defender.

Rance looks on track for back-to-back All-Australian jumpers this year after another stellar season in defence.

While the 25-year-old seems to grow in stature and confidence with each passing week as he frequently negates some of the game's best key forwards, Rance said none of that would be possible without the rock-solid support network he enjoys on the Tigers' last line.

"If you've got more people communicating, you can be confident in your starting positions and as we've seen team defence is pretty much the way to go now," Rance said.

"It's very rare that you're going to have someone, especially in the defensive half, who's going to tear a whole offensive unit apart, so you've got to be able to work together in cohesion and we've got a lot of games together now so we're definitely confident in our group."

With the likes of Nick Vlastuin and Troy Chaplin by his side, Rance's sky-high confidence has allowed him to iron out chinks in his game faster than ever before.

"I've found that I can adapt a lot quicker. If I make a mistake it doesn't take me a whole game or two or three weeks to correct a mistake that I might be making which probably shows the strength of the group that I have around me as well that can support and really identify the strengths and weaknesses of how we're playing," Rance said.

"We've got a really good core down there which tends to make everyone else look better."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/richmonds-alex-rance-discovers-the-joy-of-six-20150825-gj75up.html