Author Topic: Tigers should have Steve Johnson in their sights ... (Age)  (Read 52237 times)

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
Re: Tigers should have Steve Johnson in their sights ... (Age)
« Reply #225 on: October 06, 2015, 08:30:45 PM »
:chuck :nope :facepalm

WAT, please give it a rest. We get it that you don't want SJ at the club. Point made.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #226 on: October 06, 2015, 08:34:15 PM »
WAT I think you need to start the " I told you we shouldn't have drafted Stevie J" thread

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Re: Re: Tigers should have Steve Johnson in their sights ... (Age)
« Reply #227 on: October 06, 2015, 08:59:36 PM »

WAT, please give it a rest. We get it that you don't want SJ at the club. Point made.

i for one am enjoying the commentary
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
Re: Re: Re: Tigers should have Steve Johnson in their sights ... (Age)
« Reply #228 on: October 06, 2015, 09:02:12 PM »
All righty then.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Re: Re: Re: Tigers should have Steve Johnson in their sights ... (Age)
« Reply #229 on: October 06, 2015, 09:05:23 PM »
All righty then.

although its a stupid position to maintain as we are giving games to spuds like Newman, Grigg, Morris, Gordon

nonsensical

its all well and good not wanting a talented player for his age - but we are currently playing a number of similar aged, far less talented gimps, riddle me that WAT
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #230 on: October 06, 2015, 09:29:57 PM »
Snip! Discuss the topic without the insults, ppl!  >:(

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #231 on: October 06, 2015, 10:00:06 PM »
If playing finals is not the aim then dont get him.
If playing finals and winning one is the go then go get him. FFS  he is a delisted f/a and wont be keeping anyone out of the side.

Can anyone name just one sml/med fwd at our club  who has performed  better than sj in the role.  Can that fwd also go thru the middle and hurt the opposition.
People have to realise SJ is streets ahead of anything we have atm. One year or two years he improves the list and a deficient area of the list.
W eare hunting finals again next year arent we.
Claw, there is no doubt that SJ outperforms any sml/med forward I could name  at Richmond (Edwards & Deledio would probably be the fairest comparisons).  But the majority of our current sml/med forwards are just young draftees, to compare a 250 game triple premiership player to a 10 gamer in a sub vest isn't quite fair.  Edwards & Delidio aside, you are comparing a gun player's whole career to our recent draftees first 2 years, not a fair comparison there. 
Instead try comparing SJ's first 10 games to Lennon's & Lloyd's first 10.  I reckon Lennon would be close, even Lloyd's numbers would be close too, all things considered.   
On the 'apples to apples' basis, comparing any Geelong player from their golden period to any present young hopeful at Richmond doesn't prove much.  It certainly doesn't prove that a 32-33yo SJ could cut it at Richmond in '16 ...
I would consider SJ as a 1-2 year rookie with a view towards an assistant coaching role at Richmond, but not as a listed player.  Having a player of his indisputable class around the club & in our VFL side could only be a good thing.  We could always promote him to the firsts if need be ...       

It would be a valid gripe if i advocated we delist Lennon or Butler  for SJ. Lloyd is very ordinary and a 26yo  hes hardly a kid i would not hesitate to cut him for SJ if it came to that. I would rather two yrs of Johnson than 5yrs  of Lloyd and mediocrity. .

If i did a best 22 which included the need to play kids then Butler, Lennon  and Johnson would be in the fwd half. Hopefully Lennon and Johnson would be a part of midfield rotations.

As i said we are supposed to be a finals contender, we are  even supposed to be looking at top 4. So it is about now!!!!!  and right now Steve Johnson is a far better player than any sml/med forward we have on our list, and there is no competition when comparing the type,  he is that far in front of the rest.It is a no brainer if we want to take the next step and win a final then a bloke like Johnson is Ideal even if we only have him for a year or two.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #232 on: October 06, 2015, 10:04:48 PM »
old slow SJ > younger slower Lloyd
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #233 on: October 06, 2015, 10:06:02 PM »

I will keep saying it until we don't get him. You should be very worried if we do get him though. :snidegrin
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #234 on: October 06, 2015, 10:10:34 PM »
Wowser, the absolute lunacy of picking this guy up would almost force me not to pay up next year. Bloke is a known pisspot, wouldn't give a poo about the club. Is well past it, had a stinky season this year and not getting any younger.

Paul Hudson 2002 all over again. No thank you!

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #235 on: October 06, 2015, 10:14:38 PM »
Wowser, the absolute lunacy of picking this guy up would almost force me not to pay up next year. Bloke is a known peepot, wouldn't give a poo about the club. Is well past it, had a stinky season this year and not getting any younger.

Paul Hudson 2002 all over again. No thank you!

Summed up so well, I am nominating this post for post of the year.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 10:15:54 PM by one-eyed »
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #236 on: October 06, 2015, 10:40:24 PM »
the more i read this thread the more i want us to get him
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #237 on: October 07, 2015, 04:29:22 PM »
the more i read this thread the more i want us to get him
Oh Penny you are not only cute but funny too. Right swipe.....  :lol

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #238 on: October 07, 2015, 09:29:06 PM »
WAT I think you need to start the " I told you we shouldn't have drafted Stevie J" thread

:lol
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #239 on: October 13, 2015, 02:34:48 PM »
Q. Still any chance of the Tigers picking up Stevie J?

Max Laughton (@dshban) - I would think there's a chance

http://www.themercury.com.au/afl-trades-essendon-st-kilda-carlton-collingwood-headline-major-trade-action/story-fnj3twbb-1227566957748