Author Topic: Tigers should have Steve Johnson in their sights ... (Age)  (Read 54263 times)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Tigers should have Steve Johnson in their sights ... (Age)
« Reply #210 on: October 05, 2015, 04:52:11 PM »

And some do, I would rather have the some do as an option instead of the 32 year old list clogger.

There is a reason the Cats got rid of him, that's enough for me, If they thought he would be part of their development or next premiership they would have kept him. So we would be unprofessional to pick him up.

Yes some do, hence why I like a bit of a mix but most of the time it just doesn't eventuate. Just like hedging your bets to ensure you get some sort of outcome.

Why did the Cats get rid of him???? Are we that close to a flag??
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #211 on: October 05, 2015, 05:03:20 PM »
Closer than they are

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #212 on: October 05, 2015, 05:06:08 PM »
Closer than they are

Nooooooooo, not when they get Henderson, Dangerfield and Selwood.... we will be as far behind them as we always have been

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #213 on: October 05, 2015, 05:30:21 PM »

And some do, I would rather have the some do as an option instead of the 32 year old list clogger.

There is a reason the Cats got rid of him, that's enough for me, If they thought he would be part of their development or next premiership they would have kept him. So we would be unprofessional to pick him up.

Yes some do, hence why I like a bit of a mix but most of the time it just doesn't eventuate. Just like hedging your bets to ensure you get some sort of outcome.

Why did the Cats get rid of him???? Are we that close to a flag??
thats such a simplistic way of looking at it.

Why did gold coast get rid of Miles?
Why did Hawthorne let buddy go?
Why did gold coast get rid of Bennell?
Why did we get rid of morton?

Theres a myriad of reasons and it all comes down to where you are at as a club.

If we were to take johnston the best thing would be a rookie. you know what are getting and if you have a bad run injuries of injuries youd much prefer to have him waiting in the wings than the  150th best junior .

You keep bringing up Hawthorn as an example, yet only recently there was an article about how well they they had used top up short term players  (eg stewie dew) in recent times.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #214 on: October 06, 2015, 12:01:33 AM »
Closer than they are
are we??? you sure about that???.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #215 on: October 06, 2015, 12:11:32 AM »
Can anyone name just one sml/med fwd at our club  who has performed  better than sj in the role.  Can that fwd also go thru the middle and hurt the opposition.
People have to realise SJ is streets ahead of anything we have atm. One year or two years he improves the list and a deficient area of the list.
W eare hunting finals again next year arent we.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #216 on: October 06, 2015, 01:54:51 AM »
Closer than they are
are we??? you sure about that???.

Yep. I assume you disagree?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #217 on: October 06, 2015, 04:05:54 PM »
Are Richmond looking at Stevie J?

Sam Landsberger - Jay Clark has some Stevie J news shortly. Stay tuned!

http://www.themercury.com.au/jake-carlisle-meets-st-kilda-race-for-his-signature-narrows-to-two-clubs/story-fnj3twbb-1227557972449

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #218 on: October 06, 2015, 04:16:35 PM »
FFS you would have to be kidding me if he comes to the Tigers...what a joke, we can't land anyone of the big fish but we are going for this guy....no.....surely it wont happen.. :help

"Rucks:

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #219 on: October 06, 2015, 04:22:52 PM »
Steve Johnson says he’s ready to tough out pre-season if he can find a suitable club

Jay Clark
    Herald Sun
    October 06, 2015

STEVE Johnson says he still has the hunger to play on next season and would do the hard yards in summer training for a new club.

The Geelong premiership champion was not offered another contract from the Cats this year and has already spoken with a few clubs about saddling up again next season.

But only if it is the right for him and his new club, Johnson said today at TAB’s spring racing carnival launch.

Johnson said he was prepared to consider all opportunities, including clubs at the top and bottom of the ladder.

“I certainly do have the motivation,” Johnson said at the TAB launch.

“I mean, I’m not afraid of going through a tough pre-season, so that’s not a factor for me.

“As I said, I need to work out if a club is a good fit for me in a playing capacity. If I don’t see that is right then I will look to other opportunities.

“I have spoken to a couple of clubs, and I’m expecting to a couple more over the next week or two.

“Things will be a lot clearer once the water has gone under the bridge there.”

A few clubs have been linked to the three-time premiership goal kicker, including Richmond and Sydney.

Johnson, 32, said he would consider developing clubs and likely finalists.

“A lot of people are trying to give me advice that you should only play on if you are in a premiership window, and that is a factor that does appeal to me,” he said.

“But it is not the over riding thing that will make my decision.”

He said coaching was also something he would consider.

“I’m sure there are a couple of clubs that want to talk to me about something like that, but I haven’t really looked into years of contract in coaching and those types of things as of yet,” he said.

http://www.themercury.com.au/steve-johnson-says-hes-ready-to-tough-out-pre-season-if-he-can-find-a-suitable-club/story-fnj3twbb-1227558821892

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #220 on: October 06, 2015, 04:25:38 PM »
 :chuck :nope :facepalm

"Rucks:

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #221 on: October 06, 2015, 05:15:47 PM »
Can anyone name just one sml/med fwd at our club  who has performed  better than sj in the role.  Can that fwd also go thru the middle and hurt the opposition.
People have to realise SJ is streets ahead of anything we have atm. One year or two years he improves the list and a deficient area of the list.
W eare hunting finals again next year arent we.
Claw, there is no doubt that SJ outperforms any sml/med forward I could name  at Richmond (Edwards & Deledio would probably be the fairest comparisons).  But the majority of our current sml/med forwards are just young draftees, to compare a 250 game triple premiership player to a 10 gamer in a sub vest isn't quite fair.  Edwards & Delidio aside, you are comparing a gun player's whole career to our recent draftees first 2 years, not a fair comparison there. 
Instead try comparing SJ's first 10 games to Lennon's & Lloyd's first 10.  I reckon Lennon would be close, even Lloyd's numbers would be close too, all things considered.   
On the 'apples to apples' basis, comparing any Geelong player from their golden period to any present young hopeful at Richmond doesn't prove much.  It certainly doesn't prove that a 32-33yo SJ could cut it at Richmond in '16 ...
I would consider SJ as a 1-2 year rookie with a view towards an assistant coaching role at Richmond, but not as a listed player.  Having a player of his indisputable class around the club & in our VFL side could only be a good thing.  We could always promote him to the firsts if need be ...       
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #222 on: October 06, 2015, 06:52:47 PM »
Mark Stevens on Ch 7 news saying "insiders" have Sydney as Stevie J's potential suitor.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #223 on: October 06, 2015, 07:28:52 PM »
With the weight SJ has put on and the way he is always out of breath this year does he qualify as a big fish?

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #224 on: October 06, 2015, 08:17:25 PM »
With the weight SJ has put on and the way he is always out of breath this year does he qualify as a big fish?

Yes brother, a puffer or blow fish... ;)

"Rucks: