Author Topic: Ruck and roll, Tigers need to be brave (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1941 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ruck and roll, Tigers need to be brave (Herald-Sun)
« on: September 15, 2015, 04:57:18 PM »
Ruck and roll, Tigers need to be brave

JAI BEDNALL
Herald-Sun
September 15, 2015

WHILE the Tigers players were drowning in pots of beers at a local pub on Monday, Richmond’s three most important football people were already looking to next year.

Coach Damien Hardwick, football boss Dan Richardson and list manager Blair Hartley, by virtue of Sunday’s loss to North Melbourne, now have a sense of urgency in identifying the problem areas and, more importantly, filling those problem areas.

A ruckman to help valiant soldier Ivan Maric is likely to top Richmond’s off-season shopping list.

Maric, who will be 30 in January, failed to combat rampant North Melbourne big man Todd Goldstein in Sunday’s elimination final loss.

He is lion-hearted Maric, but has struggled recently against taller and better ruckmen.

Hardwick’s gamble on underdone Ben Griffiths as an aid to Maric failed to come off, laying bare the Tigers brittle big man stocks.

Shaun Hampson has managed just 15 games in two underwhelming seasons at Richmond, including only four this year and was overlooked for Sunday’s game.

Those two are not the answer to the ruck issue.

The Tigers must entertain Matty Kreuzer as a ruck consideration.

Collingwood was hot and now cold and who knows what they feel now for Kreuzer, but there’s no question he is gettable.

If not Kreuzer, then Zac Smith. If not Smith or Kreuzer, then all-in on Brisbane’s Stef Martin.

That would be a coup. Martin shared the B & F at the Lions at the weekend and said he was still not yet 100 per cent committed to staying.

Hardwick, Richardson and Hartley should be at Tullamarine today and on a flight to Brisbane, for Martin would be ripper recruit.

And the Tigers should not stop with a ruckman.

Although Adam Treloar nominated Collingwood as his preferred destination, it’s understood it was a close call with the Tigers.

If the Tigers want Treloar, who is both an inside and outside midfielder, then they come up with a better trade offer than Collingwood. To do so, they have to be brave.

They need Steve Johnson or Harley Bennell, both mid-sized goalkickers, to bolster the forward line.

They are in for Bennell, the jury’s out on Johnson, who will get offers from several clubs.

They need the class of Chris Yarran to play half-back, wing, or half-forward.

The Tigers won’t and can’t land all of these players, but they must get two of them. Yarran and a ruckman would be nice. Yarran, a ruckman and the miracle play to get Treloar away from Collingwood would a red-letter trading period for the Tigers.

Make no mistake, the Giants will deal with the Tigers if the Pies don’t come to the party with a suitable trade. And a first-rounder and Witts won’t be a suitable trade.

While Hardwick and Co think ahead, Jack Riewoldt was still living in the past on Monday.

He said a summer of regret would fuel the players and he had no doubt Hardwick was the coach to lead them.

“The players are hurting as much as anybody at the moment,” Riewoldt said.

“We’re really disappointed in ourselves and we know that we’ve let ourselves down, we’ve let the club down and we’ve let the members down but I can promise that the players will come back fitter than ever and ready to go again.

“We’ve got a super inner belief in this group ... I really believe that this football club is going in the right direction.

“Success comes to those who keep trying.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/damien-hardwick-had-a-right-to-be-angry-after-richmonds-loss-to-north-melbourne-says-jack-riewoldt/story-fnp04d70-1227526863587

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Re: Ruck and roll, Tigers need to be brave (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 05:28:50 PM »
Throw Ellis or conca into the trelor deal
Caracella and Balmey.

Gigantor

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 05:34:15 PM »
Ellis had a bad game but he has a huge future at tigerland

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 05:40:06 PM »
He'll never be anything more than a bit better than Grigg.
Trade him while he has a perceived trade value.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 05:53:31 PM »
Anyone interested in Ayce Cordy ? Delisted today. Could get for nothing and a good depth ruckman

dwaino

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 05:58:58 PM »
No thanks.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 06:00:25 PM »
Anyone interested in Ayce Cordy ? Delisted today. Could get for nothing and a good depth ruckman

Would be good to eat the left over bread rolls. Pass
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 06:03:46 PM »
Makes Hampson look like Simon Madden……. :whistle
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline El Guapo

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 06:59:01 PM »

^^^^ Is this guy stuffing serious??? :help :help
Would you say I have a plethora of piñatas...

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 07:26:52 PM »
I reckon Cordy has more upside than hampson and is younger so a better option for mine.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 07:31:37 PM »
I reckon Cordy has more upside than hampson and is younger so a better option for mine.
So the bulldogs who are very short on ruck stocks delist this guy and you think he is good? Well you may have a keener eye than me but I agree with the bulldogs in that he hasn't shown enough improvement to warrant a spot on a list.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 08:00:59 PM »
Didnt say he was good mate.. said he has more upside than Hampson and is younger and may improve.. also we can get him for nothing. Atleast VFL list him I reckon. anyone disagree with that ?

No More

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 08:21:46 PM »
I cant take seriously any article which says that getting Stefan martin would be a coup lol. Seriously lol.

I expect we will end up getting more junk this season.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 08:42:30 PM »
Makes Hampson look like Simon Madden……. :whistle

Yep

That Ayce Cordy has managed 5+ seasons on a list is a miracle. Terrible player
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 09:50:46 PM »
Considering the,improvement we got from Maric, anything is possible, ideal rookie list proposition  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled