Author Topic: Why Richmond is a Shakespearean tragedy .... (Adel. Advertiser)  (Read 4859 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Why Richmond is a Shakespearean tragedy .... (Adel. Advertiser)
« on: September 19, 2015, 04:46:12 AM »
Why Richmond is a Shakespearean tragedy

Graham Cornes
Adelaide Advertiser
September 19, 2015

WILLIAM Shakespeare could not have scripted the tragedy that is the Richmond Football Club.

At various stages of the last three AFL seasons, the Tigers have shared premiership favouritism; have beaten the best of the other teams and finished respectably inside the top eight.

Its legion of long-suffering fans mobilise for September. However, they don’t dare to be optimistic.

They know their hearts are going to be broken.

No AFL club in the 21st century has promised so much but delivered so little.

So it was last week at the MCG when North Melbourne outplayed and outsmarted the hapless Tigers.

If they weren’t such an arrogant bunch you would feel sorry for them, however they take “unsociable football” to a Hawthorn-like level.

Unfortunately they don’t have the talent or the underlying discipline of Hawthorn and end up as pathetic parodies of tough, aggressive footballers. Instead of respect they get derision.

Yet, I feel for their coach, Damien Hardwick.

By any measure except one, he has done a fantastic job.

However when you continually fail in the first week of the finals, the football world judges you too harshly.

Mark Williams suffered in a similar fashion when Port Adelaide could not convert its minor round dominance to finals success.

Now a mentor to Hardwick at Richmond, he knows how to deal with this pressure.

When your major sponsor turns on you and calls for your head like Alan Scott did, you find untapped reserves of determination and resolve.

Hardwick will need that strength as he and his team face another summer of ridicule and criticism.

For all their self-inflicted mediocrity, however, the Tigers were a victim of one of the most unsporting acts in AFL history. In round 23, the week before the finals started, by a freak of scheduling, North Melbourne again had to play Richmond.

The Kangaroo scandalously tried to manipulate the positions of the final eight by resting 11 players from its best team. As it transpired the result of that North Melbourne/Richmond game was immaterial because the Crows could not beat Geelong and the ladder positions did not change.
Tigers supporters reacts as the North Melbourne loss.

However, there was another unexpected benefit for the Kangaroos in that its team was rested and refreshed for the first week of the finals, whereas Richmond, which had played the final minor round game on its merits could not enjoy a similar advantage.

Kangaroos coach, Brad Scott might feign indignation that he exploited a loop-hole but the AFL must immediately act and punish clubs for such blatant tanking.

Of course that will be too late help Richmond whose premiership window which was barely ajar anyway, is closing.

It still has a potent mid-field — Dustin Martin is the equal of Nat Fyfe and Patrick Dangerfield — and the captain, Trent Cotchin, despite last week’s disappointment, is also one of the best.

It has one of the great power forwards in Jack Riewoldt, and key defender, Alex Rance was first pick as an all-Australian this year.

The rest are foot-soldiers with an occasional burst of brilliance thrown in. They are the most enigmatic team in the competition.

No one epitomised that more last week than tall forward Ty Vickery.

Vickery is provocative at the best of times with a swagger and a confidence that is not always sustained by his performances.

He turned the game and his opponent on its head with a brilliant individual goal in the first quarter, soloed brilliantly to goal just before three quarter time, but the inevitable disaster befell him in the last quarter.

With the game in the balance he selfishly tried to do it all himself when a simple handball over the top would have resulted in a certain goal.

His form had been good leading into the finals but that one act defined him — a metaphor of disappointment in a black and gold jumper.

The football wheel eventually turns — even Shakespeare once wrote; “there are many events in the womb of time which will be delivered.”

Barring a football miracle however, one of those events will not be a Richmond premiership.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/graham-cornes-richmond-is-a-shakespearean-tragedy/story-fnia3m9p-1227533605267

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Why Richmond is a Shakespearean tragedy .... (Adel. Advertiser)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 05:20:04 AM »
Hey didnt know this flog still existed. Bueller, Cornes, Anyone?

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 06:27:40 AM »
Hey Cornes, did you happen to watch the game last night and see the score??? I would think that is more of a tradgety, also mate, without Dangerfield the Crows are nothing and they will slide down that ladder next year pal!!!! :snidegrin
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 08:35:40 AM by WA Tiger »
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 08:26:54 AM »
Lol at the indignation.  What part did he get wrong?

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 09:12:56 AM »
I love the herald sun footnote.

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 09:27:36 AM »

I doubt a South Australian bogan idiot like Cornes would even have read Shakespeare. He might have been forced to study him in school, but his teacher would have eventually given up trying to explain it to him. Yes, Richmond is like a Shakespearean tragedy, but the parallels with the bard are more to do with our plummet from power into failure thirty odd years ago.
Besides, what kind of soulless individual laughs at a tragedy anyway? I bet Cornes is the kind of bloke who turns on the news and has a chuckle at the road toll. And where does he get off calling us arrogant? Richmond may be a lot of things, but we aint arrogant. I thoroughly enjoyed the sight of a bunch of loud-mouthed Crow eaters choking on humble pie at the G last night. Now slither back over the border and shut the eff up the lot of you inbred idiots. 

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 09:30:40 AM »
Agree^^ if the terms he used to describe us were left out it would be good read.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 09:31:20 AM »
The part where he says that our premiership window is closing.
Only Newman was over 30 in that team......
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 10:00:09 AM »
Fair article I thought

No More

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 10:34:41 AM »
Yes I think its a fair article too. We can be disappointed but the players we have basically choke when it matters most. You cant win anything if you choke all the time.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 11:22:40 AM »
LMAO at the richmond trait where we can bag the the club merclessly, but as soon as an outsider has something to say we get all indignant.

For the most part of that article Cornes is bang on the money.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 11:25:44 AM »
Thought he got it right and BTW as a footnote Cornes was actually born and bred in Victoria.

Lived Bayside in Edithvale/ Aspendale in his early years.

Went to Ivanhoe Grammar and was zoned to Geelong.

He never went and after his parents separated he moved to SA.

A South Australian bogan now probably but not an uneducated one.

He was on open Mike last year or in 2013.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 11:30:27 AM »

And where does he get off calling us arrogant? Richmond may be a lot of things, but we aint arrogant. 

Our arrogance towards middle/lower level clubs has been one of the main contributing factors in our inability to win more games each season.  We approach every game by treating or respecting each club according to their position on the ladder and that's why we can beat top sides but get beaten by so many of the crap sides.  And it also happens in every game when we get a few goals up - we get arrogant about our capabilities and we stop pushing/stop trying.  And it has happened in every final we have played recently - an arrogance about our birthright to be a power side again but forgetting that we actually have to bring an A-game to finals that transcends any home and away game.  We are arrogant way beyond our right to be so and all to our own detriment.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 11:40:02 AM »
stuff off cornes, if I wanted a laugh, id read the Fred Basset comic, stick to selling cars :lol
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 11:46:30 AM »

And where does he get off calling us arrogant? Richmond may be a lot of things, but we aint arrogant. 

Our arrogance towards middle/lower level clubs has been one of the main contributing factors in our inability to win more games each season.  We approach every game by treating or respecting each club according to their position on the ladder and that's why we can beat top sides but get beaten by so many of the crap sides.  And it also happens in every game when we get a few goals up - we get arrogant about our capabilities and we stop pushing/stop trying.  And it has happened in every final we have played recently - an arrogance about our birthright to be a power side again but forgetting that we actually have to bring an A-game to finals that transcends any home and away game.  We are arrogant way beyond our right to be so and all to our own detriment.

yeah arrogant is correct. just read the threads leading up to last weeks game.

also the veruca salt type carry on when things dont go our way - the way many seem to think not only are we are owed success, but it should be instant, is also a form of arrogance.

the way we belittle more successful clubs because we have more supporters, money or whatever, while they constantly beat us and/or win premierships, is also a form arrogance.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI