Author Topic: Deledio should be signed Now!  (Read 2710 times)

PuntRdRoar

Deledio should be signed Now!
« on: October 07, 2005, 05:22:28 PM »
As I think we all know, Brett Deledio comes out of contract at the end of next season (end 2006), with the sad state of affairs at Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and to a lesser extent Hawthorn who have embarked on a massive youth campaign and the fact they they along with us (after our draw) will probably sit towards the bottom of the AFL table- we need and we must ensure that the Deledio situation doesnt get past this january or february.

This must be the absolute top assignment for Greg Miller and Terry Wallace. A 5 year deal  2007-2011) should be put to the young man or his management which equates to about $300,000 per year or $ 1.5 million over the 5. I think thats a fair deal for a young man at this time. Akermanis atBrisbane as a Brownlow Medallist and at his scintillating best was on $280,000.

That signature should then quickly be followed up with 3 year deals for Tambling, Meyer and 2 year deals for Pattison and Polo. This group of 5 must be central to the hopes of our club, they will form hopefully a core part of our next premiership side. Lets not blow it by being lazy.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Deledio should be signed Now!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 05:25:38 PM »
Um.. no!

letsgetiton!

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 05:28:19 PM »
i think miller and wallace are aware of whats ahead and this kids are going no where believe me, the only one that worries me is bling, u just dont know if its true or not if he is unhappy at punt rd

letsgetiton!

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 05:29:34 PM »
2-3 yr contracts when the time is right is all that needed unless u can say sign up a good player for 5 yrs on minimal pay

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 05:33:43 PM »
In the 4th of the 5th year believe me $300,000 will be cheap for Deledio. Razor- why are you against this, i believe this would bring certainty and stability- watch the ferals go nuts if Deledio hasnt been signed by early september next year. Thats the type of stuff RFC needs to avoid.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 07:01:45 PM »
Just make sure he's signed up well before the end of next season. And as for length of his new contract it should be no more than 3 years. Sure we gave Gas and Simmonds 5 year deals :o but we didn't with Richo, Cogs, Tuck or Bowden who were re-signed with 3 year contracts. Browny was given 4 IIRC. 5 years is way too long IMHO.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 08:22:46 PM »
In the 4th of the 5th year believe me $300,000 will be cheap for Deledio. Razor- why are you against this, i believe this would bring certainty and stability- watch the ferals go nuts if Deledio hasnt been signed by early september next year. Thats the type of stuff RFC needs to avoid.
Well i won't even mention how unrealistic your original post is, but personally i am not a fan of contract extensions.

IMO players should be payed taking into consideration their full season games and stats, and any injuries they might suffer.

While i wouldn't start letting off shotgun rounds if Lids got an extension, i'd be wary of giving then to any of the other kids, not to mention that most managers would only let their "gun" kids sign extensions which were very generous.

IMO Meyer is going home after next season anyway so it won't matter.

And what is the point of extending players which have shown nothing yet?

Sure Tambo showed a few glimpses, not nothing concrete.

Meyer, Patto and Polo done nothing.

Not saying they won't be good, but just going on facts.

It's not like 19-20yo kids go out with the intention of screwing the club over after their initial rookie contracts by wanting to "go home" or go to another club, they let them know in advance, if the club doesn't already have a suspicion already.

Lids, Patto and Polo are Vic kids, no reason to leave.

Unless Tambo pulls a Motlop, we'll be fine with him, if he does, i'd gladly take Chaplin + high picks off Port for him.

Meyere is your "go home" worry, and IMO that is exactly what he is going to do, so hopefully the club is prepared for that possibility.

For the record, Cooney got a 3 year extension and Ray 2 years at the end of last season from the Bulldogs (It was around the new year IIRC).

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 05:05:23 AM »
Meyer is your "go home" worry, and IMO that is exactly what he is going to do, so hopefully the club is prepared for that possibility.

Some people on the old tigerfury forum were saying the same thing about Cogs the day he was drafted because his face wasn't beaming when his name was read out.

Ottens, Fiora and Holland are all ex-South Aussies but even when they were traded away they remained in Victoria. The only RFC player to head back "home" that I can think of in recent times is Torney but he never made any noises to go back home before finding out we wanted to trade him as part of the deal to get Sugar. The go home factor is a rare event given how many kids get moved interstate in every draft.

Let's see how Meyer goes next year after a full pre-season under his belt. He obviously oozes talent with the footy but just needs to get into the gym.

Moi

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2005, 09:47:04 AM »
Some people on the old tigerfury forum were saying the same thing about Cogs the day he was drafted because his face wasn't beaming when his name was read out.

Will you stop bringing that up  :rollin

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2005, 01:41:15 PM »
MT - Its not simply because his from SA, apparently he is a very introverted person and keeps to himself a bit, which does sound like he might be a bit homesick!

I remember on draft day he looked like he wanted to jump off a bridge, appeared shattered he was going to Richmond.

I might end up being wrong, but i've got a feeling about this!

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2005, 02:13:17 PM »
Signing up Deledio would be one of the top priorities at Richmond next year

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2005, 06:53:43 PM »
MT - Its not simply because his from SA, apparently he is a very introverted person and keeps to himself a bit, which does sound like he might be a bit homesick!

I remember on draft day he looked like he wanted to jump off a bridge, appeared shattered he was going to Richmond.

I might end up being wrong, but i've got a feeling about this!

Fair enough Razor.

Heading interstate to the reigning wooden spooner wouldn't be most people's first choice and reigning premier Port Adelaide had their pick just before ours so if he wasn't doing cartwheels I wouldn't blame him. However the on-field direction of both clubs a year later is no longer poles apart. It could have been worse Danny could ended up at Carlton ;D.

If he is an introverted person then more likely he wouldn't have showed that much emotion. I personally didn't think he looked shattered on draft day. The first year interstate would be tough for any 17-18 year old but now Danny knows what to expect. IIRC Cogs also found his first year a bit tough but eventually the chance to play senior footy and play a major role in the midfield turned things around pretty quickly. Hopefully the same will happen with Meyer next year. He's a class act with the footy albeit light-on physically. Nothing a proper preseason or two can't fix.

Will you stop bringing that up  :rollin

:lol

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2005, 09:28:29 PM »
the only one that worries me is bling, u just dont know if its true or not if he is unhappy at punt rd

Don't worry about Tambling X, he is very very happy at Tigerland, very happy living in Melbourne and is certainly not homesick :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2005, 09:30:09 PM »
the only one that worries me is bling, u just dont know if its true or not if he is unhappy at punt rd

Don't worry about Tambling X, he is very very happy at Tigerland, very happy living in Melbourne and is certainly not homesick :thumbsup
So the issues with the girlfriend are all sorted out then im assuming?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2005, 09:31:42 PM »
So the issues with the girlfriend are all sorted out then im assuming?

Issues with the girlfriend? That's very funny
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)