Author Topic: 2007 is Tigers' time: Miller  (Read 2266 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
2007 is Tigers' time: Miller
« on: October 14, 2005, 01:14:15 PM »
2007 is Tigers' time: Miller
12:17:11 PM Fri 14 October, 2005
Paul Gough
Exclusive to afl.com.au

Richmond football director Greg Miller believes the Tigers are just another year away from being in a position to challenge for a premiership in what would represent a stunning turnaround for the club in the space of just 12 months.

This time last year the Tigers had just ended the season with 14 successive losses and the wooden spoon and were heading for a $2.5 million loss with president Clinton Casey and the board facing a fight to hang onto control of the club from a rival ticket led by former board members Charles Macek and Brendan Schwab.

However, Casey pulled a masterstroke by convincing Miller, the most popular figure at Tigerland, to join his ticket and, as a result, the board was easily re-elected with Miller polling the most votes of any of the candidates.

Now, nearly 12 months on, Miller does not regret his decision and says he has easily been able to combine his role as board member as well as director of football.

Miller, who threatened to walk away from the club if the Casey ticket was not re-elected last year, said the club now finally had the off-field stability needed to be successful as well as the right coaching staff - led by senior coach Terry Wallace.

"I certainly don't regret the decision, it was the right decision and I am pleased with the direction the club is going," Miller told Sportal in an exclusive interview.

The Tigers not only improved from four wins to ten wins in Wallace's first year in charge, but the club's off-field situation has improved dramatically from a $2.5 million loss last year to a position where the club will almost break even in 2005.

"That is a fantastic turnaround and it's been a great effort by all," Miller said before paying special tribute to the Tigers' CEO, Steven Wright.

"We are already building on it for next year and the interest in our brand has been fantastic and Steve Wright and his team have executed the selling of that brand with real class."

Miller said the Tigers' now had the off-field stability needed to again become a successful club.

"I can’t stress enough that stability from the board, stability from within your key administrators, stability within your playing ranks, if you can keep that together for five or six years you have got a chance for success," he said.

The Tigers list has also improved dramatically as shown by the fact this year the club will make just six changes - including the retirements of Wayne Campbell and Mark Graham - a far cry from the mass changes of recent seasons.

Miller said all that was needed now was for the Tigers' host of talented young players to mature and then the club, which has made the finals just twice in the past 23 years after having won five premierships between 1967-80, would again be ready to be a force in the competition.

"The confidence of the young men at our footy club has grown, and with 40-50 games under their belt I think by 2007 we are going to be in a strong position to challenge," he said.

Miller said the appointment of Terry Wallace, who has just completed the first year of his five year deal as coach, was "all and more than what I expected."

"He has put his arm around all sections of the club and he shows great energy to be able to do that," Miller said of Wallace.

"It's been a pleasure working with him and seeing what he has been able to achieve in a short period of time."

After capturing 2005 NAB Rising Star winner Brett Deledio in last year's national draft, Miller is confident the Tigers can unearth another future star with their first pick at selection eight in this year's draft, confirming the Tigers would have just three picks this year with their other selections coming at picks 24 and 40.

The club traded its fourth round pick (number 56) to the Bulldogs for Patrick Bowden while instead of using pick 72 in the national draft, the club will save it for the pre-season draft where it has pick five and is hoping to snare either one of West Coast duo Travis Gaspar or Kasey Green or Essendon's Ben Haynes, who played five games with the Tigers in 2000-01.

"We believe that at choice eight in the (national) draft this year we will get a matchwinner and we think the depth of the real quality players (in this year's draft) goes beyond eight and hence our desire to maintain it," Miller said.

Miller said the reason the Tigers would have so few picks this year compared to last year was the club now had the foundations of a good playing list.

"We just need to consolidate our list a bit and give these young kids a bit more time to mature."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=234315
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: 2007 is Tigers' time: Miller
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 02:33:03 PM »
Those sorts of statements can come back to haunt a person!

I think we'll be in the finals in 2007, but in premiership contention?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 05:03:40 PM »
I still wish we as a Club would zip the gob shut when it comes to making predictions. Let's just let our actions on the field doing the talking.

The statement's obviously been timed to coincide with the membership launch but IMO our membership numbers won't jump above 30,000 until supporters who have seen many false dawns only to be left heartbroken see real winning progress and probably even back to back finals campaigns.

As for flag material :o - the balance of our list isn't right yet and we lack enough younger KPPs coming through. Browny's recovery is going better than expected but we don't know how he'll go when he returns. Richo, Gas and Kellaway will be in their early 30s by 2007. As we saw with Cambo - a few soft tissue injuries and they'd struggle to get anywhere near their peak again. Plus the likes of Tambling, Meyer, Patto and Polo won't reach that 50 game mark til 2008 and that's if they play every game from now on. I'm not trying to be all gloom and doom; just realistic. A week is a long time in footy let alone 2 years.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 04:38:14 PM »
I think Miller might want to add on a couple to years to his prediction from this time last year  ;).

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 04:43:29 PM »
I think Miller might want to add on a couple to years to his prediction from this time last year  ;).

I don't know.... with our big bodied midfielder Knob's charging onto a Simmonds tap and spearing a 70 metre pass onto Sarges chest, I think we're in for a golden run.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 09:53:47 PM »
I reckon Tiges 07 will be very similar to the doggies this year

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
2008-09 is Tigers' time: Miller
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 04:26:56 AM »

Miller's now saying 2008-09 in today's Herald-Sun...

Richmond director of football Greg Miller said either St Kilda, Western Bulldogs, Geelong or Melbourne could win the 2007 flag, while his own club should enter a period of sustained success from 2008-09.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,20443880%255E19742,00.html

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 01:17:47 PM »

I think you maybe right bluey and if that's the case I'll take it :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 02:47:25 PM »
I think we are 2 years away from being what the doggies are now...

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 03:06:28 PM »

Can't see that happening, the dogs are probably two years ahead of where we are right now. 2009 and we should be dead certs of making the eight barring injury.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 03:40:54 PM »
I reckon we are quite a way off. Key positions prospects are still pretty raw. Simmo will hold down the ruck long term, Richo will camp in the goal square, Sarge will take a key position, but we need to find a key defender or two at the very minimum. Optimistically we could be top 4 in 2009.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 04:58:46 PM »
Agree with Jake and Bully. It'll take Terry until the end of his 5-year tenure just to get our list right. So 2009 for me too. 2007 might be a step back to go forward year  such as playing the kids like JON down back all year to accelerate their learning curve. 2008 will be the year our 2004 draftees will reach 50 games. By 2009 most of the youngsters will be hitting their prime barring injuries.   

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 03:29:40 PM »
Bump.

Seems OERites are better judges of our list than those at or formerly at the Club  ;).

Ramps

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 04:18:49 PM »
I think we are 2 years away from being what the doggies are now...

Doggies finished 8th in 2006, we have finished 9th - 2 years down the track. I think the bulldogs are a 5 to 8 club at the moment we're a 7 to 10 club, the bulldogs I think will start to slip and we may continue to improve, Id be very disappointed if we werent infront of the dogs at the very latest- 18 months from now.

richmondrules

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 06:57:16 PM »
Those sorts of statements can come back to haunt a person!

I think we'll be in the finals in 2007, but in premiership contention?

LOL. ROFL. LMAO.

The first sentence is prophetic. The second? Well how does 16th grab ya! In hind site there was no way our list was good enough for finals.