Author Topic: Daniel Rioli [merged]  (Read 232072 times)

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Daniel Rioli [merged]
« Reply #855 on: September 20, 2020, 11:25:58 AM »
Come finals his been a big player for us lifts big-time.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #856 on: September 20, 2020, 01:08:58 PM »
He is lucky he was good in the second half because his first half was very average.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #857 on: October 02, 2020, 05:09:17 AM »
Magic in Darwin catalyst for Daniel Rioli’s form revival

Richmond’s Daniel Rioli reckons the Dreamtime game in Darwin was a dream come true ... ‘It felt like was going back to play local footy for St Marys.’

Courtney Walsh
The Australian
October 2, 2020

Their finals campaign is yet to begin but Daniel Rioli already feels he has played in a big one this year.

The dual-premiership Tigers star, whose team will tackle the Lions at the Gabba in the second qualifying final on Friday night, is still buzzing from his trip to the top end for a game last month.

The peculiarities of the COVID-19 season saw the Dreamtime clash between Richmond and Essendon relocated from the MCG to Darwin in what proved a true highlight.

The Riolis are royalty in Darwin and on the Tiwi Islands but given his ties to Richmond, the 23-year-old never thought the opportunity to play at home would arise. It felt like a grand final to him. Now he wants another.

“Obviously the grand final is going to be in Brisbane this year, but I reckon it was as close to that, for me,” he told The Australian.

“I am still pinching myself. It brought back a lot of memories. I remember getting into the team bus and heading to the ground and it felt like I was going back to play local footy for St Marys.

“I walked into the changerooms and got a bit emotional — almost broke down — but it just shows how much the TIO (Stadium) and St Marys Football Club mean to me and to my family. It is something I will cherish for the rest of my life.

“It was just surreal having Dustin Martin (and) the boys I looked up to as a kid like Trent Cotchin, having those boys coming to play in Darwin in front of my friends and family, it was something special. I have ticked that box off now.”

Although only a regular season match, a correlation can be drawn between the Dreamtime game and the finals history of Rioli as Richmond prepares for another premiership push.

Rioli struggled for his best form earlier this season and was twice dropped from the Richmond side.

But on a stage that meant so much to him, he delivered a beauty, zipping from one end of the Marrara ground to the other, booting a goal while thriving in the conditions.

Senior teammate Shane Edwards, who accompanied Rioli and several other Tigers to the Tiwi Islands in the mid-season break of 2017, wasn’t surprised.

Rioli had often told him of his dreams about playing a match at home and declared that if the opportunity arose, he would excel.

“When we visited Tiwi Islands — Daniel invited a group of us up there in the mid-year break and we went and won the premiership that year, which was a good omen — he was always telling stories about, ‘Oh, I played here or dominated there, or dominated this’ and was saying, ‘Imagine if we actually played an AFL game here, I would dominate’,” Edwards said.

“And he was actually really, really good in that game. Hopefully we play more Dreamtime games up there, because that was an unbelievable experience. I know you probably don’t get the ticket sales that the MCG gets, but the cultural experience more than makes up for it.”

A glance at Rioli’s finals record demonstrates why he was able to handle the pressure of a moment that meant so much to him.

In last year’s finals series he kicked three goals. In 2018 he managed three in a qualifying final win over Hawthorn. In 2017 he kicked four in a preliminary final against the Giants.

Excelling on the biggest stages in football is something that runs in his blood, Rioli said.

“It is a weird thing to have, that you save your best for the finals. But Cyril, Willie, Dean, those players, all my uncles, have all performed on the big stage when it does count,” he said.

“We will see on the weekend how we go, but hopefully I can keep that going. It is nice to show how good you are.

“You would like to have a good year in general, consistently, but to be able to perform in finals games is pretty special.

“Hopefully we can continue that run and I get to make my family proud and obviously play my role for the team as well.”

The role played by Rioli for Richmond was severely underrated, Edwards said.

He is not a prolific ball winner but his gut-running away from the play, beyond what the television broadcasts, is a critical cog in the Richmond defensive machine.

“His game is built on pressure and defensive intensity and that is what finals is all about, so the way he plays is perfect for it. He doesn’t have to change too much when the finals comes around,” Edwards said. “Daniel is one of those players who, throughout the year, he doesn’t get the most possessions or goals, but he is enormous for the way we play. He opens up a lot of space for everyone.

“That is something you can’t teach, and a lot of people don’t know it, but it is about how disciplined he is to performing his role.

“When they see teams not being able to switch the ball, there is a pretty big reason. That is because of guys like Daniel Rioli and Kamdyn McIntosh, who are not letting it out there.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/afl-finals-magic-in-darwin-catalyst-for-daniel-riolis-form-revival/news-story/1dba4e3465c1777ad200ba94db59b73f

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #858 on: October 03, 2020, 03:40:45 AM »
Daniel Rioli

Did what he could from what was mostly limited opportunity, booting two goals from six touches.

Rating: 7

Source: Foxsports

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #859 on: October 03, 2020, 10:16:16 AM »
Daniel Rioli

Did what he could from what was mostly limited opportunity, booting two goals from six touches.

Rating: 7

:huh3
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #860 on: October 03, 2020, 10:18:07 AM »
He stood up for mine.

Well done Daniel.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #861 on: October 03, 2020, 10:21:23 AM »
He stood up for mine.

Well done Daniel.

I didn't notice him at all in the first half Willy, that's why I a, scratching my head over a 7

Thought his 2nd half was good but the 1st half was very poor

But having said that some of these ratings by this Fox journo are strange  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #862 on: October 03, 2020, 12:56:41 PM »
The forward 50 entries were woeful but the small forwards had no Chance as the ball never went to ground. Harris Andrews fisted everything away. I think Rioli did well to kick 2 goals when no one in the side could score .

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #863 on: October 03, 2020, 01:14:15 PM »
Rioli, Vlaustin and Bolton were the only guys that stood up in the 2nd half.  The rest were woeful

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #864 on: October 03, 2020, 10:37:34 PM »
Rioli should watch Liam Ryan’s game vs pies. West Coke cheats didn’t win but Ryan showed how to stay involved for four quarters flying punching and chasing everyone and everything.

He was involved the whole game and looked like he was everywhere.

A good example of how to play as a small forward.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #865 on: October 04, 2020, 12:59:48 PM »
Yes he should try and take speccys every five minutes so people notice him more.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #866 on: October 04, 2020, 02:37:19 PM »
Yes he should try and take speccys every five minutes so people notice him more.... :shh
Yes. Exactly that.  :clapping
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #867 on: October 10, 2020, 05:09:10 AM »
Daniel Rioli

Worked into the game after a slow first quarter, scoring a ‘Joe the Goose’ goal in the second term, via a Jack Riewoldt assist.

Rating: 4

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #868 on: October 16, 2020, 11:49:13 PM »
Apart from that silly 50 he gave away I thought he was fantastic. Ran his socks off and looked dangerous up forward.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #869 on: October 17, 2020, 06:18:08 AM »
Daniel Rioli

Gave away a 50 metre penalty that you just do not do in finals, but had 13 touches at 92 per cent efficiency, plenty in the forward half and the six tackles. Didn’t hit the scoreboard.

Rating: 6