Author Topic: Daniel Rioli [merged]  (Read 238795 times)

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Daniel Rioli [merged]
« Reply #1005 on: June 22, 2021, 10:06:38 PM »
The first half on the weekend he was good playing as a mid and high forward. I would play him on a wing as he can use his endurance and pace. Surely Caddy can make way.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1006 on: June 23, 2021, 02:30:16 PM »
The first half on the weekend he was good playing as a mid and high forward. I would play him on a wing as he can use his endurance and pace. Surely Caddy can make way.

Maybe he has found his level

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1007 on: June 23, 2021, 04:19:26 PM »

Don't agree at all.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1008 on: June 23, 2021, 04:59:30 PM »

Don't agree at all.

The main issue with Daniel from my view point is that now after what 6-7 years in the system he should be banging down the door to play as a winger or an outside mid but he isn't.

I know some people will say he is needed as a small forward pressuring but we've seen Shai go into the middle, seen George play some time on the wing but not Daniel to the same level

I know it's harsh but he has not taken the next step. His output from 2017 has not increased; it has actually decreased. Even taking out 2018 where he was coming back from that awful foot injury his output 2019 to now is just disappointing

He is our current cameo king and to be honest with his obvious natural talent I expect more, a lot more
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1009 on: June 23, 2021, 06:33:26 PM »
The players at your club struggling to break-in: Daniel Rioli

The three-time premiership player has struggled to impose himself in 2021.

A sublime talent, Rioli has not been able to grab the opportunities afforded to him with both hands, despite his previous standing in the team.

He was back in the side against West Coast prior to the bye, having come on late as a medical sub for the Dreamtime win over Essendon, but he has been omitted from the 22 on several occasions this year.

Rioli needs to grab the bull by the horns and cast aside any doubt Damien Hardwick and the coaching staff have had in him of late to again be a key contributing figure in the Richmond line-up.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/06/23/the-players-at-your-club-who-are-struggling-to-break-in/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1010 on: June 24, 2021, 02:21:30 PM »
‘Daniel’s got to change’: Hardwick charts Rioli’s path back to Tigers side

Damien Ractliffe
The Age
June 24, 2021 — 11.54am

Triple-premiership coach Damien Hardwick said “Daniel’s got to change with [the game]” if he’s to reach the heights the Tigers believe he can.

Rioli, 24, and Marlion Pickett (half-forward) both played in different positions in Richmond’s VFL game last Sunday against Williamstown and Pickett, Dion Prestia and debutant Samson Ryan will come into the senior team to face the Saints on Friday night.

However, Hardwick said Rioli had more work to do in the reserves in order to press for senior selection.

“He’s been a wonderful player for us but I think he can get even better, which for me is really really exciting,” Hardwick said.

“What we’re looking to [do] is evolve. The game consistently challenges us to change so Daniel’s got to change with it. We’re really excited about the prospect of what he could become behind the ball.

“It’s going to be one step back, for mine, to go two steps forward.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/daniel-s-got-to-change-hardwick-charts-rioli-s-path-back-to-tigers-side-20210624-p583v0.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1011 on: June 24, 2021, 04:56:00 PM »
Daniel's lost that spark offensively. That natural instinctive footy he showed in his first few years has disappeared. He's totally down in confidence and it's reflecting in his skill level.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1012 on: June 24, 2021, 06:02:07 PM »
Do you think his love life is more of a priority for him?

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1013 on: June 24, 2021, 10:09:33 PM »
Yeah he's been a passenger for a year or two really.  Ever since he did his foot he hasn't had the spark. Dunno why though he is still quick.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1014 on: June 25, 2021, 08:05:42 AM »
The fact he was gifted games at the top level at the start of his career may have something to do with it

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1015 on: June 25, 2021, 11:59:21 AM »
Slow decision maker when he has a mark or free prefers to kick in that situation ignoring handball options and takes his time.

Can be a real momentum killer.

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1016 on: June 25, 2021, 12:17:15 PM »
Feel as though Daniel needs to be Tyrone Vickeried

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #1017 on: June 25, 2021, 12:34:30 PM »
Slow decision maker when he has a mark or free prefers to kick in that situation ignoring handball options and takes his time.

Can be a real momentum killer.
100% correct.

If he just kept going especially with the new rule you'd think he would benefit from utilising it but he seems to constantly stop and prop and go back on the mark it’s very frustrating to watch.

Sounds as though Hardwick wants to try to make him a half back flanker I’m not sure he’s gonna be able to do it.
The club that keeps giving.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1018 on: June 25, 2021, 01:15:08 PM »
The fact he was gifted games at the top level at the start of his career may have something to do with it

Think you are right Chuck

Similar to a few that have gone before him

And he like them (hi BEllis) don't get it when they get dropped
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Buddysucks

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1019 on: June 25, 2021, 01:18:51 PM »
Can’t get a game as a small forward when we are screaming for someone to step up. Now he needs to adapt to a back flank role. Me thinks Daniel is about to head out the back door. If you can’t apply pressure in the F50 do we really expect him to chase tail in the back 50?