Author Topic: Daniel Rioli [merged]  (Read 238822 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Daniel Rioli [merged]
« Reply #1170 on: February 02, 2023, 02:36:57 AM »
Rioli starred as a small forward when Richmond won three flags between 2017-2020, but he was moved to defence at the tail-end of 2021 after his form started to wane.

The move proved to be a masterstroke, with the 25-year-old's creativity and speed becoming a major weapon.

Rioli, whose new deal at Richmond runs until the end of 2027, has no plans to move away from the back line.

"I'll stay half back this year," he said.

"I played some consistent footy that I'm happy with.

"Half back is probably the position I really suit and hopefully I'll get better from there."

Source: West Australian

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1171 on: March 17, 2023, 03:44:45 AM »
Daniel close to if not best on ground for us last night.

27 disposals (17k, 10h, 6c, 17u, 92.6% eff.)
7 marks (1 contested)
4 tackles
5 inside 50s
7 intercepts
681 metres gained
5 score involvements
1 goal assist
84% time on ground

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1172 on: March 17, 2023, 06:03:11 AM »
Best on ground. Continued his brilliant form from last year.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1173 on: March 17, 2023, 06:26:24 AM »
He was consistent throughout the entire game. When the game was there to be won or lost he put in a monster chase and then laid a brilliant tackle in last seconds of game. His attitude is spot on. Deserves enormous credit.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1174 on: March 17, 2023, 09:08:58 AM »
Is proving to be an upgrade on bachar
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #1175 on: March 17, 2023, 09:16:15 AM »
He was best on ground
Superstar
The way he takes the game on is sensational
Claw thinks anyone looks good at half back etc

Well, I don’t recall many take the game on like Daniel does. He’s exciting and such a springboard for us.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1176 on: March 17, 2023, 10:25:12 AM »
Guys are you sure it is just not his name which is getting him games?

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1177 on: March 17, 2023, 11:08:58 AM »
He really does have all the attributes to be a gun half back flanker. Was wasted as a fwd pocket. Nice move by Dimma and the coaches.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1178 on: March 17, 2023, 05:21:00 PM »
Thought when he was a fwd he was mostly ordinary ah well team success always seems to rewrite things.
People were calling for him to either be dropped or played elsewhere well before they moved him to the back line. But well done dimma you got there eventually.

On his game yep he had a good un and yep he has become a very good running defender.

Before Daniel Short and then Baker  before him Bachar and before him Ellis people get the drift they all look a million bucks in the role and they all had shortcomings.

It used to be a role clubs would get games into young blokes it still is at a lot of clubs.Its been a role that clubs have given to players who have struggled in other roles its nothing new.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1179 on: March 17, 2023, 09:03:11 PM »
Thought when he was a fwd he was mostly ordinary ah well team success always seems to rewrite things.
People were calling for him to either be dropped or played elsewhere well before they moved him to the back line. But well done dimma you got there eventually.

On his game yep he had a good un and yep he has become a very good running defender.

Before Daniel Short and then Baker  before him Bachar and before him Ellis people get the drift they all look a million bucks in the role and they all had shortcomings.

It used to be a role clubs would get games into young blokes it still is at a lot of clubs.Its been a role that clubs have given to players who have struggled in other roles its nothing new.

As a HBF, what do you think Rioli's shortcomings would be?

For Ellis I sometimes questioned his courage, Dan never.
Houli sometimes defensive closeness, Dan nope.
Baker disposal, Dan nope.
Short disposal under pressure, Dan nope.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #1180 on: March 18, 2023, 03:20:36 AM »

Not one of them takes the game on the way Dan does

Panels ahead of all you mentioned

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1181 on: March 18, 2023, 07:03:16 AM »
Robbo's poll in the HeraldSun.

Who would you rather at your club?
Adam Saad    38 %
Daniel Rioli    62 %

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/afl-round-1-mark-robinson-reviews-season-opener-between-richmond-and-carlton/news-story/87148a09deed7ef0adb046aa0aa6a3fe

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1182 on: March 18, 2023, 10:20:38 AM »

Damo - if Thursday night is the standard - he will be panels above anyone else in the competition at half back.
His run and carry was phenomenal.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1183 on: March 18, 2023, 10:45:07 AM »
If any one looked i said his game was very good in the changes thread i think. High praise indeed from me.

He has become and i agree with people here a very good running defender and yes Andy he is probably more rounded than the players mentioned.
The point remains for me at least that the role itself seems to be one where deficient players have been allowed to look very good.

I named our previous running hb and all, a lot of the time looked great but all were imo just average players.

Im wary of the role and how to judge players who perform it ,as i have continually said clubs just about all of em play kids there or inevitably play blokes who are good runners there who have struggled in other roles and most look a million bucks.

Collingwood started quainor there and now Daicos who will become a very damaging all round mid. Essendon McGrath all first year players all started there  and all looked a million bucks in the role from the get go. Adelaides Laird well he was as good as any back there and has gone onto become a very proficient mid.

I think we should be if anything looking at playing Brown there and now not next year or the year after because it is a position that kids can come straight in and  excell at..

Im not having a go at Rioli as people seem to think im pleased he has turned it around and become such a valuable player. Im just looking at the role from a different angle and thats the point its about the roleand what we should be expecting from players who perform it.

The one pleasing aspect of Rioli's game is he seems to have a good defensive side to it.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1184 on: March 18, 2023, 10:45:40 AM »

Damo - if Thursday night is the standard - he will be panels above anyone else in the competition at half back.
His run and carry was phenomenal.

Yep, AA squad or team.