Author Topic: Daniel Rioli [merged]  (Read 238717 times)

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Daniel Rioli [merged]
« Reply #1185 on: April 18, 2023, 11:43:09 AM »
Maybe an unpopular opinion but is it time to move D Rioli back to the forward line?  We have a lot of players who can play the HB position when at full strength but not a lot of pure forward pressure type players anymore.  No dispute that he has been great there at half back but do we need to go back to basics rather than manufacturing positions like Mansell playing forward?

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #1186 on: April 18, 2023, 03:48:16 PM »
Maybe an unpopular opinion but is it time to move D Rioli back to the forward line?  We have a lot of players who can play the HB position when at full strength but not a lot of pure forward pressure type players anymore.  No dispute that he has been great there at half back but do we need to go back to basics rather than manufacturing positions like Mansell playing forward?

Truly hope not
And one could argue moving him back to the forward line would be manufacturing .. He's appeared a lot more comfortable breaking the lines rebounding etc than he ever did up forward ..
Was never a fan of him as a forward, and he is currently my favourite player as a defender

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1187 on: April 18, 2023, 05:25:56 PM »
He kicked 4 against GWS in the prelim!!! Was a sensational forward until his foot/ankle injury and kicked 25 goals for the year and it was his 2nd year.

I do like him at half back though. The team lacks quality i50 entries and outside of him and Martin you have no faith that the ball is gonna hit a target or even be to the forwards advantage. Teams are also tagging the poo out him and it’s effected us badly, that’s how highly they rate his work off halfback.

With the stand rule the hb playmaker with elite kicking has been super important and it’s no surprise Collingwood with Daicos has been dominating.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1188 on: April 18, 2023, 05:59:01 PM »
Sensational forward ?
Kicked 25 goals yep
Dan Butler kicked 30, does that make him better than sensational ? Because tackles and disposals basically the same as well.
Jason Castagna 26 goals same year. Sensational forward?

Eddie Betts , 75 goals in a season and same tackle numbers , that’s SENSATIONAL

Daniel Rioli as a rebounding defender, is sensational IMO

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #1189 on: April 18, 2023, 08:08:46 PM »
I don't mind this. The move to put Rioli back and Short forward I personally don't see how this has improved us.

Put Short back in Rioli role, out Rioli forward and free up some midfield minutes for our young kids like Sonsie.
Go Tigers!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1190 on: April 18, 2023, 08:14:03 PM »
I wouldn't be moving Daniel Rioli back to the forward line

He's been a revelation across HB excellent disposal and extreme pace. We need his breakout speed from the back half
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 09:07:16 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #1191 on: April 18, 2023, 08:51:36 PM »

He's been a revelation across excellent disposal and extreme pace. We need his breakout speed from the back half

I can't argue with that, but if we have a 9/10 rebound defender whilst having a 3/10 forward that can be a 7/10 forward and 7/10 running defender we become a better side with the later.
Go Tigers!

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1192 on: April 18, 2023, 09:09:37 PM »

He's been a revelation across excellent disposal and extreme pace. We need his breakout speed from the back half

I can't argue with that, but if we have a 9/10 rebound defender whilst having a 3/10 forward that can be a 7/10 forward and 7/10 running defender we become a better side with the later.

Would 22 7/10 players beat 11 9/10 and 11 3/10 players

Doubt it

I agree with WP

Rioli has been sensational in his current position

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1193 on: April 18, 2023, 10:02:33 PM »
Sensational forward ?
Kicked 25 goals yep
Dan Butler kicked 30, does that make him better than sensational ? Because tackles and disposals basically the same as well.

I’ll pay that. I remember his goals more vividly in the second half of 2017 than the other 2. Or just his touches in general. Like his assists and goal against port in the wet in 2017 for example.

Anyway oppos are tagging him at half back so he’s definitely doing something right back there. The team needs to get better to take pressure off him.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1194 on: April 18, 2023, 10:09:52 PM »
Sensational forward ?
Kicked 25 goals yep

I’ll pay that. I remember his goals more vividly in the second half of 2017 than the other 2. Or just his touches in general. Like his assists and goal against port in the wet in 2017 for example.

Anyway oppos are tagging him at half back so he’s definitely doing something right back there. The team needs to get better to take pressure off him.

Agree
He’s the least of our problems
I understand what you were saying initially ..
But reckon it’s a huge case of robbing Peter to pay Paul

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1195 on: April 18, 2023, 10:53:50 PM »
Probably pushing for AA HBF.

Keep him there.

Acknowledge we need better small forwards but Dan isn't the answer.

I think Bolton needs a kick up the ass, Cumberland is doing OK for a bloke who's played about 2 games and maybe his confidence was down after being shafted, and M Rioli needs some work.

I actually think Pickett would make a great forward. Excellent kick, strong hands, superb aerial ability, tough as f.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1196 on: May 04, 2023, 12:21:16 AM »
Yokayi Footy E8: Richmond's Dan Rioli

The Richmond speedster visits Yokayi Footy with news from Punt Road:

Start from 13:50 min mark: https://www.afl.com.au/video/917906

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1197 on: May 04, 2023, 12:34:29 AM »
Love this bloke. Captain material

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1198 on: May 04, 2023, 10:48:49 AM »
Captain Rioli in the 17. I LOVE IT!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1199 on: May 14, 2023, 04:08:00 PM »
[Daniel Rioli] finished the match with 23 disposals, six marks, four rebound-50s, four intercepts, one goal, seven score involvements and 513 metres gained.

It was the ninth time in the nine games so far this season that he has racked up 20 disposals or more.

His disposals average in season 2023 is 23.7, along with 5.4 marks, 4.1 rebound-50s, 5.8 intercepts, 4.0 score involvements and 437.7 metres gained.

-------------------------

“He’s just one of those guys, with his run-and-carry, I think they’re just so important in setting your game up,” Hardwick said.

“They get speed on the ball and they move the ball really well.

“I think the vast majority of his season has been outstanding.

“We toyed with throwing him forward there for a period (against Geelong) because he hurt his ankle, and he won a couple of crucial balls as well.

“So, we’ve always got that up our sleeve.

“But he’s just such a damaging half-back at the moment that we’re really pleased he plays for the Tigers.”

-----------------

“I think the boys down back really believe in what I can do, and they give me the ball, which is nice,” Rioli said in a post-game interview on Channel Seven.

“So, credit to those boys. They make me look good.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1331049/red-hot-rioli