Author Topic: Nathan Broad [merged]  (Read 94589 times)

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Re: Nathan Broad [merged]
« Reply #405 on: April 30, 2023, 03:12:22 PM »
Didn't think it was that bad.

Plus it was zorko.

Nowhere near as bad as the broad one

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #406 on: May 01, 2023, 07:02:56 PM »
‘Very, very disappointing’: Tigers flag hero reacts to shock Suns loss

Triple premiership-winning Richmond defender Nathan Broad believes the Tigers were heading in the right direction before Sunday’s shock defeat to Gold Coast at Marvel Stadium.

The 24-point loss to the Suns leaves Richmond with only a round-two victory over Adelaide and a season-opening draw with Carlton from the first seven rounds, and already 2½ wins adrift of the top eight.

The Tigers now face a difficult climb to return to the finals, but Broad pointed to them leading Melbourne by 25 points six days earlier – only to then lose by 18 – as proof they are not far away. But at the same time, he said they needed to “get to work” and quickly rectify what was going wrong.

“Very, very disappointing,” Broad told this masthead of the Gold Coast defeat.

“We thought we went in with a game plan that was good enough, but hats off to Gold Coast – they outplayed us, and they took over 120 uncontested marks, which is just not good enough on our behalf.

“We’re doing a lot right. Last week against Melbourne was a great stepping stone forward, but unfortunately [against the Suns] we went backwards.”

This was not the start to the season Richmond’s brains trust envisioned when they traded for ex-Giants Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper, and in what could be the send-off year for club greats Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt.

Taranto is averaging a career-best 31 disposals, 13 contested possessions and six clearances, and would comfortably be leading the Tigers’ best and fairest.

“It’s disappointing we can’t get a few wins on the board for him and ‘Hops’, but they’ve rocked up in great nick, and they’re trying their arses off,” Broad said. “They’re doing really well for us in the midfield, and getting us clearances, and Taranto’s having a great season.”

Broad was playing for the first time since round two after serving a four-match ban for a dangerous tackle that left Adelaide opponent Patrick Parnell concussed.

Barely a week has gone by this season without a player being suspended for a dangerous tackle, under the rough conduct banner, with the AFL desperate to protect the head and make the game safer.

“It’s a tough one. The game’s played at such a frenetic pace. It’s easy if you press pause and slow something down – anything looks bad when you do that,” Broad said.

“Mine was a very bad tackle, but I do feel for some of these players who are getting weeks. It’s so quick and things are going to happen; there’s 360 impact, and not much protective gear.

“When we sign up for this game; we sign up for the consequences, so we know what’s going to happen. I do feel for some of these blokes, but me, on the other hand, I deserved what I got because it was a second-motion tackle.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/exciting-melbourne-forward-rejects-rival-interest-to-stay-a-demon-20230501-p5d4kw.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #407 on: May 03, 2023, 02:10:38 PM »
Free agent Tiger professes love for club

Richmond premiership defender Nathan Broad admits his impending contract call is the biggest of his career.

The unrestricted free agent turned 30 in April but remains a key member of the Tigers’ backline, which he patrolled during their golden era that delivered flags in 2017, 2019 and 2020.

Gold Coast previously tried to lure the West Australian north in 2020 when he was last out of contract, but he re-signed at Richmond. West Coast are the latest club to show interest in Broad, but they are going through a major rebuild, while the Tigers – despite a slow start to the season – are trying to stay competitive.

“I’m not too sure yet,” Broad told Money Talks of his future.

“I’ve spent the last four weeks out of the game [before returning from suspension on Sunday], so getting back in the side was the main thing, then playing consistent football from here on in.

“I love this footy club. I’m 30, which people see as getting old, but I still feel 18 – I feel great. We’re in a bit of a lull, but I know we’ll get our way out of it.

“I love it here and hopefully will sign on, but I’ve just got to play some games now.”

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/afl/saint-jade-in-high-demand-broad-s-big-call-looms-at-tigers-oscar-mcdonald-back-on-afl-radar-20230501-p5d4mf.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #408 on: May 06, 2023, 05:23:12 PM »
Brilliant game on Darling by Broady today. Kept Darling to just 4 touches  :clapping.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #409 on: May 07, 2023, 10:43:42 AM »
Yep- so good to have him back in the team.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #410 on: May 12, 2023, 10:07:24 PM »
Our no.1 defender now in my eyes. Took care of the no.1 forward in the comp. Sensational!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #411 on: May 12, 2023, 10:16:04 PM »
Since he's come back, Broady has shown how much we missed him. Shut out Darling last week and now kept quiet the most dangerous forward in the comp. in Cameron tonight  :clapping.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #412 on: May 12, 2023, 10:17:43 PM »
Was s star tonight.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #413 on: May 12, 2023, 10:36:03 PM »
Always plays well on Cameron, about the only guy who can

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #414 on: May 12, 2023, 11:34:29 PM »
Biggest question is can we afford to lose this guy at the end of the year?
Go Tigers!

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #415 on: May 12, 2023, 11:46:54 PM »
This guy might be our best deep draft pick ever

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #416 on: May 13, 2023, 03:21:54 AM »
His body work, ball work, composure under pressure and decision making is unbelievable. 10/10

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #417 on: May 13, 2023, 11:32:04 AM »
His body work, ball work, composure under pressure and decision making is unbelievable. 10/10

Yes and his kicking/composure was probably a knock on him 5 years ago. He has worked hard and improved. Pickett too

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #418 on: May 13, 2023, 04:22:56 PM »
From Jay Clark's HeraldSun article:

Broad is equally important after returning from a dangerous tackle suspension which sidelined him for four matches.

The Tigers have missed him, and the club is working on a contract extension to keep the Western Australian at the club for several more seasons.

Hardwick joked that the club might give Broad’s manager a miss this week after Broad raised his contract price, stopping Cameron.

“While he is really highly-rated in our four walls, he probably doesn’t get the respect outside of that,” Hardwick said.

“The four games he missed, as harsh as it was, were crucial.

“All those players he generally takes were sort of hurting us.

“We are really pleased he is back in the side and understanding how important he is.”

About a contract extension, Hardwick said tongue-in-cheek “He is playing hard ball I suppose”.

“We won’t answer his manager’s calls this week though, he’ll be wanting too much money.”

Broad said he primed himself for the Cameron contest, knowing the superstar forward was one of the best players in the league.

The Tigers’ defender said the plan was to try and keep Cameron as far away from the goals as possible.

“It’s always good to get the good players, I really enjoy that,” Broad said.

“We thought we could let him have the touches up there (in the midfield) and try and soak him up when he comes back through.

“I just tried to get him when I could and let him have his touches up top.

“And try and nullify him (inside 50m), but he can kick goals from 60m, so you have got to be on your game.

“I went into the game really pumped for the challenge.

“I really pride myself on trying to take a dangerous forward each week but I’ve got great help around me – Dylan Grimes, Noah Balta, Nick Vlastuin.

“These blokes put their body on the line to help me out.”

Source: HeraldSun.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #419 on: May 15, 2023, 12:40:15 AM »
SHREWD TIGER TACTICS PAY OFF... AND SHOW WHAT THEY’VE BEEN MISSING

Max Laughton, Ben Waterworth and David Zita
Foxsports
15 May 2023

The Tigers’ defence was expected to be an issue coming into the season - especially in terms of a lack of depth. And with Robbie Tarrant yet to play a game in 2023, and Nathan Broad playing just his fifth last Friday night, that depth has been exposed.

But what a fifth it was, with Broad limiting Geelong superstar Jeremy Cameron’s impact and helping inspire a major upset over the reigning premiers.

While Cameron had 21 disposals (four inside 50), nine marks and six score involvements, he added just the one goal - while Broad compiled 19 disposals, seven marks, 11 intercepts and five intercept marks.

It was his versatility and footy smarts that allowed him to win the battle, and thus the war, according to Fox Footy’s experts.

“Nathan Broad at the right time would drop off him, he’d go back and help Noah Balta, let Jeremy Cameron get up the ground at stoppage - and it’s a great result,” Garry Lyon said.

Jordan Lewis responded: “You back your system in and you understand what your strengths are. So if you’re Nathan Broad, your strength isn’t in and around the stoppage. You back your midfielders in to try and absorb that pressure from Cameron, force him further up the field.

“And we speak about the way Broad was able to defend - and it’s a lot of the stuff you can’t see, your behind the goal vision. He’s so versatile, so he can play on Cameron one week and then the smaller forward the next week.

“He was huge; he played his position and his opponent perfectly.”

North Melbourne champion David King declared Cameron had looked “impotent” offensively in a way he hadn’t seen before.

“Broad’s match up with Jeremy, he just wasn’t a threat, even in the forward-50,” King told SEN’s Crunch Time.

“I haven’t seen him look so impotent in the forward half of the ground.

“He (Broad) gave him some opportunities 60-70 metres from goal but nothing really close to goal.

“I couldn’t stop watching that battle.

“Damien (Hardwick) touched on it in the post-match he said ‘you know he missed four weeks and you look at the type of player that he plays on, that player’s got us in all those games and they end up being losses’.”

To Hardwick’s point, the Tigers proved unable to stop players like Jacob Van Rooyen (three goals in Q4 for Melbourne in Round 6), Tom Papley (six goals for Sydney in Round 5), Aaron Naughton (three goals for the Bulldogs in Round 4) and Jamie Elliott (two goals in a low-scoring Collingwood win in Round 3).

Given Broad’s versatility he certainly would’ve limited some of those goals - and perhaps swung the results in the process.

He’s going to be vital if Richmond wants to recover from its 1-5-1 start to play finals. Already they’ve won consecutive games, placing them just a win and a half outside of the top eight after Round 9.

They’re still going to need to win nine or 10 of their last 14 matches to play finals, but that’s doable.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2023-round-9-talking-points-analysis-reaction-results-wrap-highlights-harley-reid-cup-between-hawks-roos-and-eagles-carlton-offfield-problems/news-story/47702678a4317f61534939673b4d9e0f