Author Topic: Nathan Broad [merged]  (Read 92853 times)

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Pick 67 - Nathan Broad
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2016, 07:53:36 AM »
James Manson
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2016, 11:54:19 AM »
Which game was everyone watching?

Lost every marking contest! Had 6-7 goals kicked on him!

Astbury should be in Batchelors' spot!

Astbury got shot to pieces last night he was shocking. Batchlor is in front of him easy

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2016, 11:55:29 AM »

Astbury got shot to pieces last night he was shocking. Batchlor is in front of him easy

What??  Astburgers was good last night. He is a spud but he can hold his head high today. Took a number of good marks and used it pretty well. 

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2016, 11:55:37 AM »
As for Broad he has something to offer. Fresh kid on the block may bring something to the side. l like the way he goes about things & he will learn from his mistakes.

Persist

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2016, 11:57:02 AM »

What??  Astburgers was good last night. He is a spud but he can hold his head high today. Took a number of good marks and used it pretty well.

Is a witch hat Astbury. Needs to grow a set of balls

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2016, 01:10:13 PM »
Unlike Brisbane last week, Port applied AFL-level pressure and Broad was thus exposed as the state-level player he is.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2016, 02:16:50 PM »
In fairness most players take time to adjust to the tempo.

He did look all at sea at times last night, but most of the team wilted under Ports pressure.

If we wrote every player off who struggled with the tempo of AFL footy in their first few games it would be like a merry go round
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2016, 03:14:17 PM »
Unlike Brisbane last week, Port applied AFL-level pressure and Broad was thus exposed as the state-level player he is.

Bit harsh. As you say, it was his first exposure to real pressure.

He doesn't fill me with confidence but I'll reserve my judgement for now.

Offline Heart of Darkness

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2016, 07:57:16 PM »

Bit harsh. As you say, it was his first exposure to real pressure.

He doesn't fill me with confidence but I'll reserve my judgement for now.

Yep. Happy to see him play ahead of Batch for the rest of the season but don't have high hopes.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2016, 08:00:07 PM »
Poor mans stevie, shows how much we stink as a club what us supporters hang onto :banghead
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 05:32:20 AM by one-eyed »

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2016, 01:24:20 AM »
We have to play this kid because we know Batch has had a fair go and is no good.

Also need to get time into McBean and Elton.

Elevate Chol for the retired McKenzie.

Give Marcon a shot.

Never play Chaplin, Vickery, Griffiths, Conca, Hunt etc again.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2016, 10:45:27 AM »
Would like to see c moore

Former aa u18

Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2017, 04:21:43 PM »
Richmond development coach Ryan Ferguson discusses the impressive return from long-term injury of the Tigers’ mature-age selection in the 2015 AFL National Draft, Nathan Broad, in this week’s ‘Coaches’ Corner’.

His running ability

“That was one of his strengths pre-injury, and he was able to keep his running up (in rehab), being a shoulder injury. He got a lot of work on the legs and he’s come back and used his power running as a real weapon in his last few games . . . He’s probably taken it to a new level, to be honest . . . He was a really good defensive runner, and since he’s come back, he’s incorporated that into the offensive side of his game. That has added an extra element to his game, which is great.”

Intercept improvement

“That’s something he’s added to his game, also. I worked with him early in the season about when he’s in position, to mark the ball, rather than to spoil . . . And, on the weekend, he took six intercept marks. So he’s added that to his game.”

One-on-one defensive development

“Another thing he’s been working on really hard is his strength over the ball – aerial and ground balls. He’s been really strong. He is a strong boy in the gym and he’s been able to transfer that on to the track and then into games.”

Increased versatility

“He can play as a tall, small, runner, an interceptor . . . He’s got some more aspects to his game these days . . . The last few weeks, he’s been playing on all types (of opponents). We’ve used him as a third-type defender. We like to get him up the ground and being able to run. But also, if there’s a third tall that’s important to them (the opposition), he can shut those down as well.”

Spending some time forward

“He likes the idea of that, too . . . He’s actually been a good linkmen, when he’s gone forward. He’s been able to get up the ground, take some marks, provide a bit of a link in the chain. And I think he’s enjoyed running around up the other end . . .”

Pressing for senior selection

“The way he played on the weekend . . . he’s in career-best form, and he’ll be putting his hand up to play senior footy. Obviously, the coaches have got to talk about that in match selection, but he’s doing all he can at the moment. Hopefully he gets a run shortly.”

Read more at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-07-12/focus-on-nathan-broad

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2017, 09:20:19 PM »
Broadly speaking....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tattooed Tiger Nathan Broad finds a kindred spirit in Dustin Martin

Shayne Hope
West Australian
6 August 2017

One of the most significant moments in Nathan Broad’s season to date didn’t occur in front of thousands under the bright lights of the MCG, nor on the sacred turf next door at Richmond’s famous Punt Road home.

It transpired in more intimate surrounds at a small Greek restaurant in Moonee Ponds.

It was there at Philhellene that a tight gathering of wounded Tigers assembled to celebrate the second-year defender’s re-release into the AFL jungle; a tradition conceived by club conditioning boss Rob Innes.

Broad had spent more than two months under Innes’ watchful eye, slogging away in the rehabilitation group as he rebuilt strength in his right shoulder.

“It’s a dark place to be,” the 192cm defender said.

“You’re here at the club before everyone else, you’re training away from the group and you don’t get to see them that much.

“But the things Rob does, not just at the footy club but outside of footy, keeps it very entertaining. You obviously don’t want to be there, but he definitely makes it more enjoyable.”

Broad could hardly have picked a worse time to get the first and only injury of his career so far, either at Richmond or in his five years at Swan Districts, where he developed into a player worth taking a chance on as a mature-aged pick.

“It was two days before round one,” Broad said.

“We were just doing a drill and I was on Jack Riewoldt. We came into another pair, all four us kind of hit and my legs got tunnelled out from underneath me.

“I landed on my head and did the AC. You could tell straight away that it was serious. It was just an unlucky accident.”

Almost immediately, Broad knew he had to simplify his goals.

“It’s difficult. You’re out of contract and I’d only played two games in my first year,” the 25-year-old said.

“I just tried to block all that out and get back as fit and strong as possible through my rehab.

“It was a good opportunity to get one-on-one personal training. I wanted to get back playing consistent footy and enjoying footy because it’s not very fun on the sidelines.”

Broad arrived at Swan Districts as a bright eyed 17-year-old from Dongara, via tiny Bindoon, with dreams of becoming an AFL star, but didn’t take the conventional route to the big league.

Picked in WA’s extended under-18s squad, he didn’t get a game at the 2011 national championships and went undrafted.

That squad produced first-round draft picks Jaeger O’Meara, Stephen Coniglio and Tom Mitchell, as well as future premiership players Brad Hill and Joel Hamling.

Broad had to fight, spending four seasons bouncing between Swans’ league and reserves teams. He was inspired by teammate Blaine Boekhorst’s surprise selection by Carlton in the 2014 draft and honest feedback from senior coach Greg Harding.

It led to steady improvement and, eventually, Broad was drafted as a 22-year-old from Swans with the fourth-last pick (No.67 overall) in the 2015 national draft.

Upon arrival at Punt Road, he found he had something in common with the club’s resident superstar, who turned out to be nothing like the preconceived ideas the new recruit had of him.

Dustin Martin, Broad discovered, was more reserved and cared deeply about teammates.

The persona contradicted the tattoos in which the on-field aggressor and showman was covered. But the ink was an immediate link to the man who is now the raging Brownlow Medal favourite.

Some of Broad’s most prominent tattoos are “just because I like them”. Others, such as the unmissable ‘Broadie’ script decorating the right side of his torso, have more meaning.

“I’ve got a rose for every female member of my family; two nannas and my mum and that,” Broad said.

“I’ve got the swallows because they don’t forget where they’ve come from.”

Not that his mates back home would let him forget.

After a half-hour interview and before resuming his preparation for the weekend’s game – his fourth in succession since being recalled to the senior team — Broad will check his phone.

There will be “40 or 50” messages waiting to be read in a group chat with Perth-based friends.

Broad’s early strength was playing on the small forwards as a taller player.

But the 192cm defender lacked the aerial ability, core strength and technique to take on the big forwards.

Assistant coaches Ben Rutten and Ryan Ferguson have been crucial to his development, as has champion goal kicker Riewoldt.

“He’s someone I try to go to,” Broad said.

“He’s a very smart footballer and someone who’s willing to teach you while playing on you. He always wants to help you and help others.

“He’ll tell you things that forwards don’t like and how they run away from the space that they want to come back into.”

Publicly, Richmond players and coaches will tell you the 2017 season is a week-by-week prospect, despite the fact they occupy a top-four spot going into tomorrow’s date with Hawthorn at the MCG.

But the Tiger Army hasn’t enjoyed a finals win in 16 years.

Their last premiership was almost four decades ago and the bandwagon is reaching capacity.

“If we get a final here, Swan Street will be in lockdown. It will just be ridiculous,” said Broad, who has played the past three games and is desperate to hold his spot with four home-and-away matches remaining.

“But we’ve still got a lot of work to do before finals.

“We’ve got the Hawks this week, who are flying, so we try and keep a lid on it.

“The old cliche is one week at a time, but that literally is what it’s like with us at the moment.

“We’ll see how we go.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/tattooed-tiger-nathan-broad-finds-a-kindred-spirit-in-dustin-martin-ng-b88558623z