Author Topic: Mabior Chol joins Gold Coast / Tigers get End of Round 2 compo pick [official]  (Read 97252 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Mabior Chol [merged]
« Reply #195 on: June 30, 2019, 05:18:19 PM »
Should be first ruck next year....with Nank playing primarily as an intercept defender.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #196 on: June 30, 2019, 07:49:14 PM »
Rising star number 3
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #197 on: June 30, 2019, 07:59:07 PM »
Mabior was very good today.

16 disposals (13k, 3h, 8c, 8u, 75% eff.)
9 marks (2 contested)
4 In50s
2 Re50s
1 clearance
2 tackles
7 hitouts
1 clanger
3 goals

Thought he was better than "Very good"

Thought he was excellent. Gave us so much more around the ground
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 08:46:16 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #198 on: June 30, 2019, 08:45:23 PM »
Amazing when you back in some youngsters and give them a few chances, they rarely let you down. If this guy can become mentally stronger he could be a very very handy player...  :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #199 on: June 30, 2019, 09:00:00 PM »
What a fantastic performance...his best game by a long way :clapping The bonus with this performance is Balta should now be groomed to replace Astbury ASAP :thumbsup

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #200 on: June 30, 2019, 09:12:34 PM »
What a fantastic performance...his best game by a long way :clapping The bonus with this performance is Balta should now be groomed to replace Astbury ASAP :thumbsup

Assberry had a pretty good game today
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #201 on: June 30, 2019, 09:16:57 PM »

Assberry had a pretty good game today

Was ok but I believe the end will come fast for him.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #202 on: June 30, 2019, 11:12:16 PM »
I still think Balta should be groomed to be the next Grundy. His speed is a waste if he doesn’t play on ball

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #203 on: July 01, 2019, 12:36:36 AM »
Awesome today!

The question mark has always been his effort levels but he was chasing as hard as anyone today.

Beautiful kicking too!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #204 on: July 01, 2019, 03:50:39 AM »
Hardwick agreed that Chol's three-goal performance was his most promising for the Tigers and said he ''has certainly got some talent'', which was why Richmond had been patient with the 200cm ruckman-forward's development.

"He's just got to learn to get the consistency of the AFL  ... and I think he can be a player for us,'' Hardwick said.

Source: The Age

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #205 on: July 01, 2019, 10:47:50 AM »
I thought he was make it some said on here

Looks like he has the tools. Shown more than slomo vickery already
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #206 on: July 01, 2019, 10:52:59 AM »
I was very excited when we got him coz I thought he had some amazing athleticism and agility for a tall feller, Then I thought we were gonna get rid of him.  I think he was suffering from the rules / tactics clogging up his instincts a bit.  Hope he keeps going on this trend.
Lots of people name their swords......

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #207 on: July 01, 2019, 05:55:31 PM »
Will do wonders for his self belief

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #208 on: July 01, 2019, 07:20:22 PM »
After 1020-day wait for game two, Tiger proves he was worth waiting for

July 1, 2019 4:38pm
James Halley
FOX SPORTS

It was the final round of 2016 when Mabior Chol made his AFL debut. He had to wait 1020 days for a second game; but now he’s proving it was worth the wait.

The Tigers knew when they selected Chol with Pick 30 in the 2015 Rookie Draft that he needed time. He stood at 198 centimetres, but weighed just 81 kilograms.

His debut against Sydney in Round 23, 2016 was very bleak. He managed just two disposals in a humiliating 113-point loss and clearly wasn’t at AFL standard.

This is the project player’s fourth year on Richmond’s list, and many externally were questioning why he was still at the club. But Tigers coach Damien Hardwick knew he had a special player on his hands.

“Marbs (Mabior Chol), we’ve sorta hung onto him because we’ve seen what he can do,” Hardwick said in his post-match press conference on Sunday.

Season 2019 has shown letting players develop in the VFL can help unearth stars. The likes of Geelong’s Gryan Miers and Essendon’s Dylan Clarke have completed successful apprenticeships in the VFL system before cementing their spots in their respective AFL teams.

Chol now could be to be the next breakout star following in their footsteps.

Since his draft year, he has hit the gym and added 10 kilograms to his frame. He now has the body size to compete with the league’s big men.

That has been shown in his improvement in the VFL. He is averaging 93 ranking points (above average for his position, per Champion Data), 1.9 goals (elite) and 7.6 contested possessions (above average).

These numbers are unrecognisable to the Chol of yesteryear who struggled with form and injury in his first three seasons at Tigerland.

He was rewarded for his strong VFL form with a call up in Round 13 against Adelaide; he was beaten by emerging talent Reilly O’Brien in the ruck, although he still showed a glimpse of his potential.

Two weeks later Chol vindicated the club’s decision to re-rookie him. Against St Kilda, he had a breakout performance, nabbing 16 disposals and kicking three goals.

“Today was certainly the best game he’s played,” Hardwick said.

“He’s certainly got some talent. I think we can see why he’s hung ‘round our footy club.”

Now the Tigers coach just wants to see Chol perform at a high level more consistently.

“He’s just gotta learn to get the consistency of AFL and what that is and what it looks like, and I think he can be a player for us,” he said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-mabior-chol-is-showing-why-richmond-kept-the-faith-after-a-breakout-game-against-st-kilda/news-story/6a122d158710a3956ae29b1f27e6a565

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #209 on: July 02, 2019, 07:46:20 AM »
Was pretty worried about him, showed little flashes but massively inconsistant.
Great game, can he maintain is the ?