Author Topic: Is anyone else worried that Lids has done too much in his 1st season?  (Read 2972 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Is anyone else worried that Lids has done too much in his 1st season?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2005, 04:26:02 PM »
thats true wp! why the hell do they wear that blue guernsey with and green and yellow!

thats right they do because the green clashes with the irish, but then again, why dont we just wear a yellow top with a green v ???

Seeing both team have the same national colours (or at least both have green) - why doesn't the home team get to wear the Green and whatever other colour and the away team something else (like the Aussie do with the blue) ???

I would think that would be fair :thumbsup

I can't see the GAA allowing orange to be added lol.

In other sports we've added blue. The Socceroos wore blue as a alternative strip when playing countries like Brazil. IIRC some of our Olympic trackies down the years have been mostly blue also.

We've always worn the same IR guernsey. Maybe it was done to distinguish ourselves from the rugby guernseys (wallabies and kangaroos).     
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2005, 09:53:53 PM »
Thanks for all that X-interesting to read.

now when ur young your body can recover alot quicker than when u get older

Aint that the truth,X, aint that the truth.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 09:55:38 PM by DallasCrane »
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

letsgetiton!

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2005, 06:34:51 AM »
Thanks for all that X-interesting to read.

now when ur young your body can recover alot quicker than when u get older

Aint that the truth,X, aint that the truth.

anytime  :thumbsup

Ox

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2005, 07:39:40 AM »

wp, i value ur opinion, but i dont really care whether its a fluff game or not, its a game that represents our country, afl footy at this stage dosnt allow this, so this hybrid game is all footy players can do in order to wear the green and gold!

LMAO@ Representing Australia in a game that we dont even play.
Series is a joke

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2005, 04:00:08 PM »
At least in the hybrid game the players want to play and take it seriously so it gets credence in my book even though it's not Aussie Rules. State of Origin had become a farce by the end with nearly every star player (with their club's backing) using any niggle as an excuse not to play.

I'm sure Wallace would have been very happy to see Newman and Lids play in a game that's mostly about run and carry then dishing off with a kick or handball to keep the ball moving quickly forward. Plus IMO kicking a round ball for a while improves hand-eye-foot technique for when it comes to kicking the easier oval ball. You always need to hit the centre sweet spot of a round ball otherwise it can go anywhere.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2005, 05:02:39 PM »
If we’re not going to have State of Origin then it’s good to have some form of representative footy, because it can be a good learning experience, especially for younger players.  The more seriously players take these opportunities then the greater the benefits for them, because the preparation, pressure and intensity can resemble that of a big match, whatever form the game takes.

The concept might not be perfect, but regardless of what the series may or may not mean to people, the benefit and meaning for those players representing their country would go a lot deeper than whether their team wins the series or not, because of what they are able to learn from other players and different coaches, and just from the overall experience.

You have to hand it to Kevin Sheedy; he doesn’t believe in doing anything half-heartedly and it was inspirational to see what he did with a curious mix of players in such a short space of time.  There may not have been a lot of hype or expectation surrounding the series, but watching the match last week, it was hard not to get caught up in it.  The efforts of the Australian players were brilliant and their commitment and enthusiasm made you want to watch.  You could see that the game meant something to them, because it showed in the way they played and in their excitement after the win. 

It’s not every day that some of those players will get that sort of opportunity, which is probably worth a few AFL games of experience.  The experience and confidence boost gained by someone like Chris Newman will benefit his footy club in the long run.  Same for any player who is prepared to take these games as seriously as he seems to be taking them, and have it help them become a better player.

From that point of view, it wouldn’t matter to me how these representative games are packaged, as long as the benefits for the players remained the same.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2005, 07:23:39 PM »

wp, i value ur opinion, but i dont really care whether its a fluff game or not, its a game that represents our country, afl footy at this stage dosnt allow this, so this hybrid game is all footy players can do in order to wear the green and gold!

LMAO@ Representing Australia in a game that we dont even play.
Series is a joke

would not care if it was knitting, representing ur country is just that, whether we play this hybrd game or not is not the point