Author Topic: Favourite holidaying places and wishlists  (Read 7172 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Favourite holidaying places and wishlists
« on: October 18, 2005, 06:21:30 PM »
The warmer weather gets the travel bug going.

What places OS and around Oz have you guys been to or do you eventually want to get to? What was the best?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Moi

Re: Favourite holidaying places and wishlists
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 07:01:55 PM »
O/S:  Didn't get to Santorini, but stayed a week at a local weekender island for locals in Greek Islands called Hydra.  Very relaxing, swimming, siestas, drinking, dining, CHEAP JEWELLERY and lots of cats and shipping tycoons.  Loved the place.  Also the island Mal Brown got arrested on on an end of season trip lol

For beauty - Isle of Capri, Sorrento, Amalfi coastline and Kauai in Hawaii where they made all those movies - South Pacific, Raiders of the Lost Ark etc, Waimea canyon. 

Wish list:  I luv Oz and loved Port Douglas, the reef etc.  Would like to do the Whitsundays, go to Broome where a friend has just set up a backpackers website and i said i'd visit one day.

Locally - Venus Bay rejuvenates the system and Lake Eildon was fun = spent my hols there for a few years on a houseboat - until the people i spent it with had the bad form to split up and ruin my hols lol. 

They're all great holidays.  No ambition to go to Bali, Phuket etc. - doesn't appeal.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 01:38:25 PM »
Been to Europe & New Zealand in my younger years  ;D

Favourite cities were Edinburgh and Berlin. Absolutely loved Berlin would go back tomorrow. When I was there it was only a fews years after the Wall came down and you had two very different cultures still adjusting. The other thing was it was so fascinating to see what used to be East and West - the difference in buildings etc was amazing. Would be great to go back and see how much it's change since the last time

Have to say I also have a soft spot for Zurich and Innsbruck in Austria

In Australia - too many to list ;D

Now - when we travel we go anywhere we can take the doggies (I have 2 now :)) - down the coast - Cape Otway is great for holidaying with Doggies :thumbsup

As for the future would love to go to Canada, back to Scotland to go further north and back to Germany and Switzerland
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 02:56:37 PM »
Spent all the summer Hols as a kid with the fam down on the mornington peninsula. Then it all dissapeared for a while - now I have my nephew 11 with me have started going again as of a few years ago (To give him the memories I have of summer at the beach). It is also great for my soul to get down there at least once a year in summer to recharge the batteries. and do F all for a couple of weeks.

O/S a bit overated IMO - Have been to US, England - and a tour of the West Indies following the aussie cricket team around the Islands. That was cool.

Have been just about everywhere in OZ and been around a couple of times - Oz has got it all, the Tropics / Sub tropics - Desert - Outback - Beaches - to Alpine forests and SNOW - Really dont see how you cant find what you need here apart from the cultural aspect. We live in the best place on this planet and I advise anyone out there to check out your own country first, it is a damn big and beautiful country we live in.

mmmmmmm laying on the beach in summer doing nothing - youv'e got me hanging out for Jan now. :cheers We actually went down last sunday for the day and had a swim  - yep summer is a comin :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 04:31:22 PM »
[qoute author=WilliamPowell link=topic=2333.msg24586#msg24586 date=1129693105]
 Absolutely loved Berlin would go back tomorrow. When I was there it was only a fews years after the Wall came down and you had two very different cultures still adjusting. The other thing was it was so fascinating to see what used to be East and West - the difference in buildings etc was amazing. Would be great to go back and see how much it's change since the last time

Berlin is fantastic. I went there 4 years ago (so a bit after you WP) for work purposes for a week (all expenses paid for :thumbsup) so didn't get to see as much as I wanted to so would love to go back again. Still got to see the old centre of the Unter den linden, Reichstag, Potsdammer platz, Checkpoint Charlie  and sailed on a yacht at night on the Wansee. Also did a bus tour they had organised for us around Potsdam with the German guide cracking anti-Nazi jokes in true Fawlty Towers style when he found out we were mostly British and Australian ;D.

The whole middle strip of the city where the Wall was was still one big construction site. Cranes everywhere as they were finishing off all the new federal government buildings for the move from the old West German capital Bonn back to Berlin. They had unified the public transport system which shames anything here in Oz. S-bahn, U-bahn, trams and buses which can take you anywhere and everywhere. Loved the old East German carriages where instead of a beeper, a siren would go off before the doors slammed shut lol.

I stayed in a hotel in East Berlin which was in the suburbs 25 mins out so there were lovely old-style individual houses around there but in the eastern half of the centre of the city around Alexanderplatz there were plain white square block flats for miles and miles to see left over from the communist days. A huge contrast to the nightlife and restaurants along the Ku-damm in the Western half.

In Germany I've also went to Munich and the beautiful quaint small town of Heidelberg. The latter again as part of my work trip ;). In between I got the train and travelled down to Italy to Rome :thumbsup, Florence, Pisa and Venice and had a great time.

Also had some unusual moments - I wasn't allowed into the Vatican wearing cargo shorts even though it was bloody 35 degrees outside (I didn't realise my legs were offensive ???); I got asked by a couple of Aussie girls from Perth who thought I was a local if I spoke English :rollin; had a gay Armenian waitor who spoke 5 languages try and give me his number at a restaurant;  had some pommy pervert come up to me in Venice and ask me if I liked wearing long black football socks :X. He was lucky he didn't end up in the canal nearby. I also unashamedly did the geeky thing in Pisa of getting my photo taken pretending that I'm holding up the leaning tower :lol.

Wishlist: Too many  - The rest of Western Europe in particular Scotland (heritage), to Moscow and catch the Siberian railway to Beijing, Japan, Canada/US, the Andes and Eygpt. With the latter two a bit put off by the local troubles :(.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 04:49:35 PM »
OS: Lived in Cambridge, UK for a while. Great little town. Spent a lot of time in London, Bournemouth, Nottingham. Great times. Generally just got ratarsed .... English chicks are loose as  :thumbsup

Went over to Ireland and loved every minute of it. Once up in Dublin with three mates. General activities - see above but replace 'English' with 'Irish'. Once met Tadgh Kenelley in a pub in Listowel, Kerry (the town they were showing on GF day).

Spent a couple of weeks in New York. Most interesting place I have been, I think. I was pretty underwhelmed with London as a place, though it had its own character, but New York was mindblowing. Unfortunately I was 19 at the time so no getting wasted.

Oz. Been round a fair bit, but not too much to get excitied about. Been up to Airlie beach. See above, but replace 'English' with 'Swedish'. Gotta get going when you're young... you can always come back and live in some caravan park by the sea.....

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 04:50:48 PM »
In Germany I've also went to Munich and the beautiful quaint small town of Heidelberg. The latter again as part of my work trip ;).

Yeah I went to Munich too - didn't like as much as Berlin.

Also went to Colonge (or Koln as they say over there) beautiful old city. In Koln I was walking back to my Hotel which was about 15 minutes away, it was about 28 degrees and I'm enjoying the sunshine and within in the space of 3-5 minutes it went from sunshine to overcast to the biggest storm you can imagine. The storm lasted no more than 3 minutes but I got soaked to the bone it was amazing - Melbourne weather on the other side of the world :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 05:10:14 PM »
In Germany I've also went to Munich and the beautiful quaint small town of Heidelberg. The latter again as part of my work trip ;).

Yeah I went to Munich too - didn't like as much as Berlin.

I was in Munich when September 11 happened. Wondered what the crowd around the big screen at the main railway station were looking at and it was CNN dubbed in German with English scrolling down the bottom saying a plane had crashed into the WTC :(

Moi

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 06:13:07 PM »
I was thinking this was about our favourite beach spots for some reason lol - maybe i should read it properly.

Actually loved NY like the Jakester - would be my favourite by far.  Only spent a week there, but just loved the atmosphere, the people (generally in your face and not impressed with nothing, they've seen it all lol), so much to see.  Took my daughter, so there was no playing up for me either, but was interesting taking her to places like the red light district at midnight and watching the hookers.  Her face lit up in a look of horror.  No, we weren't walking through it - driving with friends who were showing us around.  Then ended up at Rosie O'Gradys, an Irish pub/restaurant thing till 4.00 in hte morning.  One very tired 12 year old.  Going to Tiffany's in shorts and thongs, Fao Schwarz, central park, the usual places - going to the theatre to see Tap Dancing Kid which was amazing, stat of liberty etc, etc, etc.  Just loved the place, the people and everything about it  :thumbsup

And being with a 12 year old, liked Orlando as well - made for kids.  Disneyworld, Epcot Centre, Wet 'n' Wild, very hot weather which i loved, the Southern accent and the friendliness (although seemed a bit false, unlike the NYers who weren't friendly and open, but i seemed to like that better for some strange reason than the south.

Never thought I'd like America, but was probably the highlight of a great world trip.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 08:03:48 AM »
Been to Europe, New Zealand and Hong Kong.

Those who have been to Munich - did you go to Dachua?  Amazing place - really gets you thinking about the atrocities of war.

BTW - guess who's going bareboating around the Whitsundays next month? :cheers

Moi

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 01:02:21 PM »

Cow lol  :rollin

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 03:30:52 PM »
Those who have been to Munich - did you go to Dachua?  Amazing place - really gets you thinking about the atrocities of war.

Nah I didn't get there Julz. The Deutsche Museum in Munich had a section on one of the Nazi "labour" camps (I've forgotten it's name) that was hidden in the mountains. It might have been one of the places where they were working on rockets. The prisoner uniforms on display and in the photographs were the same striped ones as where used in the death camps.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2005, 04:57:03 PM »

Nope didn't go there Julz. But there was a museum in Berlin that had some amazing artefacts from WWII that certainly got you thinking. Also in Berlin there is Church (cannot remember the name at the moment) in one of the main streets that was bombed during the war - the Church spiral was severely damaged. Instead of re-building it they left it as a memorial to the war - again amazing

Good on ya! :scream ;D

I have a couple of weeks off next month.

Nothing as luxurious as the Whitsundays but we are heading off for a few days (doggie less  :'(). First trip away in 12 months - been told I need it  :cheers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2005, 10:39:35 PM »
Also in Berlin there is Church (cannot remember the name at the moment) in one of the main streets that was bombed during the war - the Church spiral was severely damaged. Instead of re-building it they left it as a memorial to the war - again amazing

Kasier Wilhelm memorial church

WP and I would get jobs with the Berlin tourist bureau the way we're going :rollin
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 10:43:17 PM by mightytiges »

Moi

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 10:49:38 PM »
Doesn't that modern building next to the other look hideous.  About as appropriate as Fed Square next to St Paul's lol.